• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

kingslug

Thought about this for a while. Home invasion..got that covered pretty much...Shit really hits the fan and I mean really..then not so much. Just not equipped for long term self survival..certainly not against those that are...and there are a lot of those who have been preparing for this most of their lives...fucking scary.

Cornhead

I'm hoping to wake up soon, this can't really be happening. Makes you realize how fragile modern society really is.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

yea, we'll all get through this tho, and hopefully we'll all come out on the other side with a renewed appreciation for life itself.

i dont know about y'all, but i'll probably get a little emo about it the next time i am able to ski fresh powder, dance in a crowd, and drink my 7th beer at a biscuits show during a raging second set basis jam.

BenedictGomez

TQ-tj-6399-740x493.jpg

Trader Joe's (3/12) should be shut down with lines like this. Why are they letting this happen?

Costco was a well-oiled machine yesterday. They closed the regular entrance & opened a side entrance, and blocked that too so only 1 member per time enters. At point of entry they have, "WE HAVE" and "WE DO NOT HAVE" signs for the most common items everyone's there for (eggs, milk, bread, TP (sigh), disinfectant, etc..) so they can turn people away immediately without even having them needlessly enter. They wipe all the cart handles down (and having been doing this for several weeks, WAY before people even considered this), food service court is closed, and there are "social distance" signs on eisels all over the store telling people to stay 6 feet away from each other.

Walmart, however, was doing absolutely nothing. They didnt even wipe cart handles, unless possibly somebody did that already before racking them (I doubt it).

kingslug

I've always wanted to take a real survival course..like they have in Utah. This is a wake up call. If it can happen now it can happen again. And I'm still not convinced it was caused by a fucking bat. But that doesn't matter..it happened.

Puck it

I've always wanted to take a real survival course..like they have in Utah. This is a wake up call. If it can happen now it can happen again. And I'm still not convinced it was caused by a fucking bat. But that doesn't matter..it happened.
It will be interesting what they find out about the virus sctructure. They will be able to tell if manmade not that we will ever know though.

icecoast1

Costco was a well-oiled machine yesterday. They closed the regular entrance & opened a side entrance, and blocked that too so only 1 member per time enters. At point of entry they have, "WE HAVE" and "WE DO NOT HAVE" signs for the most common items everyone's there for (eggs, milk, bread, TP (sigh), disinfectant, etc..) so they can turn people away immediately without even having them needlessly enter. They wipe all the cart handles down (and having been doing this for several weeks, WAY before people even considered this), food service court is closed, and there are "social distance" signs on eisels all over the store telling people to stay 6 feet away from each other.

Walmart, however, was doing absolutely nothing. They didnt even wipe cart handles, unless possibly somebody did that already before racking them (I doubt it).

I havent been to Costco in a few weeks since things got crazy but they were wiping carts here for weeks too. I only wish they had self checkouts so the cashier that's handling everybody's money and other potential points of infection arent going allover my things

MikeD

the store I work in (jersey shore area) opens the door at 7 am, 100's of people run in every morning..wiping the cart is on them, store doesnt do it...products limited to 1 per category(water, chicken, ground beef, TP which we dont have) some are limit 2..we are doing nearly double or sales volume for this time of year, every day for 9 days running and this is with next to nothing on shelves as we are having trouble getting trucks to store, drivers need to get off road after 12 hrs behind wheel...it is a real big store, but people are on top of each other for 12 hours a day in this place...any decisions on limiting crowds is left to owners discretion and my guys have none!

machski

Had the same thought.

On the other hand, I had the opposite thought... a bit surprising these kind of viruses don't jump species more often.
That's beacuse it is not super easy, the virus has to mutate and be given the right conditions and environments to do so. But with population sprawl and some countries still having open air bush meat markets and the like, the environments are available. Just need the right conditions and well....

On a more positive note, I talked with a friend who is a bit of a history buff last night, and he reminded me that the Spanish Flu of 1918 (the last big Pandemic event) hit but on the back side we had the roaring 20's. I won't down this upbeat part with looking beyond the roaring part.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
My wife ordered food online from our local supermarket the truck showed up at 8:30 Pm even managed to get some TP . As I was loading the stuff in my cabinets I had a though "How many people touched my stuff when they were picking the order? I guess you can drive yourself crazy dwelling on it . In 2006 I had a bout with Viral Meningitis and ever since have been a weary of the little microscopic bastards so I'm slightly paranoid .

I think there will be a more permanent shift in behavior after all this is over . People that are able to shift to 95% working from home is a win win .Less vehicles on the road ...less pollution . I've seen some satellite pictures of Italy skies are clearing up ,fish are visible in the canals of Venice. ..and maybe ......More Snow?

icecoast1

We were slowly changing as a society as it was. This will definitely accelerate it.

BenedictGomez

SO they are making you think that. Iceland has found 40 mutations and can trace where they originated.

Yeah, no, that's bullshit whatever conspiracy theory blog you got that from.

This is a completely novel genetic sequence; it was not known to mankind before recently. Everything you learned about DNA (RNA in this case actually, even though it constantly gets misreported as DNA by the news) from Jurassic Park is false. It's not that simple to create an entirely new lifeform.

BenedictGomez

Oh boy, it's conspiracy theory time!!!

If you're into conspiracy theories, I cant get over the fact that the only Level 4 BioSafety Laboratory in all of China just happens to be in Wuhan, right by the outbreak epicenter. Fun fact? China is a really big country.

I personally think the statistical probability is more likely that the Chinese found this new RNA virus somewhere in China, and were researching it in their lab in Wuhan when it got out, as opposed to an extremely rare genetic viral zoonotic mutation jumped from animal to humans in a market right by their Level 4 BioSafety Lab.

I actually think this is so pragmatically obvious that I'm shocked nobody is talking about it.

Last edited: