Ski area bankruptcies - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Thanks

Most everybody with a functioning brain knows we are in for world of hurt and this economic pause needs to end as soon as possible.

It's really the second part of my post that is most important. If social distancing is the new normal when facing a pandemic, what are the standards (laws) going to be? When do we tell Grandpa to stay home? When do we hold our kids home. When is it so bad we have to go nuclear and have everyone stay home?

Our response to this has been basically flying by the seat of our pants.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If we are to live in a free society do we really need laws to tell X or Y to stay home, especially over something that seems to have a pretty low death rate?

If we had an honest media and any govt we could trust even a lil, individuals could make these decisions on their own. This panic was caused and fueled by a media that is extremely dishonest and loves sensationalism, and politicians who love being central to a story. Without panic we’d be fine. Panic is herd behavior. It is definitely a result of a collective elite class brain fart that our children and grandchildren will still be paying for after we pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    This is a financial bloodbath and those "over 60" are losing their retirement funds.
    Maybe those over 60 should just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" like they keep telling younger people to do. Because that works so well, right?

Meanwhile there's a whole generation of young people that graduated college and struggled to enter the workforce in 2008 in the middle of recession, and now were just about ready to start their family, right during the beginning of a potential Great Depression 2.0

This virus really exposes the corruption of American society in general. Yes, young people may not die from COVID-10, but once they get medical treatment and see their hospital bill, they are going to want to Die.

The only good thing I see coming out out of this pandemic is that hopefully there is:
    • An overhaul of our health care system
    • An acknowledgement within the government that science is real, and that we can't just fire our pandemic response team and hope for the best.

As for skiing, it will always remain a rich man's sport. I highly expect the number of skiers next year to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Hate to tell you but us 60+ old geezers also control most of the $$ in this country so that ain't happening.

And you know full well that healthy 60+ folks aren't really in any more danger than 40-50 year olds. Our problem in this country is an extraordinary percentage of people of all ages in poor health in many cases by choice.

Do I think the current path we are going down is an overreaction? Yes! But that's probably because I'm not worried about dying even if I get it. This is a political reaction to the fact that nobody can afford the political fallout from folks dropping dead in the streets. And that goes for both sides of the aisle. This is a calamity born from a perfect storm of poor choices on many fronts. A total clusterfuck!!

So hunker down and hope you come out whole when it's over.
    $$$ saved up over a lifetime wouldn't be of much use of you're older and get sick when the hospital system in your area is at/over capacity. Younger people will have priority.

If we lock everyone in working age away too long, you'd better hope your wealth is in cash. The economy cannot handle this for several months. A prolonged shutdown would be extremely hazardous to your wealth.

While the 60+ crowd might not like it, the reality seems to be they have extra invective to stay home.

I certainly don't have the magic solution, but getting healthy people back to work as soon as practicable is critically important if we want to recover from this reasonably well. If that means asking high risk people to stay home longer than low risk people, that night be the best solution for everyone.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

40% of those hospitalized in US are 20-54 and 12%of those in icu are 20-44. Sure old folks die more, but this affects all population age groups

Quote Originally Posted by Cat in January View Post
    40% of those hospitalized in US are 20-54 and 12%of those in icu are 20-44. Sure old folks die more, but this affects all population age groups
    how many of those folks had an underlying medical condition to begin with? I'd like to see the breakout on that. are these people battling cancer? Chronic conditions? Diabetes?

The stats make it seem like a lot of healthy young people are getting hospitalized. Is that really the case?

I really don't know, but it seems like important data

https://time.com/5805368/will-corona...-organization/

Interesting article with a WHO senior advisor.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    As opposed to "locking" everyone in America from infant to 104 years old a home? I've been out of the house 3 times in 11 days. The economic destruction being wrought is devastating. Literally tens-of-millions of new unemployment claims filed. How many will die from that? DOW futures are down almost 800 points as I type this as Schumer & Pelosi nixed the "bipartisan plan" to get more goodies. This is a financial bloodbath and those "over 60" are losing their retirement funds.
    To get more goodies? The bill as it was constructed would allow companies to be bailed out, yet still fire/lay employees off. It is/was basically a bill completely company-centric and not looking at people/workers at all. Also, Trump's hotels and properties will be allowed to be bailed out, etc.
    https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/stat...313581057?s=20

Most businesses have no choice to shut down right now and lay people off. The point was to get them money to sustain things so when this craziness is over, they can re open and hire people back.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    Most businesses have no choice to shut down right now and lay people off. The point was to get them money to sustain things so when this craziness is over, they can re open and hire people back.
    Understood, that part sucks and is why a bailout is necessary and will happen. However, the idea/opposition is that there is no protection for workers included. So, a company can be bailed out (receive money) and then still turn around and fire/layoff employees. How is that OK? I'm not talking about companies who have had to shut down and lay people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Understood, that part sucks and is why a bailout is necessary and will happen. However, the idea/opposition is that there is no protection for workers included. So, a company can be bailed out (receive money) and then still turn around and fire/layoff employees. How is that OK? I'm not talking about companies who have had to shut down and lay people off.
    The european models make much more sense. Direct loans to businesses to pay 75% of laid off workers wages. Loans then forgiven if used for that purpose

Thread Information