• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

Bosco DaSkia

Original May Gibbs artwork from the 1918 Spanish Flu...... and history repeats again.

89886664_10157962154162591_8537849510716506112_n.jpg

kbroderick

Things around here have been frozen up pretty damn solid the past couple of days. Took the dog out for a walk yesterday that included some of the low-elevation terrain at Sunday River, and the sunny side of Roadrunner was soft enough to walk on, but the terrain below Easy Street on South Ridge was difficult to walk up (had to follow a snowmachine track) and would have made for filling-rattling skiing at best. I can only guess at how terrifying the upper-mountain stuff would be, as everything softened significantly before freezing back up hard.

If the forecast holds over the next 24 hours, we're going to end up with a small to middling amount of fresh snow on a layer of solid ice, with the fresh snow hiding the irregularities in that ice. If you're planning to ascend, bring your crampons. If you don't have crampons, an axe, and the knowledge of how to use them, it might be a good time not to be on anything steep enough to slide down. Visual learners are advised to check out the Mount Washington Avalanche Center social media feeds; they posted some pretty good slide-the-headwall videos.

Edd

I went to the River this morning, not sure what to expect. I found some groomer trails and had no problems. Apparently, they are dropping the tillers as they go about business at the River. I watched them remove seat covers at Barker, sleds from the sled sheds at Lift 2 (South Ridge Express).

Snow tonight!

That’s pretty nice of SR. How high did you go?

granite

Cannon posted this on their conditions page yesterday:

March 23, 2020 - A Note About Skinning:

Please be safe! Snow conditions in Franconia Notch and at Cannon have been icy and unforgiving after several freeze-thaw cycles. Even with new snow, that can still present many dangers and unforeseen risks. Please know that if you choose to hike or skin (or participate in any other activity) at Cannon or in Franconia Notch at this time, you do so completely at your own risk and at the risk of others. Cannon Mountain’s Patrol personnel are not on property, and any rescue required would involve significant delays and risk to our local emergency responders who’ve already been stretched thin by the COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage you to practice social distancing and avoid unnecessary risks.

kbroderick

For visual thinkers (from Maine, but the weather pattern has been pretty consistent regionally):

1F19O8egW9gFQHLWK7_gGfQT4wwQdHHL-l-KBEB5tHf7MySd4NTFV4c2MOprI3t4QRnDV_65qCjyyyQ9pO7EXGY2DShbMvuY5LzXnJPTZ9H8X045zt_ivDvgTXM8a3vcax5SvZ5NP0bWo2Dw1ksmjYFssu_lF8JKE7Qjg3JZbXoiMHdc534nCzgBQMtszZ0_8-_R9VVqG_5KTeJhCPFNi_aieljUrhgiSY0vQ-iU1U3gmmdZ9c8MjgNdNuVAJJdyG_pOGn6Wm04OAbtQAL9loUs91UpfQpb01Hosu-oEO35gE4Q7LhKxlpHzG6Cn9lksdvTl-3wdXS-eg6gVZBqQiWG2TqkCHsURkbB9eXQWDzeU9QBsVh3tUFj3ED4nFpon82aWX23awJ9CklSLXCAemxOUdKrFjxuu4FJ2tctIN4ZiMa1CzkooD9G6CG3sfxa_CUzpWkRXUJPc25Gxcgb0_3ajBYdPEOvbB8bFOgAifTRmVF1XLrwojk16RuF30HGIMekHTuD3rMcjOJwg0MGGueJvqT6ZkoG8W3TRvALqACb_sD-qKx1WLreA2TnSELfhb6_KUAIeQQzaaddNcb-QtGz7tKqo7_Pc4EVRO4TYdmS9y0fvHlzxsOQR_NBBNYDNvMGLx96YAil0J4xbq7793YBc4txni0827F1wZbGQNjI0IDDYgfnBCVkySG5_2O6VxpM7hMd_OFxHva7cvhJN36EWl5u-AbErjG1UH1PgddN38_T92dWPWXQ=w1374-h1832-no

I'm not saying there were no good turns, but the underlayer was very evident and it's pretty eye-opening how much of an impact a lack of tilling has. If you're going to skin, please do so local to wherever you are, and expect variable conditions (especially with the temperature swings this week, I'd expect wallpaper paste in some areas until we get a proper corn cycle).

Smellytele

Pats peak had some sierra cement this afternoon. 7-8" had fallen over night but it had compacted down 4=5 by the time I got there at 2. Lots of tracks but didn't see many people - maybe 6 or 7. Hard to turn, scary to go straight with the fear of the skis sticking and me flying forward. Still better than sitting at home.

skiur

Killington/Pico now closed to uphill travel . Apparently the mountain was pretty busy with the new snow today.

tumbler

I have a feeling most if not all mountains will close to uphill traffic. All it will take is one accident or injury that the EMT's need to deal with instead of having ski patrol. It will be under the guise of essential resources being taken away from responding to normal emergencies.

machski

I have a feeling most if not all mountains will close to uphill traffic. All it will take is one accident or injury that the EMT's need to deal with instead of having ski patrol. It will be under the guise of essential resources being taken away from responding to normal emergencies.
Maybe, but I know at Sunday River, while they have posted no patrol on duty, you assume your own recovery, patrol is in fact still around. They are still taking the mountain down to its summer state (tower pads down, ropes down, etc). For how much longer, who knows. But for now, if a call came in, pretty sure the mountain would be the one doing the rescue (and I would hope charging the injured party for it too).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

There’s been a good deal of congregation at Gunstock in the parking lot and at the Pan Pub deck on the summit. Word is they’ll start blocking access to the deck.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

chuckstah

Took a bunch of runs at the Front Yard ski area today. I have it at 27 to 33 vertical depending on the run. Getting thin. May be closing day [emoji3525]IMG_20200325_192019974.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app