• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

KustyTheKlown

You shouldn’t have gone at all but it sounds like you had the exact same sobering experience that I had on Saturday at Stratton. The second is got lift liney at like 11 I realized how shitty I was being and left immediately

None of us are special. We aren’t magically going to be the only people there. If resorts are open, people will ski, and the virus will spread at ski resorts.

Stay home, read a book, wait this out. It’s the only thing we can do.

icecoast1

Yeah it's a shame people dont get that this time off isnt meant for vacationing. Watching people behave at ski areas in the last few days is just one of many examples of how people can't be trusted to behave responsibly in those situations

icecoast1

You shouldn’t have gone at all but it sounds like you had the exact same sobering experience that I had on Saturday at Stratton. The second is got lift liney at like 11 I realized how shitty I was being and left immediately

None of us are special. We aren’t magically going to be the only people there. If resorts are open, people will ski, and the virus will spread at ski resorts.

Stay home, read a book, wait this out. It’s the only thing we can do.

Saw the same thing at mount snow saturday. Many people just.dont give a shit

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah it's a shame people dont get that this time off isnt meant for vacationing. Watching people behave at ski areas in the last few days is just one of many examples of how people can't be trusted to behave responsibly in those situations

Saw the same thing at mount snow saturday. Many people just.dont give a shit

Out here in conservative LDS Utah, we have people who are using this moment as a way to say, "F-U government, I can do what I want." Fine. The consequence of that is that when you spread the virus to others there will be deaths. In other words, look at your friends and family and have them each play Russian Roulette. If you are prepared to accept that, then have at it. But when your parent in his/her 60's or 70's gets it and dies from respiratory failure thanks to YOUR "freedom", then we won't cry for you.

We also have ignorant/stupid people out here that are sick and NOT getting care because they are scared.

I'm home today and getting used to being at home. I have a lot of stuff to do around here. It is nice and quiet. Be smart and be safe.

ScottySkis

How on earth does Cannon think its' operating within the CDC & government's guidelines?

Just yesterday the CDC lowered it's guidelines to "no more than 50 people gathered" and Trump said he'd like people to consider going even lower @ no more than 10.

Don't know how
Few other places in NY still open and I am not name them

BenedictGomez

Around noon throngs of teen park rats started showing up. Theyre pushing in line if there's people trying to wait single. Even was way to the side of a trail on a run out and one comes within 3 feet of me and says "HOW DO YOU LIKE THE SNOW BRO?" It was a holiday weekend type crowd...tons of families and even people skiing for the first time. I expected it to just be core skiers just getting one more day in like I was trying to do, but damn.

During the White House press conference yesterday one of the doctors appealed directly to millennials, because using other nations data they seem to be the most infected age cohort, as well as being the least likely to take this seriously. A really bad combo.

She said, they are the core group that will stop this virus" (or not).

Then again TODAY at the WH presser:

"Again, we please ask the younger generation to STOP going out to restaurants & bars, or taking needsless trips even to places like grocery stores spreading asymptomatic viral contagion onto surfaces, grocery carts, etc.." Mentions how it's endangering to the elderly.

Then AGAIN today, Dr. Fauci, pretty much a household name at this point, stepped-up to the mic and said he KNOWS it's already been said in today's presser, but that "this virus cannot be stopped unless young people change their behaviour, stop going to bars & restaurants" stop having parties etc.. - it genuinely seems like the White House medical experts think people in their 20's are the #1 problem right now.

I totally get that from reviewing the South Korean data daily as I have been doing (most infected age cohort).

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ok...since we seem to be picking sides...I went to the bank and the thrift store today. Hit the mall yesterday for a haircut (cheapest place in town oddly enough and never a wait). Burn me at the stake if you must :roll:

I'm considering Cannon or Gunstock Thursday if the skiing is good and if they're open (which I doubt).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok...since we seem to be picking sides...I went to the bank and the thrift store today. Hit the mall yesterday for a haircut (cheapest place in town oddly enough and never a wait). Burn me at the stake if you must :roll:

I'm considering Cannon or Gunstock Thursday if the skiing is good and if they're open (which I doubt).

My point is going to a ski area right now is fine if you accept the risk. It seems everyone wants to do what they want but don't take responsibility.

The data as to "who" is getting really sick and dying is staggering--older folks (as in north of 60)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My point is going to a ski area right now is fine if you accept the risk. It seems everyone wants to do what they want but don't take responsibility.

The data as to "who" is getting really sick and dying is staggering--older folks (as in north of 60)

I do accept the risk. I have every right to. I'm doing my part- staying away from old folks (neighbors and family) and keeping my distance in public.

Not sure why some people have to bring down their moral reign onto others though (not directed at you trailboss). As long as we're allowed out of our houses we're entitled to whichever camp we decide to be in. Other people must think the same way or else there'd be a hellova lot less people at the bank, thrift store, and tire center for my emissions today. And the grocery store lot was packed like a weekend still.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I do accept the risk. I have every right to. I'm doing my part- staying away from old folks (neighbors and family) and keeping my distance in public.

Not sure why some people have to bring down their moral reign onto others though (not directed at you trailboss). As long as we're allowed out of our houses we're entitled to whichever camp we decide to be in. Other people must think the same way or else there'd be a hellova lot less people at the bank, thrift store, and tire center for my emissions today. And the grocery store lot was packed like a weekend still.

Simple. Those in public health have determined, as public policy, that it is in the best interest of everyone to contain and slow down this epidemic.

icecoast1

The issue is for every one person that goes out and behaves responsibly, there are 10 that dont. I personally dont care what choice you make, I just hope it doesnt come to the point of complete lockdown because of those that act recklessly

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is true, I acknowledge that.

The thing that is interesting is that the risk, for you, is actually quite low, but the potential damages are very high. I went to a presentation a couple years ago that discussed these kinds of activities--the list may sound familiar as to outrage, panic, etc--nuclear energy, oil and gas pipeline construction and routes, and transportation of radioactive material. The actual RISK of an accident is very low, but the perceived impact from such an event are indeed HIGH. So for whatever reason people freak out and protest and do whatever they can to stop these activities. This is kind of the same thing.