• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

machski

Sunday River:

Sunday River made the decision to suspend all resort operations on March 15 and close the mountain, lodging properties, restaurants, and base lodges until further notice. Please note that closing the mountain includes suspending all trail access including uphill travel.
Yup, they now consider it trespassing, so a fine County Sherrif may be waiting for you when you come off hill. That was a hard pivot, but they align with SL and Loon for Boyne now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

There are ways around everything. Especially if you are by yourself, smart and not stupid enough to get hurt. If I was living in Bethel, this would not stop me. There are many very discrete places to access the snow.

flakeydog

And SB and MRG are closed after today.

Well I guess it was bound to happen. The shrinking pool was certainly concentrating the fish. MRG and Mt Ellen lots were 1/3 plus full last Saturday and a lot of non-green plates out there as well. Next will be keeping the masses off of the more sensitive hiking trails until after Memorial day. Tough in a normal year but will really be hard this year.

kbroderick

Well I guess it was bound to happen. The shrinking pool was certainly concentrating the fish. MRG and Mt Ellen lots were 1/3 plus full last Saturday and a lot of non-green plates out there as well. Next will be keeping the masses off of the more sensitive hiking trails until after Memorial day. Tough in a normal year but will really be hard this year.

The letter from Win Smith and Matt Lillard cites drawing people in as a significant reason for the closure:

Win Smith and Matt Lillard said:
...As we have become two of the last areas permitting this activity, we are concerned that this will now bring even more people into our community at a time when it is not in anyone’s best interest. Last weekend both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen saw a large volume of visitors traveling here from around the state and beyond. Though most were practicing social distancing we unfortunately understand that some may not have been following the proper guidelines. Given the favorable weather this weekend, we would anticipate even larger numbers if we don’t close uphill travel....

Sounds rather similar to the MWAC statement prior to WMNF closing the Cutler River Drainage, and I'm sure it's been a factor in every other uphill closure this spring. It's really unfortunate, though, that people who are local to Pinkham Notch can't do Sherbie laps to get out and exercise, and that MRV residents can't ski in what is effectively their own backyard.

So ya'll who can't figure out how not to travel, you are a significant part of the problem. Please stay local to your primary residence.

There are ways around everything. Especially if you are by yourself, smart and not stupid enough to get hurt. If I was living in Bethel, this would not stop me. There are many very discrete places to access the snow.

A lot of people who are local to the places that are closing have close connections to those mountains, whether via employment or just by being committed to being in the area, and consequently have some level of inclination to behave as asked, whether out of simple respect for the people they work with and work for, or because they know that their vehicles are somewhat recognizable and even if parked in out-of-the-way corners would eventually get noticed. Risking a no-trespass order and not being allowed back on property for a year or longer isn't something that many such people would take lightly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The letter from Win Smith and Matt Lillard cites drawing people in as a significant reason for the closure:

Sounds rather similar to the MWAC statement prior to WMNF closing the Cutler River Drainage, and I'm sure it's been a factor in every other uphill closure this spring. It's really unfortunate, though, that people who are local to Pinkham Notch can't do Sherbie laps to get out and exercise, and that MRV residents can't ski in what is effectively their own backyard.

So ya'll who can't figure out how not to travel, you are a significant part of the problem. Please stay local to your primary residence.

A lot of people who are local to the places that are closing have close connections to those mountains, whether via employment or just by being committed to being in the area, and consequently have some level of inclination to behave as asked, whether out of simple respect for the people they work with and work for, or because they know that their vehicles are somewhat recognizable and even if parked in out-of-the-way corners would eventually get noticed. Risking a no-trespass order and not being allowed back on property for a year or longer isn't something that many such people would take lightly.

I get it and all, but the other big concern is SAR. Now I know that you and me will say, "we know what we are doing, we won't get hurt," but none of us know. It happens. That's why they are saying don't go out, especially in the WMNF.

thetrailboss

Staff member
But that is NOT what the authorities are saying. Again, I quote:
"They are not saying you can not do this, you are allowed to, just be smart, practice social distancing, etc.... Don't be a total bonehead like the folks at the River this past weekend."

More here:
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/news-even...6FvaVga9hrwEJpN8iUgjugtQ-phPRG545lqCIt2gDUuSY

I get it, there are going to be boneheads out there, but they are so easily avoided. You just have to go out with the mindset that I may not be doing this. TBD once I arrive and take a look at the crowding. Most of what I do is sans crowds anyways. Most places I hike, I might see a half dozen people on any given day. There are places where I'll see the crowds (not going there these days).

I mean, if we are going to go along the lines of none of us know... And I do agree, none of us really do know, I guess I should be breaking out my asteroid shield as well, because, I just don't know an asteroid won't hit my house. These guidelines come to us from the best minds we have, the CDC, etc.... I take their guidelines as the minimum we need to do, and to be fair, I'm shuttered up in my house and have been for a day or so. But I am also gonna get outside and breath in some fresh air, well away from others, according to government guidelines.

Well, the WMNF statement says all but don't go out based on my read. Granted, there's no real way to "close" a forest.

