• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

kendo

Vail's latest to Epic pass holders.

Over the last couple of weeks, we have seen the world take numerous measures in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. For Vail Resorts, that has meant closing all 34 of our North American resorts. That difficult decision was necessary in order to prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, our communities and our guests. Since then, our focus has been on supporting guests and employees in returning home, ensuring the safety of everyone staying in our resorts, transitioning all of our corporate services to “work from home,” and now, today, closing our call center due to stay-at-home orders.

In the midst of all of this, I want you to know that we have not forgotten about you, our pass holders. I have read your emails and comments on social media. I completely understand your frustrations and your concerns about this past season.

We deeply value the loyalty you have placed with us by purchasing one of our pass products and we are committed to identifying an approach that acknowledges this past season and retains your loyalty for the future. I ask for your continued patience and understanding as we remain focused on the real-time challenges that COVID-19 is currently presenting to our employees, our communities and our company. And with many different pass products, we want to ensure that any action takes into consideration all of our pass holders.

We intend to reach back out to you with more information by the end of April. In the meantime, we are deferring all auto-renew charges and all spring deadlines for Buddy Tickets into May.

We sincerely hope that all of you, your friends and your loved ones remain safe during this unprecedented time and that the world comes together to move past the challenges we currently face.

Sincerely,

Kirsten Lynch
EVP and Chief Marketing Officer
Vail Resorts

Last edited:

icecoast1

No country/state/province/city is going to stock half a billion $ worth of ventilators just in case. In addition, ventilators is just one of the many things which would be needed to prepare for a pandemic. Ventilators would be useless for an haemorrhagic ebola-like fever for example. This link is just a terrible, tendentious piece of crap.

The ventilators are just one example of the states lack of preparedness. And if they had listened to the report and stockpiled supplies as they were told they needed vs wasting money on other things, they would have saved money because they wouldn't be paying well over sticker price for everything as they are now. The state screwed up and now wants the federal government to bail them out

machski

That's gonna be a LOT of generators to take care of all those ventilators and other medical equipment. The temporary hospital set-ups probabaly won't have big systems, if any, like real hospitals.
The temporary hospitals in NH aren't meant for the advanced, severe cases. They are designed and set up for lighter cases to unload the full hospitals for the most severely ill.

I was in Teterboro most of last week and while the Javitz center may be up now, they were just debating setting that up last week. And they were already further along with hospital capacity issues than NH (which, with only about 13 Covid hospitalizations to date, really isn't straining anything as yet). Just saying.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

fbrissette

The ventilators are just one example of the states lack of preparedness. And if they had listened to the report and stockpiled supplies as they were told they needed vs wasting money on other things, they would have saved money because they wouldn't be paying well over sticker price for everything as they are now. The state screwed up and now wants the federal government to bail them out
My point is not that should not have prepared. The point is that if the cost to get prepared is several billions of $ (half a billion just for ventilators) just in case something like this happens, this would be an impossible sell for any politicians. And you should really ask if these billions of $ would be put to a much better use to save more lives in the mean time. In addition, the truth is that nobody has prepared for this so blaming New-York is cheap and counterproductive. It's cheap politics. There are lots of reasons why New-York is hit first. It's going to hit the Bible belt eventually and I hope nobody will do cheap politics when their health care system is overloaded.

JimG.

Staff member
My point is not that should not have prepared. The point is that if the cost to get prepared is several billions of $ (half a billion just for ventilators) just in case something like this happens, this would be an impossible sell for any politicians. And you should really ask if these billions of $ would be put to a much better use to save more lives in the mean time. In addition, the truth is that nobody has prepared for this so blaming New-York is cheap and counterproductive. It's cheap politics. There are lots of reasons why New-York is hit first. It's going to hit the Bible belt eventually and I hope nobody will do cheap politics when their health care system is overloaded.

This is true...the sad fact is that nobody in the USA was prepared for this.

Our "leaders" on both sides of the aisle failed miserably at the most important job they are sworn to do...protect the American people. It seems it's the last thing any of them care about.

