• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski area bankruptcies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

You could ease the strain on the system and keep the economy going at the same time. Shutting the whole country down is a gross over reaction

Unfortunately you would have had to aggressively tested and tracked the earliest cases to keep the numbers down to do that. We will be dealing with sick individuals who were infected 1-2 weeks ago. The numbers are already quite high and the govt response kneecapped itself by not expanding testing capacity early on. We are still far away from the kind of uniform testing that would be necessary to do this. It may be possible in two weeks, but it is better to plan as if it won't while hoping it does right now.

We will be experiencing that large strain on the system inevitably at this point. I understand the concept of not wanting to harm the economy, but that would have required policies and planning that simply wasn't in place.

machski

Right... because they have not yet been bailed out or received any financial aid. I understand that part of it. You can't save everyone's jobs when the economy is getting completely crushed like it is/has been. I'm not sure what they plan to do with businesses that are being forced to shut down, especially small businesses. Will they be bailed out? Probably not.
Well, every day that goes by with the economy shut causes shrinking of business still open. Everyday that goes by without corporate aid is a deeper and deeper hole they find themselves in. When said aid does arrive, if that hole got deeper than needed, that will cost jobs as they now have the burden of debt to carry as well. All this is intertwined JCB. Giving a company money is needed, but if the business is smaller or they have more debt burden, they will have to she's jobs. And the "bailout" will never fully cover their cash burns, it will only soften them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

TyWebb

Man i didnt realize it but apparently our economy really needs all of the following to save it from bankruptcies collapse

Us postal bailout
Early voting
Election audits
Wind and solar tax credits
Federal employee union collective bargaining
New emissions standards for airlines

Now we can all definitely feel better and more confident that our politicians have their finger on the pulse of Americans and our immediate needs

icecoast1

New York might be worse than Italy the way things are going.

As to POTUS, I have the feeling he can't himself predict what he's going to say.

New Yorks death rate is around .9 percent below the nation's average and nowhere near italy. The City itself will probably go down as the hardest hit in the Country but saying it's worse than Italy is exaggerating

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Man i didnt realize it but apparently our economy really needs all of the following to save it from bankruptcies collapse

Us postal bailout
Early voting
Election audits
Wind and solar tax credits
Federal employee union collective bargaining
New emissions standards for airlines

Now we can all definitely feel better and more confident that our politicians have their finger on the pulse of Americans and our immediate needs

NONE of this has to do with coronavirus safety, saving Americans' jobs or keeping the US economy from collapsing.

Honestly, when I first heard this I figured it must be a far-right rumor (i.e. a political lie), but it's true, and you can even find this last minute **** crammed into the bill (text of one example below).

Thousands of Americans are literally losing their jobs by the hour (again, literally), but let's hold all this up for Global Warming studies, Union handouts, Wind farms, and a host of other Democrat campaign donor goodie handouts. I am sick to my stomach.

https://twitter.com/WallWallme/status/1242150230189105155?s=20

fbrissette

New Yorks death rate is around .9 percent below the nation's average and nowhere near italy. The City itself will probably go down as the hardest hit in the Country but saying it's worse than Italy is exaggerating

I did not say it's worse. I said it might get there. Considering the number of cases, the growth and the lagging of tests, it very well might. Hopefully it won't, but you seem way too overconfident about this. The numbers are not looking good.

icecoast1

I did not say it's worse. I said it might get there. Considering the number of cases, the growth and the lagging of tests, it very well might. Hopefully it won't, but you seem way too overconfident about this. The numbers are not looking good.

New York is doing almost 20 times the # of tests they were doing a few days ago, nearly double the next closest state and roughly 25 percent of the current testing in the Country which is a large factor in the rapid growth. If other states were doing the same amount of testing per capita as New York, you'd see some pretty large growth elsewhere too. The rate of hospitalization has dropped from over 20 to 13 as well as more testing is done as well, it's not all doom and gloom and headed for italy as some think it is.

skiur

What ever Cramer says I always vote for the opposite :)

Don't understand why we just don't let people determine for themselves whether or not they want to shut their businesses down, stay home, etc? If a restaurant is still open, I can deem it as a high risk location and subsequently avoid it. I can self ban. People have worked too hard to have their livelihoods upended like this. I’m not diminishing the virus. However, I cannot abide by this wild govt overreach.

It’s a modern version of fdr’s internment of Japanese Americans. Only this time, people are being interned to their homes.

And there is the problem, to many morons that think like you. If we just let them go as they feel this will never end and the economy will be really fucked. Let's buckle down now and get this thing in the rear view mirror as quick as we can and that requires people to stay home which you just proved they won't do unless forced too.

icecoast1

And there is the problem, to many morons that think like you. If we just let them go as they feel this will never end and the economy will be really fucked. Let's buckle down now and get this thing in the rear view mirror as quick as we can and that requires people to stay home which you just proved they won't do unless forced too.

