• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

JimG.

Staff member

drjeff

Yeah I read this same article today. These people are idiots, the part about playing beer pong by spitting a ping pong ball out of your mouth into cups of beer other people drank and also sharing spitty ping pong balls proves they are idiots.
Unfortunately my hunch is over the next 7-10 days we're going to see isolated (hopefully isolated atleast) bumps in new cases that will epidemiologically be traced back to Spring break antics....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

One vulnerability the Northeast ski market may have is that it is so dependent on New York City - and New York City looks like it is going to bear the brunt of this virus.

If I were thinking about locating a business somewhere, New York City would be low on my list. The second tier cities are looking much better right now.

Smellytele

One vulnerability the Northeast ski market may have is that it is so dependent on New York City - and New York City looks like it is going to bear the brunt of this virus.

If I were thinking about locating a business somewhere, New York City would be low on my list. The second tier cities are looking much better right now.

Maine and NH not so much as VT (obviously NY as well)

JimG.

Staff member
Unfortunately my hunch is over the next 7-10 days we're going to see isolated (hopefully isolated atleast) bumps in new cases that will epidemiologically be traced back to Spring break antics....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

More ignorant morons!

On another note I had a routine visit with my doctor today. A follow up on a surgical procedure.

The parking lot and the office were virtually empty. He works in a large practice, Caremount Medical. He told me that if the shutdown lasts 3 months they will go out of business.

So the economy shutdown will end sooner than later unless we want healthcare to stop.

Jcb890

More ignorant morons!

On another note I had a routine visit with my doctor today. A follow up on a surgical procedure.

The parking lot and the office were virtually empty. He works in a large practice, Caremount Medical. He told me that if the shutdown lasts 3 months they will go out of business.

So the economy shutdown will end sooner than later unless we want healthcare to stop.
I don't agree. Though it would certainly hurt private/small practices and may force them out of business.
However, the bailout/stimulus package being discussed/passed will help fix stuff a bit.

thebigo

In our small corner of NH, elective beds are being transitioned to CCU beds. Elective staff are being optioned to reassign or take leave. Reassignment is broad and may include another facility, cleaning, transition or greeting.

One of the major problems is going to be lack of advance directives. Everyone, especially those in the high risk pool, should make sure they have their advance directives in place. Failing to do so will put health care workers and neighbors at risk; it will also put family in an unnecessary and terrible position.

machski

While not in use yet, Manchester has already converted the SNHU center into a lower level hospital ward, saving full hospital beds for the most ill. Still hasn't gotten close to needing that yet (last report was only 108 confirmed cases in state with a 13% hospitalization rate), but it is set up already and ready. Now, if Manchester NH could do that, how has NYC not been able to do something similar on their own? You know, big, high taxed city and bigger, much higher taxed state and all???

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

Now, if Manchester NH could do that, how has NYC not been able to do something similar on their own? You know, big, high taxed city and bigger, much higher taxed state and all???

Too much government beauracracy and a lot more cases all at once due to population density

BenedictGomez

fbrissette

New York State also declined the advice of their medical advisors who told them they didnt have enough ventilators. So there's that, which seems pretty relevant, but really isnt getting any attention.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-di...rtage-leaders-chose-not-to-prep-for-pandemic/

No country/state/province/city is going to stock half a billion $ worth of ventilators just in case. In addition, ventilators is just one of the many things which would be needed to prepare for a pandemic. Ventilators would be useless for an haemorrhagic ebola-like fever for example. This link is just a terrible, tendentious piece of crap.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While not in use yet, Manchester has already converted the SNHU center into a lower level hospital ward, saving full hospital beds for the most ill. Still hasn't gotten close to needing that yet (last report was only 108 confirmed cases in state with a 13% hospitalization rate), but it is set up already and ready. Now, if Manchester NH could do that, how has NYC not been able to do something similar on their own? You know, big, high taxed city and bigger, much higher taxed state and all???

They are. It's already done at the Jacob Javitz Center. Others will be online soon

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
No country/state/province/city is going to stock half a billion $ worth of ventilators just in case. In addition, ventilators is just one of the many things which would be needed to prepare for a pandemic. Ventilators would be useless for an haemorrhagic ebola-like fever for example. This link is just a terrible, tendentious piece of crap.

While I agree the NY Post is certainly not a partisan free source of info, it is clear that in the US where healthcare is run as a for profit industry that doctor's recommendations are the last to be considered. Healthcare here is run by insurance companies and hospital administrators charged with producing profit for shareholders.

Which is why I will no longer buy health insurance after my youngest son graduates from college. Concierge medicine for me and my wife after that.

Smellytele

Too busy blaming trump to actually do something on their own. ( I am not a trump supporter just hate hearing Cuomo whine)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

No country/state/province/city is going to stock half a billion $ worth of ventilators just in case.

I don't disagree with you that they might not have done the full bag of potatoes, and I also recognize that the folks who do things like pandemic prep often (if not usually) go overboard, but there's a happy medium between not taking their expert advice on the full bag of potatoes, and pretty much doing absolutely nothing.

Even if New York bought 1/3 of the recommended medical experts buy, New York State would be in much better shape right now. Given New York State is spending hundreds-of-millions of dollars on such critical things (sarcasm) like solar panels, that doesnt seem terribly unreasonable.

MEtoVTSkier

God forbid the power ever went down. Would make all the ventilators nice paperweights. Somebody better come up with a backup plan for the backup plan.