• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think folks need to start taking their travel considerations more seriously. For those unaware I sell advanced patient monitoring equipment to hospitals. The exact type of equipment needed for caring for patients with diseases such as Covid-19. We were set to install an entire hospitals worth of equipment tomorrow morning at 6AM. This hospital and general area has no reported cases of coronavirus. It's probably as safe of a hospital to be working in right now as you'll find. We have all been recalled home within the next 24 hours and the installation has been delayed. We are the third largest company in the world that does this type of work. At minimum a full two week travel ban has been instituted except for emergency repairs to not only keep our staff safe, but also keep our customers safe.

If the companies that help hospitals treat patients with Covid-19 aren't traveling right now, it's probably a good indication that folks should not be traveling far from home for any reason, nevermind skiing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

How are people supposed to pay their bills? Not everyone has the luxary of being able to sit at home and get paid. Its pretty easy to say people should be doing this when it's not you that are facing the the prospects of not being able to pay your mortgage, feed your family, etc. Also in terms of not catching a disease, a hospital is probably the worst place to be right now if you dont have to. It's also highly likely that this is more than just a 2 week thing. Are people supposed to stay home for months on end?

Edd

How are people supposed to pay their bills? Not everyone has the luxary of being able to sit at home and get paid. Its pretty easy to say people should be doing this when it's not you that are facing the the prospects of not being able to pay your mortgage, feed your family, etc. Also in terms of not catching a disease, a hospital is probably the worst place to be right now if you dont have to. It's also highly likely that this is more than just a 2 week thing. Are people supposed to stay home for months on end?

Good questions. But this is a difficult (mildly put) situation. It’s not going to be forever, but it’ll take some cooperation.

machski

you are traveling outside of your home area and unavoidably interacting with other people in public. every lift line you stood in was a possible transmission. every financial transaction you engage in is an opportunity for transmission. every time your father gases the car is another opportunity for transmission. the entire world is shutting down and telling us to avoid unnecessary interactions and transactions and you and your father are driving around the entire northeast in search of open ski areas where you can mingle with people from other locations. its incredibly selfish. the only benefit involved is SB87 GOT TO GO SKIING TODAY. you are so dumb. its ridiculous.

think about this - someone's parent or grandparent might die in the next 6 months because you stood next to them on a liftline. you are selfish.

That last line of yours is BS Kusty, sorry. Someone he was standing next to might have their parent/grandparent die, well what was THAT person doing standing in line? Obviously, if you want to go down that road, get up higher on that soap box of yours and call out every single person who went skiing since what, last thursday or friday?? And BTW, the kid didn't drive himself.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Unemployment

KustyTheKlown

That last line of yours is BS Kusty, sorry. Someone he was standing next to might have their parent/grandparent die, well what was THAT person doing standing in line? Obviously, if you want to go down that road, get up higher on that soap box of yours and call out every single person who went skiing since what, last thursday or friday?? And BTW, the kid didn't drive himself.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Ya, none of them should be standing in line. That’s the point.

I skied Saturday thinking it would be empty. It wasn’t. I left immediately. I felt awful about going and recognize now how serious this is and how we all need to stop doing non essential things like resort skiing for now.

icecoast1

Unemployment

Unemployment is not enough for people to live on. Maybe the people that so passionately want to do that as they sit at home collecting a paycheck could start a go fund me for everybody they want to force on the unemployment line

snoseek

Unemployment is not enough for people to live on

Really. Mass maxes out at like 600 a week..if you cant survive a couple months on that that's a red flag on your lifestyle

Edit. 742 a week is the max. Yeah if you cant scrape by on that you fucked up

Edit 2. It's there for this very reason. I'm a chef in mass and about to jump in. Not happy but its life. Most would much rather go to work

icecoast1

Really. Mass maxes out at like 600 a week..if you cant survive a couple months on that that's a red flag on your lifestyle

You dont just walk in and get 742 dollars a week. It's a fraction of what your pay is.

snoseek

You dont just walk in and get 742 dollars a week. It's a fraction of what your pay is.

Sure but if you're maxing out you ain't poor and probably should have either saved a bit or lived a lesser simpler life. I'm under 50k a year and they'll likely cut me 4 or 500 a week. Enough to get by.

icecoast1

Good for you. Not everybody can do that. Pretty difficult for anyone to survive on a 26k a year salary

snoseek

Good for you. Not everybody can do that. Pretty difficult for anyone to survive on a 26k a year salary

I mean if it's used as intended it's just a safety net. Trust me I would much rather clean up on wedding season which is fucked at this point. Hopefully June can be salvaged. This all really sucks and already will affect next season for me

icecoast1

Are you arguing for business to open back up or just asking open ended questions?

Nope. Just saying not everyone has the luxury of sitting at home for weeks or months on end. And if you need to go out and be a responsible adult, you should be able to

snoseek

Nope. Just saying not everyone has the luxury of sitting at home for weeks or months on end. And if you need to go out and be a responsible adult, you should be able to

I can assure you its not a luxery.

None of us should be cooking food at this point imo. Certainly not a a club with lots of boomers.

Edd

This blows completely. The school and restaurant bans in effect are all 3 weeks-ish. The whole point is to not overload our medical system with patients and have many deaths. Shit man, it’s a pandemic, we’re all playing it by ear.

Smellytele

Edit 2. It's there for this very reason. I'm a chef in mass and about to jump in. Not happy but its life. Most would much rather go to work

NH maxes out at 427.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

icecoast1

This blows completely. The school and restaurant bans in effect are all 3 weeks-ish. The whole point is to not overload our medical system with patients and have many deaths. Shit man, it’s a pandemic, we’re all playing it by ear.

New CDC guidelines today say no gatherings of more than 10 people for the next 8 weeks. If you think this is just going to blow over in 3 weeks, I'd like some of what you're smoking

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Lots of people are living paycheck to paycheck ,now have their kid care to deal with . Unemployment is not going to cover their bills, at this time there is simply no solution . I suspect some type of amnesty will be the next push or some type of IRS stipend based on income?

Small business are really taking it on the chin but I believe a lot of them have lines of credit to get by in the short term . The low wage jobs are where the pain is going to be felt the most .

You can support your local restaurants, and other businesses by buying gift cards even if you don't redeem the cards consider it go fund me .