• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

Domeskier

They should shut down parking altogether. If you can’t walk to it, you shouldn’t be there (leaving aside the issue of whether anyone should be engaging in risky activities like skiing at this time). There is no difference in driving 2 hours from the NH coast and driving 2 hours from just over the MA border.

snoseek

They should shut down parking altogether. If you can’t walk to it, you shouldn’t be there (leaving aside the issue of whether anyone should be engaging in risky activities like skiing at this time). There is no difference in driving 2 hours from the NH coast and driving 2 hours from just over the MA border.

Yep I agree keeping it local counts. I'm down in southern nh and staying close to home. Sure do miss the mountains but they ain't going anywhere

kbroderick

It’s a vicious cycle. Every area that closes down just pushes people to those few that are still not shut down and they become more crowded. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course the shut downs start with people not following the guidelines and coming in from out of state, etc so I guess it is no surprise we are where we are. Sure sucks for locals though, this is why we chose to live here. Now that some have ruined our limited recreational opportunities, please don’t come up and compete for our medical services. Stay home!

+1 on this.

I had been holding out hope that Mt. Abram would be able to allow access at least another week or two (which, at the current rate, is about how long I'd expect the snow to be reasonable and not silly skiing). Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to keep myself and my dog from going crazy between now and hiking season—most trails are either still snowed in, or in a mud-season situation that makes usage a bad stewardship decision (plus those trails are getting a significant amount of traffic now with very few options available), and road-walking is both higher-risk than skiing and involves interacting with a lot more people and dogs.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the number of people who don't understand that skiing (particularly when earning turns, but also can be applied to any number of any other inherently risky outdoor activities) can, for those of us who have chosen to live near reasonable venues and have the experience to evaluate and mitigate risks, be done in a manner involving reasonably low risks is significant; unfortunately, the number of people who don't understand "live near" and "in a manner involving reasonably low risks" is even more significant and resulting in very few options to get outside in a reasonable manner.

Smellytele

+1 on this.

I had been holding out hope that Mt. Abram would be able to allow access at least another week or two (which, at the current rate, is about how long I'd expect the snow to be reasonable and not silly skiing). Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to keep myself and my dog from going crazy between now and hiking season—most trails are either still snowed in, or in a mud-season situation that makes usage a bad stewardship decision (plus those trails are getting a significant amount of traffic now with very few options available), and road-walking is both higher-risk than skiing and involves interacting with a lot more people and dogs.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the number of people who don't understand that skiing (particularly when earning turns, but also can be applied to any number of any other inherently risky outdoor activities) can, for those of us who have chosen to live near reasonable venues and have the experience to evaluate and mitigate risks, be done in a manner involving reasonably low risks is significant; unfortunately, the number of people who don't understand "live near" and "in a manner involving reasonably low risks" is even more significant and resulting in very few options to get outside in a reasonable manner.

That last paragraph is a long run on sentence

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

STREETSKIER

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

We had what appears to be the last snowfall
It’s now 60 and raining hard
I have been hiking a lot during the pandemic
It’s my back yard
Mostly Lincoln peak a few mt Ellen’s and Sunday I ventured to the forbidden zone
I was rewarded with fresh spring dense snow
The runs early before the warm up were stellar some of the best Ive had up there’re .the
5753652b88f38647d12eb849eb6a0c94.jpg

sun came out and cooked it but I had a great morning on my old ski hill lots of memories best time to experience it is closed and empty
d36835a636ce996017eaa4fa69e5d903.jpg

[
e6a3a02afc2fbf98a91611fcf391ee2c.jpg

b2c533cd28d3eef72eeee6b15123ad69.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200413/854c66be729e43563b0acb3936c689b9.jpg[/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flakeydog

Slalom Hill.

At least someone is having fun. Problem is the masses cannot be trusted. Looks like “don’t ask don’t tell” season at this point. If no one saw you, were you there?