• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

Edd

New CDC guidelines today say no gatherings of more than 10 people for the next 8 weeks. If you think this is just going to blow over in 3 weeks, I'd like some of what you're smoking

I don’t think that and there’s no guarantee the CDC guidelines will be enforced or followed. I’m just explaining why places are shutting down and how unprecedented it is.

BenedictGomez

Be happy you do not have to travel for work then. I still do, 7 days at a time. I NEED takeout whether I really want to or not. Thanks

When you say it like that, our forefathers starving on prison ships in New York Harbor, or our grandparents being cut down by German MG-42s on the beaches of France does sound pretty trivial compared with having to go the next 5 weeks making your own PB&J sandwiches before work.

But seriously, this too shall pass.

BenedictGomez

1 + Yes and all the people who panicked and sold their stocks will be regretting it next year .

I've been dollar-cost-averaging money into blue chip dividend stocks every day for a week.

And getting my azz handed to me.

But I'm completely okay with it, because I think we'll be at least 50% recovered in one year, in which case, I'll do fine.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I mean if it's used as intended it's just a safety net. Trust me I would much rather clean up on wedding season which is fucked at this point. Hopefully June can be salvaged. This all really sucks and already will affect next season for me

We are in the same line of work. I do off-site wedding catering. Food service and big events, not a good combo right now. Not sure at all what the future has in store. Luckily our season doesn't really get going til early May but that's when the optimists are saying this will clear up...

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Also fucked, all our customers are travel industry.

But really everyone, beyond those few that are selling products you can't find on the shelves, are in deep.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Am heading home to SLC from Vermont. When we left SLC, last week, things were concerning, but not too crazy. Now it is very scary. The plan is to go home and pretty much stay there. At least I can work from home (they gave us a buttload of time off for this if needed) and we love our house. We even have hiking trails out our front door, but still it will be challenging.

A shit-ton of people are going to be out of work and really hurting. The Fed is out of bullets to keep markets going. I can't think of anything like this in my lifetime. 9/11 was bad, but it was pretty acute and scary for a few days but things slowly got back to normal. This--well, nobody has any idea what is going to happen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A shit-ton of people are going to be out of work and really hurting. The Fed is out of bullets to keep markets going. I can't think of anything like this in my lifetime. 9/11 was bad, but it was pretty acute and scary for a few days but things slowly got back to normal. This--well, nobody has any idea what is going to happen.

It's a race against time for two things; data and a vaccine.

The Epidemiologists don't have enough data on how fast this will spread. How quickly can we figure out if these unprecedented social controls put in place are enough to prevent our healthcare system from being overwhelmed and basically collapsing. Do we need more controls or can we relax them? How do you get the needed data without flooding the system with people who don't truly need the testing?

While that's going on you have the Actuaries calculating just how much money the feds are going to have to print as this drags on. Within weeks that need is going to make the 2008 Stimulus Package look like quarters. If this drags out to July or August like Trump said in his press conference today, it will look like pennies.

Once you get the data, the Epidemiologists and Actuaries meet in the middle and make the tough decision on what a socially (really politically) tolerable solution is that balances the number of people who will get sick and die vs returning to business as normal.

Of course this latter part is extremely difficult to communicate without major political fall out. We all want everyone to get back to work and be able to pay their bills, but no one wants to lose loved ones to allow that happen. The only thing that eases that is the promise of a vaccine with rapid distribution.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

raisingarizona

Maybe we’ll bounce back shortly after this but unfortunately I think this is our new reality. With a warming planet there’s going to a lot more of this regularly.

hub8

Succinctly analyzed and eloquently stated!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Maybe we’ll bounce back shortly after this but unfortunately I think this is our new reality. With a warming planet there’s going to a lot more of this regularly.

Yes, the 1 degree centigrade increase in temperature (even assuming they're correct) over the course of 100 years is really going to wreck havoc on boosting Ribonucleic acid viral material which randomly mutates into a deadly form in humans (sarcasm).

raisingarizona

Yes, the 1 degree centigrade increase in temperature (even assuming they're correct) over the course of 100 years is really going to wreck havoc on boosting Ribonucleic acid viral material which randomly mutates into a deadly form in humans (sarcasm).

I was thinking more on the lines of major economic disruptions but whatever....

I’m no scientist but I’m sensing that you are?

BenedictGomez

I was thinking more on the lines of major economic disruptions but whatever....I’m no scientist but I’m sensing that you are?

Ohhhhhhh, that makes a lot more sense. I dont believe it, but it makes more sense. I've just become accustomed to people blaming every problem on the planet (almost literally) on Global Warming, so it didnt even phase me that perhaps someone could blame human infection by novel viruses on climate change by spinning it somehow. Earth's hotter, so DNA/RNA replication & mutation increases! I can just see it now. Someone will 100% write that article in the coronavirus postmortem (and 20 year olds will believe it). Book it!