Smellytele

But cuomo whining about trump not being prepared is counterproductive as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

icecoast1

It was literally his own health commissioner and a group of experts appointed by the commissioner that told him he wasn't prepared. You'd think if a group of experts says you're unprepared for a pandemic in your state, you'd at least want to find some happy medium in between doing nothing and the far out scenario the experts came up with. All the reasons that New York City is getting hit as hard as it is are also all the reasons NY should be better prepared, and prepared in ways other stays might not be. I'm sure people would generally be supportive of spending more money on disaster preparedness instead of the many other things our tax payer dollars get wasted on in this state.

ScottySkis

This is true...the sad fact is that nobody in the USA was prepared for this.

Our "leaders" on both sides of the aisle failed miserably at the most important job they are sworn to do...protect the American people. It seems it's the last thing any of them care about.

It's fucken true they care about citizens of USA.
It truth they don't tell is now in my opinion is We are a 3 world country

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pandemic preparedness and response should start and end with the Fed because this is a national issue. Hell, its a global issue. Remember, the US was pretty much the reason Ebola didn't get out of control.

Do you really want to rely on a poor state such as Mississippi calling their own shots when they can't afford to do the right thing and their inaction might screw everywhere else? One of our richest states couldn't get it done right and things are going haywire because of it.

The shortage of supplies with PPE and Ventilator technology to have acceptable strategic reserves could very easily be managed through a public/private partnership.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

flakeydog

This is very much a federal issue. That way a larger (much larger) pool of resources can be distributed to where it is needed most when it is needed. That is what we do now with most natural disasters. To expect states to independently be prepared for every impending distasteful is incredibly inefficient and just pits one state against another. Oh wait, that’s what we’re doing now with supplies and it’s a train wreck. This state by state BS on what aid you get from the feds, and the commentary that comes with it, has grown old over the last 3 years. In situations like this, we are one nation, not a collection of red and blue states. It would be nice if our leadership saw it that way.

drjeff

Pandemic preparedness and response should start and end with the Fed because this is a national issue. Hell, its a global issue. Remember, the US was pretty much the reason Ebola didn't get out of control.

Do you really want to rely on a poor state such as Mississippi calling their own shots when they can't afford to do the right thing and their inaction might screw everywhere else? One of our richest states couldn't get it done right and things are going haywire because of it.

The shortage of supplies with PPE and Ventilator technology to have acceptable strategic reserves could very easily be managed through a public/private partnership.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

This is very much a federal issue. That way a larger (much larger) pool of resources can be distributed to where it is needed most when it is needed. That is what we do now with most natural disasters. To expect states to independently be prepared for every impending distasteful is incredibly inefficient and just pits one state against another. Oh wait, that’s what we’re doing now with supplies and it’s a train wreck. This state by state BS on what aid you get from the feds, and the commentary that comes with it, has grown old over the last 3 years. In situations like this, we are one nation, not a collection of red and blue states. It would be nice if our leadership saw it that way.

It needs to be a team effort though.

The states certainly have more intimate knowledge of their town to town/city to city population and needs than the Feds do.

The Feds have more resources at their disposal that the states do

The combo when it's the states making their initial assessment of what they believe they need, and then asking the Feds for X, Y and Z, and then having the Feds come in to help, and provide more guidance and support is what is being talked about.

This isn't a one size fits all situation, so the states giving the Feds some guidance is one of the keys to getting the best and timeliest response for everyone. It's not perfect, but it helps with trying to send the limited resources available where they are most needed when they're needed.

Managing a public health situation like this is, when such a vast area of the country and world are simultaneously involved, is basically an impossible task to get it "right" for everyone everywhere all the time. That's the reality of this situation, and using some more localized planning will help get as much of the resources where they can do the most good for the largest number of people right now

BenedictGomez

The states certainly have more intimate knowledge of their town to town/city to city population and needs than the Feds do.

The Feds have more resources at their disposal that the states do

I agree with this, but this pandemic has made me realize there's an inherent problem here. The states are likely going to ask for more then they need, either to be conservative, or for a politician to cover his ass, and this will stress that supply system.

