Good news for Indy pass holder - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    Hit Shawnee last year twice using the Indy Pass. I think Shawnee is like $70 normally for a weekend ticket. Pass almost paid for itself with that. First time I showed up there I looked around and said wtf am I doing here. Wound up having a blast. Good friends to ski with and chilling at EZ Bumpps with some beers. The place was way better than I thought it would be.
    That's where I learned how to ski & it's ski my favorite Pocono mountain. Is it as challenging as Camelback or Blue Mountain? No. But there's fun stuff to do & the clientele is best in the area. Mostly families & lots of cute kiddies in the beginner areas. Best of all, you dont have to deal with all the BENNYs & the hoards of teens who think they're better than Bode Miller who you encounter at Blue Mountain & Camelback. Shawnee's staff is great too, and who doesnt love being greeted with chocolate chip cookies upon arrival? I should go there more.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That's where I learned how to ski & it's ski my favorite Pocono mountain. Is it as challenging as Camelback or Blue Mountain? No. But there's fun stuff to do & the clientele is best in the area. Mostly families & lots of cute kiddies in the beginner areas. Best of all, you dont have to deal with all the BENNYs & the hoards of teens who think they're better than Bode Miller who you encounter at Blue Mountain & Camelback. Shawnee's staff is great too, and who doesnt love being greeted with chocolate chip cookies upon arrival? I should go there more.
    Its a special place for me now too. Its the first place I went to after selling my home in Killington last year. My wife was literally in tears when we drove up to Shawnee. After a few runs she started to have a good time and by the end of the day I knew everything was going to be ok. The people there are great too. The greeters at the base area were asking me what I thought and if I had any suggestions to make the place better. I told them its terrific just the way it is, except maybe get a better selection of local beer in the bar. Definitely going back.

I used my IndyPass at Shawnee as well this past season. Had grand plans for an WA indy road trip Hurricane, White Pass, Mission Ridge in April, but by mid March they were locked down. Took the GFs nephews to Shawnee to ride the WROD on their last day open. Not a place I'd normally take a trip to, but good fun and definitely in the spirit of the Indy pass.

As someone who loves Plattekill and The IndyPass, I would be happy to see that match happen, but I totally understand why Platty might not think it's the best deal for them. Hoping they add a CO mountain and maybe one of the smaller Tahoe resorts. DSR or Diamond maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by 2planks2coasts View Post
    I used my IndyPass at Shawnee as well this past season. Had grand plans for an WA indy road trip Hurricane, White Pass, Mission Ridge in April, but by mid March they were locked down. Took the GFs nephews to Shawnee to ride the WROD on their last day open. Not a place I'd normally take a trip to, but good fun and definitely in the spirit of the Indy pass.

As someone who loves Plattekill and The IndyPass, I would be happy to see that match happen, but I totally understand why Platty might not think it's the best deal for them. Hoping they add a CO mountain and maybe one of the smaller Tahoe resorts. DSR or Diamond maybe...
    Good deal. Sorry about you trip. I think a lot of us have a similar stories, unfortunately. I'm definitely down with the Indy when it goes on sale in September. The question now is Ikon or Epic to pair it with. So many choices....

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    ........The question now is Ikon or Epic to pair it with. So many choices....
    Indeed. I'm generally anti big corporate passes, every man has his price though. IKON is giving nurses a pretty hefty discount, so that might sway me. Previously had Powder Alliance with a loveland Season Pass. There's some overlap between Powder Alliance and IndyPass in the west. A similar amount of overlap with the Freedom Pass (via a Ski Cooper season pass) in the east. Not really a bad thing, as all of those possible combinations give you 70+ total mountains to play on!

Interview with IndyPass founder: https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcas...ss-founder-and

It's interesting, but rather long.

A few highlights, if you don't want to listen to the whole thing:

- average number of days a season pass holder uses his pass: 10 (from Natl Ski Area Assn)
    - average number of ski-days per season for non-season pass holders: 4 (NSSA)
    - number of days an IndyPass holder uses his pass: 4 or so
    - so ski areas got around $50 per visit, and they were good with that
    - max. number of days for anyone on IndyPass: 16
    - Fish expects to have 60 resorts, up from 52, on Sept 1
    - Indy uptake is highest in Washington (30% of passes), then Minnesota, followed by NY, MA, Conn
    Last edited by p_levert; May 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    - max. number of days for anyone on IndyPass: 16
    That's surprising low even with the short season. You would think at least one person would go crazy with the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    That's surprising low even with the short season. You would think at least one person would go crazy with the pass.
    I was shocked by that as well. Doug Fish even said that if you can max out your pass in a season (go to every Indy Pass ski area two days) he would give you a free Indy Pass for life. That would be tempting for some retired guy, but you do need to hit Eaglecrest in Alaska to cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    I was shocked by that as well. Doug Fish even said that if you can max out your pass in a season (go to every Indy Pass ski area two days) he would give you a free Indy Pass for life. That would be tempting for some retired guy, but you do need to hit Eaglecrest in Alaska to cash in.
    Aww man. Certainly someone here is up to that challenge. I could legit do one day at each resort if I planned it out right. Two days would require me to take vacation. Once the AK quarantine is lifted, Eaglecrest shouldn't be that difficult. If you're dedicated enough, ski a day at White Pass or Mission Ridge. Then catch the 9:05 pm SEA-JNU flight. Ski two days, leaving the mountain a bit early on day 2 for the 6pm flight back to SEA.

ETA: Even if nobody does all of them, there should be a contest for the most resorts to win a pass for the next season. Powder Alliance has the Wild West Powder Quest that requires IG check ins at each resort.

Besides Alaska, you also have to do two days at a bunch of 200 vert areas in Wisconsin and Michigan. For that, it would be better to *not* be retired, because at least you could get some work done from the cafeteria.

Thread Information