• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rate the season( trying to ignore virus)

ScottySkis

I say it was 6 out 10.
I had 2 lovely snowing days at bell half foot that made the winter for bell 14 days at bell. I had 3 days at Gore which is one of my favorite hills in North East. Wish it was closer to mid Hudson Valley.
Then my last 2 day's of this season brought my ranking from before 5 to after 6
Mccolley which was awesome with lake effect about a foot of new snow and that Sunday Elk with beautiful spring conditions and very comfortable temperatures. Got to my friends Cornhead and Rambo thanks Jim also 19 days totally nice way to start biking and hiking.

KustyTheKlown

early pow day at magic. good pow day at jay peak over mlk. deep pow at whiteface last day of feb.

some decently average days in the woods at k and sugarbush

winter park trip was a bit of a bust for snow. utah trip was weird but ended with a 12" powder day

i didnt ski mad river or stowe for the first time in years. missing mad river feels sad.

Last edited:

icecoast1

3 out of 10. November was good, the rest of the season had a few good days sprinkled in with a lot of crap. Made you think the season was going to be really good. Seemed like every time we'd get snow it was always followed by rain/ice/crud and the conditions didnt last. Temperatures were also above average for most of the country

BenedictGomez

N. VT = 7.5

S.NE = 5.5? (I dont really know, just judging by people's reactions & s.VT frustrations on this guess)

Cats = 4

Poconos = - infinity

KustyTheKlown

3 out of 10. November was good, the rest of the season had a few good days sprinkled in with a lot of crap. Made you think the season was going to be really good. Seemed like every time we'd get snow it was always followed by rain/ice/crud and the conditions didnt last. Temperatures were also above average for most of the country

there was a season maybe like 5 years ago that was much worse than this one. i'd call that a 3. leaving the 0-2 for the truly no snow ever times i guess.

i dunno, maybe my 6 was generous. you know what, it was. im going back to edit. a shitty rainy season shortened by global pandemic where my western trips didnt even go off hard. fuck that.

icecoast1

Southern Vermont was pretty bad. Lots of rain and ice and missing out on a lot of snow events that people got further north

EDIT

@ Krusty, this season IMO was pretty close to that bad one from a few years ago. Things were close to over as it was before the pandemic

Los

Yep. Agreed.

Zand

I'm having a hard time going any higher than a 5. In the east there were only two truly good weeks this year...first week of December and last week of February. Lots of warmth/refreeze and rain otherwise. Hit Jackson Hole at a good time which really boosted the season, otherwise I really would've only had maybe 4 or 5 real good days.

Slidebrook87

5 - February at Sugarbush was great and MLK Monday at Killington was great but the rest, meh. Every snow event seemed to be followed by a warmup or rain until February. I would rank it a 7 if it didn’t end like this... Still hoping for some late spring skiing but it’s not looking too great at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

I'd say a 4 or 5 excluding COVID-19. Including COVID-19 and having no chance for any spring skiing drops it to a 3 or so.

I really want to say there were only 2 really good weekends this year. There were some others that were decent. And the rest were just "ok". Below average snowfall combined with multiple warmup/rain/refreeze events just prevent me from rating this any higher.

ERJ-145CA

Here in NJ I'd give it a 3. Almost no natural snow here. It would be warm, rain then a couple of days of snowmaking weather a week.

Mountain Creek, my local area did a great job making snow and got most of the trails open but in February had to concentrate on resurfacing, instead of base building. after all the rain and warmth. Today would have been their closing day anyway due to the lack of a base, even if there wasn't the virus. Last season they were open until the second weekend in April.

I think the only thing that keeps me from giving it a 2 is that I got to start skiing in NJ on November 16th, their earliest opening date ever. If I ski in November I usually have to drive to the Catskills.

Sent from my SM-G970U using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Insufficient data....

It was ok for a few weeks in February. November had some decent early season skiing. Too much rain. Never got west. I miss the west. I'm here for a girl so that part is good but if it didn't work out somehow I would flee so fast! I'll give it a 3.

Next winter I'll have a different approach

machski

Personally I'd give it a 7, though my Colorado trip of 9 days I'd rate a 10, so the other 31 takes a bit of a hit. Got a few great days in at Sunday River, the very last few days of February were great. Can't believe I won't ski in March. Odd year after skiing through July last season. I guess there is some hope for super late season again this year, Tahoe did just get 2 feet that will go mostly unskied now. Hope they keep getting it, I'd be up for a June trip west if this thing tamps down for then.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

Skiing more days than not in Southern NH, and the virus impact being real, it's a 2 at the most. Late start, not much powder, half my usual days, way early potential end. I usually get 20 plus days from now til the end, usually many of the best. This season sucked.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Rocks&Ice Skier

3 max. Partly my fault, didn't get out west this year. Skied Catamount, Belleyare, Windham, and Mountain Creek. Stratton and Killington were my big outs of the year. No natural snow, at any area. When it was below freezing for two days, each area did a decent job with man made. I give great kudos to the snowmakers, groomers, etc for making a surface for us. Weather sucked...no snow at all in February ? At all ?

Smellytele

5.5. Had a few good days at Cannon. Had a 30” day at Stowe. Had a couple good days at MRG and Sugarbush at the end of Feb.
If covid didn’t close all the ski areas I would have been in Utah in 4 days and rating would have gone up

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had highly altered expectations for my season. Only 2 of the 20ish days I got were "real" skiing. The rest were entirely spent working with my 4 year old. I got him compatently skiing greens by the end of the year and his love for the sport grew with each passing weekend. Still wish I got a few more days in with him and some sunny spring days with friends at Wildcat in April, but overall I got about 80% out of what I was hoping for this season. So, I'll give it an 8. If it were pre-kid days, it would probably be a 3.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
I'll give it a 5. It was more weird than bad.

Everytime it snowed it rained a day or two later if not a changeover at the end of the storm. Strangely warm and no lasting arctic intrusions in the east. Can't remember a really cold day all winter.

Last edited:

The Sneak

Worst season for me in the 30 years I have been skiing. Conditions were marginal at best every time I was out, even at Deer Valley. Even my one powder day was over brutal boilerplate.

And then layer COVID-19 on top of it. Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowsdower

Poor. I'd rate it a 3/10. Maybe a 4. JF does a good job at snowmaking which saved a few nice days in PA. I managed to get a good trip in to N VT, but overall the season was very poor south of VT. Too warm, not enough sustained cold air and storm tracks more conducive to rain than snow a good season does not make.