• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If the risk was to you alone, you could accept it.

We're really just playing a game of numbers. I would feel absolutely terrible if I had the virus and unknowingly gave it to others. And of course there's no way to know if you have it or not.

Statically speaking though, there's a 99% chance I don't have it. That's enough assurance for me.

drjeff

yea it took him a few days more than the general public to get on board, but he's realizing the gravity of things now. im glad. i wish he did it a week ago.
Add in that the official statement from the American Dental Association with the recomendation (not a mandatory requirement as that can only happen by a state department of health or similar state/federal order) for no "elective procedures" for the next 3 weeks didn't come out until about 6PM yesterday evening, can't fault him that much for his timing..

My business partner and I shut down short of emergency patients by call, at the end of the work day yesterday. Still trying to figure out the best way to take care of our 12 employees. So much uncertainty from the small business side of this, especially for those of us in fields where work from home isn't an option...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

Add in that the official statement from the American Dental Association with the recomendation (not a mandatory requirement as that can only happen by a state department of health or similar state/federal order) for no "elective procedures" for the next 3 weeks didn't come out until about 6PM yesterday evening, can't fault him that much for his timing..

My business partner and I shut down short of emergency patients by call, at the end of the work day yesterday. Still trying to figure out the best way to take care of our 12 employees. So much uncertainty from the small business side of this, especially for those of us in fields where work from home isn't an option...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Yup, I hear ya. Emergencies only for us

KustyTheKlown

^yea, when i spoke to him on sunday he said he was waiting for the CDC and ADA and whatever NYS authority regulates dentists. fortunately for us he has a small practice with only a front desk receptionist and one dental assistant. less people to worry about. good luck dr. j

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Statically speaking though, there's a 99% chance I don't have it. That's enough assurance for me.

If your number is correct, 1% of 350 million or maybe 6 billion, is a real number. One guy spread it to 50 people.

China has (so far) kept deaths below 10,000 by basically arresting everyone.

It's about chipping in, setting an example, supporting each other.

Why are you defending your POV? Why do you care what we think?

This is like politics, you're not going to change your mind, I'm not going change mine.

Edd

I’m encountering folks on Twitter who just don’t get it. Having restaurants close and grocery stores open is a concept they cannot wrap their head around.

I’ve read Fox News has changed their tune in lock step with POTUS but there are likely news outlets still downplaying the risks.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

icecoast1

If your number is correct, 1% of 350 million or maybe 6 billion, is a real number. One guy spread it to 50 people.

China has (so far) kept deaths below 10,000 by basically arresting everyone.

It's about chipping in, setting an example, supporting each other.

Why are you defending your POV? Why do you care what we think?

This is like politics, you're not going to change your mind, I'm not going change mine.

So should we weld peoples doors shut like China too? Or grossly lie and deceive the globe about a serious virus? We shouldn't be using China as an example of how to deal with this

KustyTheKlown

and not go skiing, across state lines, because you are "99% sure" you dont have it. when 100 people like you go, everyone contracts it. stay home. you arent special. resort skiing is entirely unimportant. its unbelievable how selfish so many people are being about this.

BenedictGomez

I believe two things are true:

1) This is a very serious virus, and it needs to be taken seriously.

2) The media are driving panic & hysteria, and this isnt going to kill anywhere near the insane 1M to 2M Americans that you're hearing about.

In other words, there are more than 2 camps, you can take this thing serious & behave responsibly, while simultaneously thinking the death numbers etc... are crazy. That's my camp.

EPB

I’ve read Fox News has changed their tune in lock step with POTUS

It's really a shame the DNC doesn't have control over Fox News like all the other major networks.

Lock step is a stretch - no doubt an attempt by whoever wrote what you read to try to get you fired up. They're certainly his cheerleaders, though, so it's mostly positive.

The only interesting angles I've heard criticizing Trump from the right is that the UK apparently chose to only quarantine old people. Young people are left to get COVID-19 as they may and build up immunity. The thought is immunity is better in the long run and the virus isn't differentiated from the flu in its effect on younger people. I'm interested to see how it goes.

VTKilarney

I believe two things are true:

1) This is a very serious virus, and it needs to be taken seriously.

2) The media are driving panic & hysteria, and this isnt going to kill anywhere near the insane 1M to 2M Americans that you're hearing about.
My problem is that I really don't know who to trust.

My brother lives in Singapore. Singapore has been dealing with the Coronavirus for weeks. They currently have 152 active cases and no deaths. On a per capita basis, their number of active cases is just barely ahead of Vermont (12 cases). Which means that Singapore is doing a phenomenal job of containing this.

And yet their schools have been open for this entire time.

That said, Singapore is excellent at quarantining people who are infected. There is no self-isolation in Singapore if you are infected. You go where the government tells you to go until you are disease free. As a society, we don't seem to be willing to do that.

So the real question is... are we doing a lot of things (like closing schools) because we aren't actually doing the right things?

Last edited:

Smellytele

Well I had a friend tell me they went into Bass Pro shop the other day to get something they had ordered and the ammo was stripped clean. He heard people(more than 1) in line talking that they never owned a gun before but are buying one now...

Smellytele

Just another thing i heard Amazon is limiting shipments to fulfillment centers to only "essential items" until 4/5. What is an essential item? I am not 100% sure

icecoast1

Well I had a friend tell me they went into Bass Pro shop the other day to get something they had ordered and the ammo was stripped clean. He heard people(more than 1) in line talking that they never owned a gun before but are buying one now...

What state are you in? Im not surprised more people want to buy guns right now. Although depending on the state, it could be pretty difficult and by the time you actually were permitted to legally own/carry one, the worst of this will be over