• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski area bankruptcies

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTKilarney

I think you completely missed my point. I disagree with BG and don't think they created it.

BG didn't say that they created it. He said that they will take some, ahem, "shortcuts" in developing a vaccine.

Bumpsis

I think you completely missed my point. I disagree with BG and don't think they created it.

OK, got it. I think that BG was simply referring to a more or less known fact that the Chinese government has a reputation for less than humane/ethical way of treating their prisoners, like perhaps using them to test a fast tracked vaccine. Granted, the US prison system is no shining example of anything considered humane, but I'd hope that medical experimentation isn't part of what's going on here.
This stuff has always been a rich fodder for chilling SiFi - the Ludovico Technique from Clockwork Oragane comes to mind.

cdskier

What are you disagreeing with me about?

Sorry, my apologies. I misinterpreted your comment and read way too far into it then. Hard to keep track of who stands where on some of these issues.

OK, got it. I think that BG was simply referring to a more or less known fact that the Chinese government has a reputation for less than humane/ethical way of treating their prisoners, like perhaps using them to test a fast tracked vaccine. Granted, the US prison system is no shining example of anything considered humane, but I'd hope that medical experimentation isn't part of what's going on here.
This stuff has always been a rich fodder for chilling SiFi - the Ludovico Technique from Clockwork Oragane comes to mind.

Yea, upon re-reading I see that as well.

Dickc

New Hampshire just reported 16,000 unemployment insurance applications in the past three days. That is the tip of the iceburg.

Massachusetts had 17382 applications for unemployment in the month of February, Monday March 6th, they had 19884 applications on just that one day. Think about that for a moment!

prsboogie

Sorry, my apologies. I misinterpreted your comment and read way too far into it then. Hard to keep track of who stands where on some of these issues.

Yea, upon re-reading I see that as well.
No the USG saves that sort of thing for their enlisted people

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TyWebb

Keep in mind Vail has got business coming in from elsewhere, its not just ski-related. A lot of their resorts have 4-season operations.
We are committing economic suicide so it does not matter how many seasons these areas operate. We're going to see tons of bankruptcies in all industries.

icecoast1

I'd rather count this crisis in dollars after, than in lives now.

You'll be counting this crisis in lives for many years if we go into a long lasting recession or depression thanks to this over reaction

TyWebb

I'd rather count this crisis in dollars after, than in lives now.
Globally there will 10’s of millions dead from economic devastation. This is the worst mis-reaction hot take in history.

I worry about the virus hurting my parents, but that worry is NOTHING compared to the worry I have about a collapsing economy and how it will impact my children, family, (everyone’s) etc. This shit isn’t going to get better. The curve isn’t going to flatten in a few weeks. I can’t imagine the government, state or feds, saying, “Fuck it, there’s nothing we can do. Go about your business.” We all know that won’t happen as we can’t even get out of an un-winnable war we’ve been involved in for 18+ years. They’re going to stubbornly ride this out and when the virus passes, we’re all going to wish the virus took us.

VTKilarney

I think if we just quarantined everyone over 60, we could have saved lives & saved the economy.

My thought exactly. Tell the vulnerable to hunker down, deliver them food and supplies, and let everyone get sick and then get better.

prsboogie

My thought exactly. Tell the vulnerable to hunker down, deliver them food and supplies, and let everyone get sick and then get better.
All well and good but it's not just 60+ year olds who are dying. We just had a 52 year old die yesterday in Massachusetts so ageism doesn't necessarily work in this case. Yes they are more vulnerable but there are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.