It doesnt have to require "All" people to stay home. Hopefully these 15 days are being used to come up with a system to allow certain people and certain parts of the country to function aside from only those deemed "essential", before we start doing serious irreversible damage

flakeydog

Why can't people determine for themselves whether or not they want to shut their businesses down, stay home, etc?

If a restaurant is still open, why can't I and others deem it as a high risk location and subsequently avoid it?

Why can't we self ban?

Again I am not diminishing this virus but why should we abide by yet another example of govt overreach authority?

Because you get a dumb-ass out there like Rand Paul that decides that he wants to gallivant around town while awaiting the results of his Covid-19 test. Why not have a few meetings, go to the gym, test out the sneeze guards at the local the Golden Corral, stuff like that. No big deal, right? Remember the douche-bag that hopped on his JetBlue flight only to find out he was positive when he arrived? Unfortunately when its clear you can't trust people to look beyond their own self interest, you have to take steps. It only takes a few assholes to ruin it for the rest of us.

snoseek

Instead of giving some anal-alysis, why not take part in the discussion and and explain ...

Why can't people determine for themselves whether or not they want to shut their businesses down, stay home, etc?

If a restaurant is still open, why can't I and others deem it as a high risk location and subsequently avoid it?

Why can't we self ban?

Again I am not diminishing this virus but why should we abide by yet another example of govt overreach authority?

Because that's not for the better of society.

BenedictGomez

New York is doing almost 20 times the # of tests they were doing a few days ago, nearly double the next closest state and roughly 25 percent of the current testing in the Country which is a large factor in the rapid growth. If other states were doing the same amount of testing per capita as New York, you'd see some pretty large growth elsewhere too. The rate of hospitalization has dropped from over 20 to 13 as well as more testing is done as well, it's not all doom and gloom and headed for italy as some think it is.

THIS.

It's bad, but it's not Italy. People dont undertand you cant simply compare populations in 1v1 fashion.

Things Italy has working against it that America doesn't.

1) Second oldest population on planet earth (HELLO!!!!! This is kind of a big deal)
2) Smoking rate almost twice that of America
3) Their healthcare system is a train-wreck compared to America
4) They didn't take coronavirus seriously until they were way past where we are now
5) Relatively few people get the flu vaccine = higher inpatient rates

And more.....

TyWebb

Lol ok!

You don't realize what is happening right now and these state govts need to put a stop to it immediately. If this goes on much longer people will lose their life savings, many businesses will be gone and not come back, etc. From your local barbershop, local restaurants, mom and pop's to larger corporations. Commercial landlords are toast, many centers will fail, supply chains are going to be very hard to restart smoothly. The analogies the media is making to prior recessions are bs. This is a car accident, not a flat tire. The economy went from full speed to stopped in 2 weeks. That’s kills businesses just like car accidents kill people. And businesses are so interconnected the contagion will be like a virus, but faster and worse thn the current medical virus.

The big picture policy types who do the math will be swinging from trees when society figures out just how wrong they were.

icecoast1

Because you get a dumb-ass out there like Rand Paul that decides that he wants to gallivant around town while awaiting the results of his Covid-19 test. Why not have a few meetings, go to the gym, test out the sneeze guards at the local the Golden Corral, stuff like that. No big deal, right? Remember the douche-bag that hopped on his JetBlue flight only to find out he was positive when he arrived? Unfortunately when its clear you can't trust people to look beyond their own self interest, you have to take steps. It only takes a few assholes to ruin it for the rest of us.

The ironic thing here is that if we took a more selective approach to who was quarantined and who wasnt, Rand Paul would probably meet the criteria of somebody who should stay isolated seeing as he has an underlying condition:grin:

fbrissette

Another one of today's Democrat attachments to the bill:

THIS IS NOT FROM AN ONION ARTICLE

Airline passengers on US flights must be informed that Greenhouse gases are bad for the planet, as well as forcing the airlines to buy 100% carbon offsets.

https://twitter.com/rachelbovard/status/1242131193069547522/photo/1

If true. this is completely moronic. I doubt this is the reason there are still no deal in place however. One side it using this to make the other side look bad. Which the other side could have easily avoided by not putting this crap in the text in the first place.

US politics are broken (and both sides are to blame).

BenedictGomez

If true. this is completely moronic. I doubt this is the reason there are still no deal in place however.

It is true (I linked to text from the bill), and it is 100% why there is no deal.

These are last minute additions to a bipartisan plan Democrats & Republicans had worked on all week long.

Democrats thought they could add all these left-wing goodies last minute & Republicans would feel so much political pressure that they'd be forced to vote for it anyway.

And dont FORGET diversity initiatives!

I hear the coronavirus can be eradicated by hiring more minorities.
Covidnonsense.jpg

Last edited:

EPB

Airline passengers on US flights must be informed that Greenhouse gases are bad for the planet, as well as forcing the airlines to buy 100% carbon offsets.

Haha. I get bring tempted to use leverage when you know your votes are needed, but this is just strange.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.