Smellytele

Cannon:
[FONT=&quot]EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (March 17th)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Under the directive of Governor Sununu, Cannon Mountain is to remain open until further notice, but with sharply curtailed services in order to reduce guest / guest and staff / guest interaction. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work hard to provide you with skiing services while trying to meet both the Governor’s directives and CDC guidelines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aerial Tramway[/FONT]

• Base and Summit buildings closed
  • Aerial Tram closed
[FONT=&quot]Peabody Lodge[/FONT]

• Rental & Repair shops closed
  • Cannonball Pub closed
  • Food Court offers take-out only
  • 50 seats on main level, loft closed
  • Outside seating open
  • Lower level closed (yellow room, red room)
  • Adaptive Program & space closed
[FONT=&quot]Notchview Lodge[/FONT]

• Tickets sold at outside windows only
  • Season pass transactions online only
  • Notchview Lodge closed
  • Retail shop closed
  • Patrol Room and guest locker room open via slopeside door
[FONT=&quot]Brookside Learning Center[/FONT]

• Nursery closed
  • Lessons & rentals closed for kids and adults

[FONT=&quot]we suggest bringing your own food, booting up at your vehicle and heading right for the lift.[/FONT]

gregnye

Cannon:
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (March 17th)
Under the directive of Governor Sununu, Cannon Mountain is to remain open until further notice, but with sharply curtailed services in order to reduce guest / guest and staff / guest interaction. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work hard to provide you with skiing services while trying to meet both the Governor’s directives and CDC guidelines.

we suggest bringing your own food, booting up at your vehicle and heading right for the lift.

Oh so all the other ski areas are pushed to close, but the state-owned ski area is allowed to remain open? Wow that's not a conflict of interest at all! /sarcasm.

I just feel bad for the workers. I remember most of the workers at cannon looking much older then other resorts. Definitely a bunch of >60 year old people working there--the most at-risk age range. I wish them luck.

Slidebrook87

Cannon:
[FONT="][U]EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (March 17th)[/U][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#221F23][FONT="]Under the directive of Governor Sununu, Cannon Mountain is to remain open until further notice, but with sharply curtailed services in order to reduce guest / guest and staff / guest interaction. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work hard to provide you with skiing services while trying to meet both the Governor’s directives and CDC guidelines.[/FONT]

[FONT="][U]Aerial Tramway[/U][/FONT][/COLOR]

[LIST]
[*]Base and Summit buildings closed
[*]Aerial Tram closed
[/LIST]
[COLOR=#221F23][FONT="]Peabody Lodge[/FONT]

• Rental & Repair shops closed
  • Cannonball Pub closed
  • Food Court offers take-out only
  • 50 seats on main level, loft closed
  • Outside seating open
  • Lower level closed (yellow room, red room)
  • Adaptive Program & space closed
[FONT="][U]Notchview Lodge[/U][/FONT][/COLOR]

[LIST]
[*]Tickets sold at outside windows only
[*]Season pass transactions online only
[*]Notchview Lodge closed
[*]Retail shop closed
[*]Patrol Room and guest locker room open via slopeside door
[/LIST]
[COLOR=#221F23][FONT="]Brookside Learning Center[/FONT]

• Nursery closed
  • Lessons & rentals closed for kids and adults

[FONT="]we suggest bringing your own food, booting up at your vehicle and heading right for the lift.[/FONT]

I like this plan and you have to remember relating to staffing, especially lift operators that COVID-19 is spread through surfaces. Since most skiers wear masks and the amount of people who cough without covering their mouths is generally low, they're not at very high risk. Since all the indoor facilities are closed, there is a very low risk in terms of people catching the virus. I am surprised at the lack of social distancing on chairlifts though. They should be loading 2 per chair on quads and triples and only 1 per chair on Mitersill.

On the other hand though, I think the longest they'll stay open is through this coming Sunday. They don't want to be the one resort left open while all the others are closed, regardless of the risk they pose to the community, staff and visitors.

cdskier

I like this plan and you have to remember relating to staffing, especially lift operators that COVID-19 is spread through surfaces. Since most skiers wear masks and the amount of people who cough without covering their mouths is generally low, they're not at very high risk. Since all the indoor facilities are closed, there is a very low risk in terms of people catching the virus.

Are the skiers wearing masks and gloves from the moment they leave their homes? Are they traveling long distances to get to the ski area? Stopping for gas along the way? Stopping for food somewhere?

Initially I was surprised at ski areas closing and disappointed. Now after thinking about the true impact I'm fully on board with ALL ski areas closing. And the continued attitudes and ignorance shown by some people shows exactly why ski areas NEED to close. Individual people simply cannot be trusted to make the right decisions anymore. Too many people aren't taking this seriously.