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/advisory/bulletin-issued-on-monday-march-30-2020-2/

kbroderick

I get it and all, but the other big concern is SAR. Now I know that you and me will say, "we know what we are doing, we won't get hurt," but none of us know. It happens. That's why they are saying don't go out, especially in the WMNF.

IMO, it's about picking time and place and dialing it back while also sticking with familiar activities. Owen Leepers is a pro skier out of Jackson Hole who has been posting some recent stuff that would be in the range between "sweet" and "terrifying" for me. For him, that is dialed back.

For me, the safest way to actually get my (active) dog enough exercise this time of year is to go skinning and skiing. When trails are dry, hiking is an option, but I'm a lot safer on skis than I am on an icy trail wearing hiking boots at this point. He's not an off-lead dog (and definitely isn't going to become one during a pandemic), so descending on skis—while potentially higher-risk for the dog—is substantially lower risk for me. I'm not sending anything particularly steep, and I'm most certainly not skiing trees with a leashed dog.

And yes, as a former patroller and a backcountry skier, I'm willing to say that I'm capable of making my own risk assessments. The scary part (IMO) is that we've all seen reports of stores sold out of skins, which strongly suggests a lot of folks who not only lack backcountry skiing experience to understand risks, but are potentially falling into a "familiarity" heuristic trap because they're in a comfortable-to-them environment that is missing the risk management usually present.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the page:

[FONT=&] If venturing into the mountains, be sure to use all available resources to help plan your trip and make safe travel decisions.

Edit, my earlier post, I copied the wrong statement and have corrected it, statement should have been this:
[/FONT]
"Residents typically can leave if they're performing "essential" activities such as grocery shopping, going to the doctor or exercising while practicing safe social distancing."

Frankly, I'm not going to debate what they are or are not saying. Especially if you're cherry picking comments. It seems pretty clear to me, and most of the world, that the message is clear. Here is what you missed and I have highlighted exactly what the main point is:

At this time, the need to reduce exposure of workers and forest visitors to the novel coronavirus outweighs the value of providing avalanche safety information to backcountry travelers. This decision was made in order to better provide for public health and safety by reducing interactions between the recreating public, USFS employees and volunteers.

NH Governor’s Order Section 18 of Executive Order 2020-04, part 4 requests that the public limit non-essential travel and further defines essential businesses and activities. Among the allowed activities are “leaving home for outdoor recreation” or “to get fresh air and exercise” provided that appropriate social distancing protocols are observed. The travel and social congregation that have continued to occur in Tuckerman Ravine, nearby trails, and parking areas suggest that more aggressive measures are needed in order to comply with state and federal guidelines intended to reduce the spread and impact of coronavirus.

The USFS and MWAC understand and support the need for outdoor recreation, fresh air and exercise but interpret the measures to limit the spread should exclude riskier activities, particularly at a highly popular venue which attracts visitors from around the region. Furthermore, high risk activities such as skiing and climbing in complex avalanche terrain with extreme weather conditions create an unnecessary risk of injury or a need for search and rescue intervention. These injuries could lead to rescues and the opportunity to further spread the virus through close contact. We also acknowledge that the absence of avalanche and mountain safety forecasts increases your risk in the backcountry, but since backcountry travel is not an essential need at this time of pandemic, you assume this increased risk.
We will continue to support local rescue teams with spot forecasts on request.

Thank you for your support as we all grapple with challenging decisions and redefine our work and community life. We look forward to getting through this pandemic with a minimum loss of life and economic disruption.

Let's not spin it. It's pretty damn clear what they are saying, at least in the Tuckerman Ravine area.

Hawk

I don't live at Sunday River any more and I am not in residence at Sugarbush. I will do my part and stay away until a time it is safe. But if I lived in my old place at SR, I see no harm in going to my hidden little place waking about 1/2 mile. Skinning 1 hour and skiing back down by myself. Mostly really low angle and with practically no way for anyone to see me. Not even mountain ops. Not at this place. But this is all a moot point because I do not live there anymore and I'm not going. Just saying.
What I am is blessed actually. Trail conditions where I live are the best spring conditions in years. I have been riding MTB since February and a few of us go most days. We meet in the trails, stay 20 or 30 feet apart and have a beer at the end. I just feel bad for the locals. There are some up at SR that are still discretely doing what they do and I say good for them.

Smellytele

Hope for one more day tomorrow at pats peak and if okay maybe Sunday. Bottom was getting melted out before yesterday. Steeper parts still holding snow when I saw it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

flakeydog

It’s a vicious cycle. Every area that closes down just pushes people to those few that are still not shut down and they become more crowded. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course the shut downs start with people not following the guidelines and coming in from out of state, etc so I guess it is no surprise we are where we are. Sure sucks for locals though, this is why we chose to live here. Now that some have ruined our limited recreational opportunities, please don’t come up and compete for our medical services. Stay home!

kbroderick

...and Mt. Abram closed to uphill travel today. They were setting up a parking lot barricade when I was leaving and politely told me not to come back this spring. Too much traffic and travel and increasing pressure as other places closed.

snoseek

The governor would be wise to shut down parking to out of state plates. Stiff fines. This goes for all states imo