The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020 - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 133
  1. #91
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,363
    Hope for one more day tomorrow at pats peak and if okay maybe Sunday. Bottom was getting melted out before yesterday. Steeper parts still holding snow when I saw it this morning




    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  2. #92
    Wildcat announced today they are roping off their parking lot. Sounds like folks still aren't getting the message......

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #93
    Its a vicious cycle. Every area that closes down just pushes people to those few that are still not shut down and they become more crowded. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course the shut downs start with people not following the guidelines and coming in from out of state, etc so I guess it is no surprise we are where we are. Sure sucks for locals though, this is why we chose to live here. Now that some have ruined our limited recreational opportunities, please dont come up and compete for our medical services. Stay home!

  4. #94
    ...and Mt. Abram closed to uphill travel today. They were setting up a parking lot barricade when I was leaving and politely told me not to come back this spring. Too much traffic and travel and increasing pressure as other places closed.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

  5. #95
    The governor would be wise to shut down parking to out of state plates. Stiff fines. This goes for all states imo

  6. #96
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,363

    The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    The governor would be wise to shut down parking to out of state plates. Stiff fines. This goes for all states imo
    Parking where on private property?


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Parking where on private property?


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    I was referring to trailheads and stuff.

  8. #98
    They should shut down parking altogether. If you can’t walk to it, you shouldn’t be there (leaving aside the issue of whether anyone should be engaging in risky activities like skiing at this time). There is no difference in driving 2 hours from the NH coast and driving 2 hours from just over the MA border.

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    They should shut down parking altogether. If you can’t walk to it, you shouldn’t be there (leaving aside the issue of whether anyone should be engaging in risky activities like skiing at this time). There is no difference in driving 2 hours from the NH coast and driving 2 hours from just over the MA border.
    Yep I agree keeping it local counts. I'm down in southern nh and staying close to home. Sure do miss the mountains but they ain't going anywhere

  10. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by flakeydog View Post
    It’s a vicious cycle. Every area that closes down just pushes people to those few that are still not shut down and they become more crowded. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course the shut downs start with people not following the guidelines and coming in from out of state, etc so I guess it is no surprise we are where we are. Sure sucks for locals though, this is why we chose to live here. Now that some have ruined our limited recreational opportunities, please don’t come up and compete for our medical services. Stay home!
    +1 on this.

    I had been holding out hope that Mt. Abram would be able to allow access at least another week or two (which, at the current rate, is about how long I'd expect the snow to be reasonable and not silly skiing). Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to keep myself and my dog from going crazy between now and hiking season—most trails are either still snowed in, or in a mud-season situation that makes usage a bad stewardship decision (plus those trails are getting a significant amount of traffic now with very few options available), and road-walking is both higher-risk than skiing and involves interacting with a lot more people and dogs.

    I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the number of people who don't understand that skiing (particularly when earning turns, but also can be applied to any number of any other inherently risky outdoor activities) can, for those of us who have chosen to live near reasonable venues and have the experience to evaluate and mitigate risks, be done in a manner involving reasonably low risks is significant; unfortunately, the number of people who don't understand "live near" and "in a manner involving reasonably low risks" is even more significant and resulting in very few options to get outside in a reasonable manner.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.