Real world example happening now: Cuomo keeps going on TV saying that NYC needs 30,000 ventilators. Nobody I've seen once has ever questioned this, but it seems nearly impossible in a city of 8.6M people given only about 5% will require ICU treatment, and the fact that not 100% of ICU patients will require vent. The infection rate would have to dramatically increase from where it is now, which seems highly unlikely given NYC has gone from completely ignoring COVID19 to now taking it seriously. So lets say NYC winds up needing 17,000 vents and you do provide them the 30,000 requested; well that's a HUGE problem for numerous other places in America if you misallocate 13,000 ventilators.

ScottySkis

I agree with this, but this pandemic has made me realize there's an inherent problem here. The states are likely going to ask for more then they need, either to be conservative, or for a politician to cover his ass, and this will stress that supply system.

Real world example happening now: Cuomo keeps going on TV saying that NYC needs 30,000 ventilators. Nobody I've seen once has ever questioned this, but it seems nearly impossible in a city of 8.6M people given only about 5% will require ICU treatment, and the fact that not 100% of ICU patients will require vent. The infection rate would have to dramatically increase from where it is now, which seems highly unlikely given NYC has gone from completely ignoring COVID19 to now taking it seriously. So lets say NYC winds up needing 17,000 vents and you do provide them the 30,000 requested; well that's a HUGE problem for numerous other places in America if you misallocate 13,000 ventilators.

This fucken bullshit is killing our best healthcare people that are trying the best to serve patients.
Why all you debate everyone here maybe your right about governor combo or wrong really don't matter in times like these is from my cousin who work in NYC hospital

"We don’t have enough tests for patients or staff. The system is ramping up, but we have known exposures and staff are being told to keep working unless they become symptomatic.

flakeydog

This kind of makes the point as to why some sort of centralized oversight is necessary. If you leave it to each state "get their own stuff", they will undoubtedly aim high. This is why the "your on your own/me first" strategy is a bit flawed in situations like these. If you introduce a competitive element to procuring supplies, you make a scarce resource even harder to get. Why do you think we cant find toilet paper? We are likely not using more but human nature causes some people to take more than they need fearing they will not be able to get it otherwise. These are to become shared resources. Unused or unneeded stuff goes back or is redeployed, especially since parts of the country are likely on different demand cycles (which I think Gov C. specifically said).

Another good example is how our Fire Departments work. Town A has a dept that is capable of handling most incidents but when things get bad, they call in other departments. If you take some of the things that the fed has said it would be like requiring each and every town to have the resources to fight the worst fires on hand at all times and not be able to call out to other depts for assistance. You need an extra pumper truck? too bad, you should have had it already and no, you cant use mine. Me first, you are on your own.

JimG.

Staff member
Our Neros in federal government fiddle as Rome burns.

I'm staying home just because I'm so disgusted at the stupidity and selfishness out there. And that applies to people outside the government too. This has brought into laser focus the fact that my family and I are on our own.

I wanted to fish today but the stocking trucks were here on Monday and since they had to operate with only 1 worker all the fish were put in at bridges. Since the fish will congregate there for a few days, yes you guessed it there are tons of fishermen crowding together catching all those fish. And it's not even legal to be fishing yet (save for a few places), that's not until 4/1. By then there won't be any fish left. The selfishness is astounding!!!

This bullshit might inspire me to finally go get a firearm, something I have always maintained I would never do.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

This fucken bullshit is killing our best healthcare people that are trying the best to serve patients.
Why all you debate everyone here maybe your right about governor combo or wrong really don't matter in times like these is from my cousin who work in NYC hospital

"We don’t have enough tests for patients or staff. The system is ramping up, but we have known exposures and staff are being told to keep working unless they become symptomatic.

I read that twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I dont understand how it correlates or has anything to do with the supply chain points I was making.

BenedictGomez

This bullshit might inspire me to finally go get a firearm, something I have always maintained I would never do.

SEE: Hurricane Katrina aftermath

Dont go looking for that story from established news sources, you likely wont find it. Read local inhabitants of greater New Orleans first-hand accounts. A firearm was a very handy thing to have, to put it lightly.