• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

dblskifanatic

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

Here in Colorado backcountry skiing has been shut down after Loveland Pass was mobbed.

A snowboarder ignoring the ban and was chasing powder after a storm triggered an avalanche that closed I 70. All ski areas are discouraging uphill access since many of their ski patrol and rescue personnel are helping areas due to COVID 19.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/backcountry-recreation-banned-in-colorado-mountain-county/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

drjeff

Just for perspective, for those who think that the forest service can't/won't close Tuck's, the forest services close "cousin", the national parks service, has closed 4 of it's marquee parks, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Yosemite, and the Smokey Mountain national parks. Many national parks have also had specific sections that tend to attract a high volume of visitors closed as well.

People just need to actually stay home, and not seek any outdoor recreation/exercise out of the immediate (with say 10 miles or a town or 2 over) vicinity of where the live to stop the geographic spread of the virus

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Bumpsis

I just checked with the White Mountains National Forest (their web page, that is) to see if hiking is still OK in that terrain. It seems to be.
Also checked a hiking report from Sunapee - it is a NH state park for those who don't venture to NH often, not only a ski area and here's a copy of it:

"Although the day clouded over, temps a comfortable high 40's, little wind. Views good and distant under clouds. Trail up had little snow, but patchy ice (easily avoided), and increasing mud alternating with dry stretches. Barebooting worked for us. Snow covered ski trails were an easy walk down with slight loose wet snow over hard base. Numerous skiers/boarders from summit on down ski trails.
A fine day. good to note when Summit trail becomes so muddy that use would be damaging."

I underlined the interesting part of that report. This is from this past Saturday. So if anyone is inclined to hike up the ski slopes for some turns, sounds like it's OK. Sunapee is no Tucks but it's fun and much less effort. Probably fewer people too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sununu should be closing the parks. Not because what is being done there is inherently conducive to spreading the virus, but because of likely unnecessary stops travelers make along the way. Rest areas, gas stations, restaurants, liquor stores etc.

He can close the border for all I care.

I'm going as stircrazy as the next person just walking my own neighborhood for exercise and fresh air. I'm trying to keep my grocery store visits to one trip a week. When you see stacks of dead bodies in NYC being lifted into freezer trucks with fork lifts, it's not that difficult to keep this "hardship" in perspective. I don't want that happening up here. It's unlikely it will, but it's just not worth the risk to give people enticement to travel around.

The hope is that if everyone does their part, we can ease back to normal life at the end of April. I can only imagine what this would be like if it were July.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

rdart

Lost Skin

Figured this would be a pretty good place to post. Did anyone loose a splitboard skin off little jay recently. I found one buried this past weekend. And since skinning with one skin would suck I was hoping to find the person who lost it.