• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

flakeydog

Let me try...

Special Report:

"Everything is closed"

PS- if you find a place that is open, don't drag your sorry Covid-19 infected ass up here, go back to your own house.

EOM

gregnye

During the day on Friday, the Vermont ski industry was asking how many people they could load on a Gondola. Not us!

By the end of the day on Saturday, Vail and Alterra announced they were closing all their resorts including their Vermont holdings.

By the end of the day on Sunday, all Vermont resorts except Smuggs, announced they were closing, and I sent you a letter describing our action to remain open.

Last night, the Governor announced he is closing all Vermont schools, and the CDC has reduced gatherings to 50 from 250.

A significant majority of people who communicated with me supported our decision to stay open. However, it is with sadness that I have reached the conclusion Smuggs must acknowledge the best advice of Health authorities concerning schools and apply the advice to mountain operations effective this Tuesday evening.

I am very grateful for the support of Smuggs skiers and riders, and I am sure better days are coming!

Yours sincerely,
Bill Stritzler
Managing Director and Owner

Now that I look at this again, it is unclear whether this is a closing announcement, or that they are reducing the mountain to only 50 people

Edd

Now that I look at this again, it is unclear whether this is a closing announcement, or that they are reducing the mountain to only 50 people

Thanks. Got curious and called. The woman I spoke said they’re wrapping up mountain ops after Tuesday. She did not acknowledge this was due to Coronavirus.

BenedictGomez

good. their position was indefensible.

Says the guy who wants to be able to eat from restaurants in the largest city in America.

Your position is intellectually indefensible from a viral particulate transference standpoint, which is precisely what we're dealing with.

One infected kitchen worker at Chez Cluck Cluck chicken restaurant on the Upper West Side, would be MASSIVELY worse than outdoor skiing at Smuggs. Either go thermonuclear and shut EVERYTHING down, or shut down businesses based upon viral contagion likelihood. And Smuggs' outdoor skiing is very low-risk compared to handing a McDonalds worker a $20 bill & getting $10+ in change, then grabbing the paper bag, then pawing over the food wrappers, then eating your meal.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

i never said that i want to eat restaurant food. my house is ready to cook for ourselves indefinitely and that is what we are doing. my point remains that lots of people are unable to cook for themselves and that the availability of cooked food in a metropolis is important. it's a difficult issue but the availability of food is important and hopefully restaurants and delivery services are taking the proper precautions. im glad i can cook for myself and i will. lots of people cant.

cdskier

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that letter from Smuggs bizarre in tone and attitude?

icecoast1

How difficult is it to throw a can of soup in a microwave? Unless you're elderly/disabled, i dont understand how you can't cook for yourself

KustyTheKlown

we have tens (hundreds?) of thousands of elderly and disabled people here. that's my point entirely - i am not talking about my lazy sister who doesnt know how to make pasta. there are populations that actually need delivery food. they need the subway, to get to the grocer or the pharmacist or the doctor. we live in an extremely dense city where the risk of transmission is high and we should all do what we can to minimize it while servicing those people who can't help themselves.

smuggs being open, especially when every other competitor is closed, is inviting crowded lift lines, and out of state visitors.

the risk is exponentially larger in the nyc restaurant issue, but the nyc restaurants are serving a necessity. smuggs is serving an indulgence.

icecoast1

we have tens (hundreds?) of thousands of elderly and disabled people here. that's my point entirely. they need delivery food. they need the subway, to get to the grocer or the pharmacist or the doctor. we live in an extremely dense city where the risk of transmission is high and we should all do what we can to minimize it while servicing those people who can't help themselves.

smuggs being open, especially when every other competitor is closed, is inviting crowded lift lines, and out of state visitors.

the risk is exponentially larger in the nyc restaurant issue, but the nyc restaurants are serving a necessity. smuggs is serving an indulgence.

I dont know many elderly people that can afford takeout. Most are living on social security/medicare/medicaid