• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

KustyTheKlown

its ridiculous that he still doesnt understand the absurd unnecessary risk of people traveling distances and mingling with other people from different places, to resort ski. selfish. nh is being pretty shitty about this. live free and die.

skiur

The new england states should just follow Colorado and close every ski resort.

icecoast1

Are the skiers wearing masks and gloves from the moment they leave their homes? Are they traveling long distances to get to the ski area? Stopping for gas along the way? Stopping for food somewhere?

Initially I was surprised at ski areas closing and disappointed. Now after thinking about the true impact I'm fully on board with ALL ski areas closing. And the continued attitudes and ignorance shown by some people shows exactly why ski areas NEED to close. Individual people simply cannot be trusted to make the right decisions anymore. Too many people aren't taking this seriously.

Many of these people were also going into the limited grocery stores in the area and pillaging all of the supplies so the people that live there have no access to basic necessities

Slidebrook87

Here's the thing, I definitely see your point. When we turned around to go back home we stopped at a Shaw's and a gas station. On both of those occasions, we used hand sanitizer both before and after going into the store and I made sure not to touch anything but the groceries. My dad wore gloves to handle the gas pump as well as inside the grocery store. The unfortunate part is that not everyone is this careful which can help it spread, and by closing resorts can help slightly slow the spread. But if Cannon is open this weekend, we may drive up using the same, if not more precautionary measures. We probably won't have a need to stop at a grocery store this time so the only thing we will be coming in contact with on the trip is a gas pump, and my dad has gloves for that.

KustyTheKlown

and you're part of the problem. this thing spreads thru breathing air near infected people. you stand on liftlines. you are spreading this thing. actively. there are more important things in life right now than you going skiing. i cant believe how irresponsible your parents are. its shameful.

Domeskier

and you're part of the problem. this thing spreads thru breathing air near infected people. you stand on liftlines. you are spreading this thing. actively. there are more important things in life right now than you going skiing. i cant believe how irresponsible your parents are. its shameful.

Says the guy whose dad won't shut down his teeth cleaning business.

cdskier

Here's the thing, I definitely see your point. When we turned around to go back home we stopped at a Shaw's and a gas station. On both of those occasions, we used hand sanitizer both before and after going into the store and I made sure not to touch anything but the groceries. My dad wore gloves to handle the gas pump as well as inside the grocery store. The unfortunate part is that not everyone is this careful which can help it spread, and by closing resorts can help slightly slow the spread. But if Cannon is open this weekend, we may drive up using the same, if not more precautionary measures. We probably won't have a need to stop at a grocery store this time so the only thing we will be coming in contact with on the trip is a gas pump, and my dad has gloves for that.

W
T
F

https://staythefuckhome.com/

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like this plan and you have to remember relating to staffing, especially lift operators that COVID-19 is spread through surfaces. Since most skiers wear masks and the amount of people who cough without covering their mouths is generally low, they're not at very high risk. Since all the indoor facilities are closed, there is a very low risk in terms of people catching the virus. I am surprised at the lack of social distancing on chairlifts though. They should be loading 2 per chair on quads and triples and only 1 per chair on Mitersill.

On the other hand though, I think the longest they'll stay open is through this coming Sunday. They don't want to be the one resort left open while all the others are closed, regardless of the risk they pose to the community, staff and visitors.
Covid-19 is spread through both air and surfaces. The only masks infected people can wear to prevent them spreading the virus is N95 grade or higher properly worn on a clean shaven face with no gaps. I'm sorry but your turtle fur neck warmer is no where near sufficient in helping prevent the spread of the virus.

And there's literally nothing a ski area can provide their employees to protect themselves. Maybe if they had a six pack chair and allowed one rider to board on the complete opposite side of the chair as the lift attendant.

Please just stop. You are so incredibly off base and uniformed with your arguments.

I am tremendously disappointed with any ski area continuing to operate.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

Even worse on ski the east. Facebook page
"C'mon ski areas buck up. We know that there is no money to be made at ski areas going forward covid19 or not. You are saving money and saving face.

I keep trying to stop the lies there but impossible so I levining group
The rest of the season is for season's pass holders. You owe us a place to recreate while we deal. We need you now more than ever. Leave a couple lifts open. Leave the lodges open for the bathrooms only or get some Port-o-potties. There is no better place to self-quarantine like the great outdoors."
Just posted a minute ago
Their no way to stop it unfortunate

KustyTheKlown

Even worse on ski the east. Facebook page
"C'mon ski areas buck up. We know that there is no money to be made at ski areas going forward covid19 or not. You are saving money and saving face.

I keep trying to stop the lies there but impossible so I levining group
The rest of the season is for season's pass holders. You owe us a place to recreate while we deal. We need you now more than ever. Leave a couple lifts open. Leave the lodges open for the bathrooms only or get some Port-o-potties. There is no better place to self-quarantine like the great outdoors."
Just posted a minute ago
Their no way to stop it unfortunate

i had to leave ski the east fb a long time ago. the gape is high over there.

Pez

i actually just joined it a few weeks back. jesus it's frickin awful.

douche-bags galore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
But if Cannon is open this weekend, we may drive up using the same, if not more precautionary measures. We probably won't have a need to stop at a grocery store this time so the only thing we will be coming in contact with on the trip is a gas pump, and my dad has gloves for that.

You need to stop. I have seriously never considered the thought of possibly having to ban a forum member for spreading disinformation and ideas that could encourage others to act in ways that puts public health at risk.

This crisis is as serious as a heart attack and needs to be handled with extreme caution. This is NOT the media fear mongering. Full stop. If you were privy to some of the conversations I've been having with hospitals right now, you would be scared shitless.

Please, just settle in to your home. Focus all your attention on school and the things that are most important for a 14 year old. Where and how you can attempt to go skiing is definitely not one of those things.

KustyTheKlown

thank you dhs. i agree that banning is appropriate. im an asshole but its because he's endangering the public with zero acknowledgment or awareness of what he is doing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I will not ban him at the moment. That was a warning. I'm sensitive to the fact that he is young as well as the fact that people of all ages are still in denial of the severity of this crisis. Hopefully the latter changes in a hurry.

Not a drill folks. Get your hives prepared, don't panic, be respectful, check in on your neighbors and loved ones and use common sense.

Domeskier

yea it took him a few days more than the general public to get on board, but he's realizing the gravity of things now. im glad. i wish he did it a week ago.

Yeah, although a lot of the general public were probably forced on board earlier by decisions made for them by other people. Pretty hard to remain willfully blind to it at this point though.