• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Earn Your Turns" Thread Spring 2020

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm sure some of you will be out hiking/skinning up to ski this spring (I plan on it). If we all communicate in one thread we can discuss who is allowing skinning/who isn't, what's skiing well, and how the snow is holding up.

Weekend looks cold and next week looks wet.

If we could keep the COVID-19 discussion OUT that'd be nice...those that want to ski will ski, those who won't will not.

Domeskier

I noticed some skins while searching the web for ski deals. Those things really cost $125+ a pair? I would have guessed $10-$15.

snoseek

I'm laid off but have switched over to mtb at this point. My touring setup is sitting in my buddies she shed in Colorado and my shiny new mad Russians skis have yet to get mounted as I'm waiting till I have the disposable income for a proper touring binding and skins. All you guys that get some know I'm jealous. I'm staying local and riding.

amf

I was at Hogback in VT the first weekend in March. Skiing was ok, but definitely not gonna last long. Snowpack was barely half of a normal season, with lots of crustiness. If your going to skin this season, in-bounds now that the ski areas are closed is the only place to go.

slatham

FWIW Bromley and Magic are allowing uphill. Not sure about Stratton's policy but from the CAMs there are people skiing. Mt Snow gives all kinds of warnings and expressly says no sledding, but no prohibition on uphill based on reading last snow report.

I am hoping to get to Bromley next week and skin. Love to think it snows at some point too.....

granite

I was told a couple of years ago by a Pat's Peak Patroller that the uphill routes-the outer most trails on each side, are open 24 hours a day for free. That they do this as a thank you to the community, for any type of uphill travel. The only requirement was that you read their uphill policy on their web site. I'm not sure how much snow is left, or if they have changed this policy or not. I couldn't find anything on their website and I called but their office was closed. Link to their uphill policy: https://www.patspeak.com/Plan-Your-Visit/Uphill-Travel-Policy.aspx

granite

One more thing on Pat's Peak, it's by far the best uphill policy I have ever seen, and I have read a lot of them. You can even take your dog as long as it's on a leash.

Smellytele

One more thing on Pat's Peak, it's by far the best uphill policy I have ever seen, and I have read a lot of them. You can even take your dog as long as it's on a leash.

I skin up pats all the time. I only take the dog when they are closed. Also only use the outermost trail when they are open.

chuckstah

I plan to be at Crotched tomorrow. There's been a ton of uphill traffic. 3 inches or so today and reports were good, although I wasn't there.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Lots of folks skinning Hunter. Many trails groomed before they pulled the plug on Saturday. We'll be out Saturday

Terry

I plan on skinning Shawnee Peak tonight after work and both days this weekend. I do this every season after they close so no different other than more trail options right now.

skimagic

FWIW Bromley and Magic are allowing uphill. Not sure about Stratton's policy but from the CAMs there are people skiing. Mt Snow gives all kinds of warnings and expressly says no sledding, but no prohibition on uphill based on reading last snow report.

I am hoping to get to Bromley next week and skin. Love to think it snows at some point too.....

Bromley's website says uphill is closed. Mt snow webcams disabled. I did see a few folks at Stratton so I might give it a shot, and if kicked out, head over to Magic.

slatham

Bromley's website says uphill is closed. Mt snow webcams disabled. I did see a few folks at Stratton so I might give it a shot, and if kicked out, head over to Magic.

For Bromley that is probably just the official stance. I highly doubt they are enforcing. In fact the new cam right now shows 2 people skinning and two people hiking. At your own risk obviously. And observing social distancing.....