• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is OPEN Still

KustyTheKlown

you also dont live in new york. we have plenty of well off older people, and many of them may be unable to prepare their own food.

its not an easy issue. people need access to food. eliminating the congregation element of restaurants while ensuring access to food in the form of groceries and cooked food is the best we can do in my opinion.

im also not talking about getting takeout from le bernadin. im talking about the corner diners that deliver to elderly regulars constantly. you dont need to be wealthy to get delivery food in nyc, its a heavily ingrained part of the culture and not an indulgence.

BenedictGomez

How difficult is it to throw a can of soup in a microwave? Unless you're elderly/disabled, i dont understand how you can't cook for yourself

It's a ridiculous argument. Soup, mac n cheese, TV dinners, even if you have zero cooking ability you can eat.

Edd

Sununu just announced all restaurants and bars in NH to close. Takeout only.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

It's a ridiculous argument. Soup, mac n cheese, TV dinners, even if you have zero cooking ability you can eat.

maybe it is a ridiculous argument, but at least its an argument, about the best way to provide necessities.

smuggs is providing lift served skiing. its not a necessity at all. so there shouldn't even be an argument at all.

Krikaya

I thought this thread was about who is open still? What I'm thinking of doing is Waterville tomorrow Tuesday $17 (I called it's still on) and wednesday Waterville again $30 ride and ski card Thursday at Cannon $42. I've already paid for a motel which is non refundable. Gas is cheap. Might be a plan to end the season on a high note. I honestly think skiing is an extremely low risk activity as long as common sense precautions are taken.

I'll be wearing my full head to toe hazmat suit that served me well fighting the Marburg virus in the Congo in '99. If anyone comes within 6 feet of me I'll blast them in the legs with my sawed off. I won't shoot to kill, Just wound them, I'm not a psycho!

Of course Gov Sununu is making an announcement today @4:30 which may change my plans. Isn't NH's motto ski free or die?

Edd

smuggs is providing lift served skiing. its not a necessity at all. so there shouldn't even be an argument at all.

Smuggs and the others also have lodges and bars open, mixing folks from different regions, possibly accelerating the virus spread.

icecoast1

I honestly think skiing is an extremely low risk activity as long as common sense precautions are taken.

I agree, the issue though is if the masses flock to the mountain and then don't practice common sense. Was at Mount Snow last Saturday, what ended up being their last day. Thousands of people around in close proximity and nobody exercising common sense or common courtesy.

KustyTheKlown

its stupid and selfish to go skiing right now unless you live near skiing and are backcountry skiing

traveling to resort ski is selfish and stupid and not necessary

my recreation is now outdoors, local, and alone. bike time.

BenedictGomez

Smuggs and the others also have lodges and bars open, mixing folks from different regions, possibly accelerating the virus spread.

This part I disagree with Smuggs; anyone still open should close their restaurants & bars. The actual skiing ops, however, there is so little chance for contagion it doesn't bother me so long as the gondis are shut.

It's a trade-off between doing what you can to protect the public & ward off infection, and not living in a national prison. But if we're going to say that Smuggs should close outdoor ski ops, while simultaneously not shutting down your ability to get a $5 mocha soy femme latte from Starbucks, then those people are either not thinking about this issue intellectually, or they simply seek to virtue signal.

Moot point now that everyone's closed.

Slidebrook87

its stupid and selfish to go skiing right now unless you live near skiing and are backcountry skiing

traveling to resort ski is selfish and stupid and not necessary

my recreation is now outdoors, local, and alone. bike time.

Please explain to me how it is “selfish” to go skiing?? When I was at Windham I completely avoided the lodge and close contact with people. Doesn’t seem correct to be calling me selfish for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

you are traveling outside of your home area and unavoidably interacting with other people in public. every lift line you stood in was a possible transmission. every financial transaction you engage in is an opportunity for transmission. every time your father gases the car is another opportunity for transmission. the entire world is shutting down and telling us to avoid unnecessary interactions and transactions and you and your father are driving around the entire northeast in search of open ski areas where you can mingle with people from other locations. its incredibly selfish. the only benefit involved is SB87 GOT TO GO SKIING TODAY. you are so dumb. its ridiculous.

think about this - someone's parent or grandparent might die in the next 6 months because you stood next to them on a liftline. you are selfish.

ScottySkis

you are traveling outside of your home area and unavoidably interacting with other people in public. every lift line you stood in was a possible transmission. every financial transaction you engage in is an opportunity for transmission. every time your father gases the car is another opportunity for transmission. the entire world is shutting down and telling us to avoid unnecessary interactions and transactions and you and your father are driving around the entire northeast in search of open ski areas where you can mingle with people from other locations. its incredibly selfish. the only benefit involved is SB87 GOT TO GO SKIING TODAY. you are so dumb. its ridiculous.

think about this - someone's parent or grandparent might die in the next 6 months because you stood next to them on a liftline. you are selfish.

Perfect answer

icecoast1

This part I disagree with Smuggs; anyone still open should close their restaurants & bars. The actual skiing ops, however, there is so little chance for contagion it doesn't bother me so long as the gondis are shut.

It's a trade-off between doing what you can to protect the public & ward off infection, and not living in a national prison. But if we're going to say that Smuggs should close outdoor ski ops, while simultaneously not shutting down your ability to get a $5 mocha soy femme latte from Starbucks, then those people are either not thinking about this issue intellectually, or they simply seek to virtue signal.

Moot point now that everyone's closed.

It's easy for people to tell everybody else how they should live their lives until it comes time for them to give up some of their own luxarys. I still think going skiing is far less dangerous than ordering takeout food or fighting the crazies at costco buying a decades worth of toilet paper... but like you said, it's a moot point

KustyTheKlown

necessity vs non necessity. non necessities go. necessities we can debate the best way to provide them. lift served skiing by out of state visitors is among the most non essential things i can think of right now, and i fucking LOVE lift served skiing by out of state visitors.

our grandparents were asked to stop using plastics rubbers and metals, send the women to work en masse for the first time, and send the men to fight and die in europe.

we are being asked to stay at home on the couch and limit unnecessary contact, and people are bitching about not being able to go snow skiing. 2020.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can’t believe your father is as fucking stupid as you are and even began the drive. Did you pout and cry and stamp your feet until they gave in and agreed to take the young prince to maine?

You have no perspective on the world and you are a terrible person. I wish you the worst.

OK. Knock it off. Seriously. Every post you have made the last day or so has been attacking another member.

Last edited:

jaytrem

Most of Alaska is still open with the exception of Moose. But they use buses rather than chair lifts. I was thinking about going there instead of Cali due to lack of snow. Now it will be neither and I'll shoot for Alaska next year. Works out well enough since Moose would have been closed before I could have gotten there this year, and the new ski area (Skeetawk) should be open. Still have my Cali plane tix, never know, maybe they'll have a cure before April. Hmmm, new skis just showed up as I was typing, probably no rush to mount them.