• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

BenedictGomez

It will give me pause when considering supporting their businesses in the future, but that's a slippery slope as it's the line level employees who get hurt the most when people boycott businesses.

Which, despite the proclivities of some in this thread who will always blame business for....well....anything, is likely the real reason some operators are desperately trying to stay open, especially given we're now in the worst period of the season for making $$$, if not actually a revenue negative segment of the ski season. They're likely thinking about the local economy, employees, etc.. Some of their statements say so. Now I 100% get both sides of those arguments, but "evil company bad" is tremendously short-sighted here IMO.

jimk

Don't ban slidebrook. Continue respectful dialog. I'm only about a half a day ahead of him in dealing with the denial aspect of this. In fact just scouted route to Brian Head, still open, 3.5 hrs and near a bunch of great National Parks.

I liken this to 9-11. I was very close to that situation at Pentagon. Ready to prosecute the perps with extreme prejudice, kill or be killed mindset, while many around USA were much less alarmed and didn't want overseas intervention, etc. Similar thing with this virus. REaction of people around the country will naturally vary. You guys in big cities or strongly influenced by constant media reports are much more spun up on this and glad to hunker down at home. I'm still thinking the great outdoors is the healthiest place to be.

Keep the respectful dialog going.

2Planker

Ridiculous....
Just saying, that being an independent resort, they can call their own shots.

IMHO They should all be closed.

snoseek

I swear the only reason nh dining rooms are closed are probably pressure from mass. The live free or die thing is cool and unique but those days are gone and this is just recklessness. I'll still ski cannon on a discounted day ticket..and for daily operations they do a fantastic job these days but I'm probably out as a pass holder at this point.

cdskier

You guys in big cities or strongly influenced by constant media reports are much more spun up on this and glad to hunker down at home. I'm still thinking the great outdoors is the healthiest place to be.

I wouldn't say any of us are "glad" to hunker down at home. I'd much rather be out skiing. It just is not a wise decision when you fully understand all the "touch points" along the way. No matter how much you think you're not transmitting anything, if you're at a resort or traveling any substantial distance to a resort, then you definitely have the potential to be helping spread the virus to people and areas that may otherwise have been able to stay isolated from it.

Edd

I was in North Conway last week when I probably shouldn’t have been. I was pumping gas and noticed hand sanitizer near the pump. I’m guessing it’s always been there and I’ve never noticed. Now I’m constantly scanning. I’ve got hand sanitizer-vision.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

icecoast1

I was in North Conway last week when I probably shouldn’t have been. I was pumping gas and noticed hand sanitizer near the pump. I’m guessing it’s always been there and I’ve never noticed. Now I’m constantly scanning. I’ve got hand sanitizer-vision.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I've never seen hand sanitizer at the pumps of any gas station until now

Hawk

I work for probably the largest Architectural/Engineering/Construction company in the Country. The company line is work from home if you can, limit working at the office as much as possible. Even with that there are probably 30 people in here on the construction side. Most of us are closing down operations on several large out of ground high rises. The mayor shut down all projects but you just don't walk away from a $300M high rise and just shut the gate and lock it. The rest of us are working to secure more work for after this mess ends. Bids and proposals that were due this week. The funny thing is they did not actually close the office. I drive and walk to work using zero public trans, wear gloves and stay away from people. It feels really odd like something out of the Zombie apocalypse. Very few people in Boston and kind of eery. Even in work I stay away from everybody. I am lucky because I can grab an office and hide. I can't wait to just get out of here and stay home. But I feel bad for all the union workers that are getting laid off this week. Hundreds of them. Some of them have been working on the high rises for over a year. They become important team members. What's their life looking like right now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow, you all weren't kidding about Governor Sununu and how out-of-step he is:

From Cannon:

Under the directive of Governor Sununu, Cannon Mountain is to remain open until further notice, but with sharply curtailed services in order to reduce guest / guest and staff / guest interaction. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work hard to provide you with skiing services while trying to meet both the Governor’s directives and CDC guidelines.

https://www.cannonmt.com/mountain-report

BenedictGomez

I feel bad for all the union workers that are getting laid off this week. Hundreds of them. Some of them have been working on the high rises for over a year. They become important team members. What's their life looking like right now.

POTUS just announced at presser that they're going to be mailing out checks to everyone this week. Purpose is due to the fact that there are millions of Americans who are temporarily out-of-a-job (though not unemployed), and they want to get money into people's hands immediately so they can buy food, pay immediate bills, etc...

BenedictGomez

How on earth does Cannon think its' operating within the CDC & government's guidelines?

Just yesterday the CDC lowered it's guidelines to "no more than 50 people gathered" and Trump said he'd like people to consider going even lower @ no more than 10.

EPB

no one cares what you do with the bar.

If you didn't think so highly of yourself, you'd find your conduct in the last day or so pathetic and embarrassing. Hubris is a hell of a drug, and it has turned you into a raving lunatic.

I don't know how you justify to yourself going after a child like this, but it takes an impressive lack of self-awareness to carry on this way.

icecoast1

Been like that for the 20 years I have been driving.

Never been to NJ so I had no idea. I can't even remember the last time I went to a full service gas station, they're pretty rare where I usually travel

skiur

Never been to NJ so I had no idea. I can't even remember the last time I went to a full service gas station, they're pretty rare where I usually travel

Not uncommon on Long Island either.

Zand

Waterville is definitely not losing money today. Flame away on me for going, whatever...

I didn't expect to see many people there. Ended up parking in the 4th lot which is insane. First couple hours were nice and orderly...rode the lift alone each time and people left space in line. Around noon throngs of teen park rats started showing up. Theyre pushing in line if there's people trying to wait single. Even was way to the side of a trail on a run out and one comes within 3 feet of me and says "HOW DO YOU LIKE THE SNOW BRO?" It was a holiday weekend type crowd...tons of families and even people skiing for the first time. I expected it to just be core skiers just getting one more day in like I was trying to do, but damn.

After seeing the actions of people who cant understand giving space so we can enjoy the outdoors without being in contact with others, I agree that it's time to shut it down. I thought giving people the chance to be outside was a good idea, but it's 2020 and no one can handle that.

For the record, gassed up at home and will not be outside my car anywhere in NH other than at the ski area so as to not come in contact with other communities. Today was it for me till this goes away.