• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski area bankruptcies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbrissette

THIS.

It's bad, but it's not Italy. People dont undertand you cant simply compare populations in 1v1 fashion.

Things Italy has working against it that America doesn't.

1) Second oldest population on planet earth (HELLO!!!!! This is kind of a big deal)
2) Smoking rate almost twice that of America
3) Their healthcare system is a train-wreck compared to America
4) They didn't take coronavirus seriously until they were way past where we are now
5) Relatively few people get the flu vaccine = higher inpatient rates

And more.....

1- true
2- I'm surprised it's only twice
3- This is false. Italy ranks very highly (and ahead of the US) on most health care systems rankings. Life expectancy testifies to that (not the only factor) being top 5 in the world (US not even in the top 30). Take into account the large percentage of uninsured people in the US, and the obesity rates and you have additional problems.
4- From what I have seen, the US response pretty much follows the same scenario as Italy. Don't forget POTUS spent several weeks spreading disinformation which cost the US response dearly.
5- no clue, and not sure how this relates to the problem at hand, since healthcare systems capacity are designed to handle the flu.

BenedictGomez

Coronavirus can only be eliminated once all 50 of these United States permit early voting in all Federal elections!!!!!

Meanwhile, thousands of Americans are losing their jobs today.

Covidnonsense.jpg

BenedictGomez

The virus also agrees only to stop plaguing us once people in all 50 states can walk up to a table on election day & instantly register to vote!

Covidnonsense.jpg

icecoast1

Yep, if you're to use your leverage, use it at least for something that actually makes sense.

At a time when millions are suffering and depending on the aid in the bill that was already bi partisanly negotiated. Absolutely brilliant

BenedictGomez

At a time when millions are suffering and depending on the aid in the bill that was already bi partisanly negotiated. Absolutely brilliant

It's actually worse than that; Democrats played a huge part in crafting the bill, so Republicans thought this was a done deal.

This got sprung on the GOP last minute when they thought it would pass.

You KNOW the media isnt going to point out any of the BS I'm sharing here, they'll just parrot whatever the Democrat talking point is to make it look like "Republicans wont pass the bill" - just wait for it.

BenedictGomez

ROFL.

There's a section on bailing out the United States Post Office, and a section on saving community newspapers, but I'll spare everyone the details.

p_levert

I dunno about greenhouse gas statements, but if we give something to the airlines, we should get something in return. I think I would put in a regulation on minimum seat pitch and limit fees to check baggage (maybe max of $10 to check a bag). Also, require a thorough cleaning of the plane after *every* flight, not just at night. We all get treated like sh*t by the airlines, let's fix a few things.

icecoast1

I dunno about greenhouse gas statements, but if we give something to the airlines, we should get something in return. I think I would put in a regulation on minimum seat pitch and limit fees to check baggage (maybe max of $10 to check a bag). Also, require a thorough cleaning of the plane after *every* flight, not just at night. We all get treated like sh*t by the airlines, let's fix a few things.

and all of that will just lead to an increase in fares due to less passengers, less flights, more staff etc. We don't need that much regulation

1dog

It is true (I linked to text from the bill), and it is 100% why there is no deal.

These are last minute additions to a bipartisan plan Democrats & Republicans had worked on all week long.

Democrats thought they could add all these left-wing goodies last minute & Republicans would feel so much political pressure that they'd be forced to vote for it anyway.

And dont FORGET diversity initiatives!

I hear the coronavirus can be eradicated by hiring more minorities.
Covidnonsense.jpg

That's amazing BG but really not surprising using the theme ' never let a crisis go to waste'.

Any thoughts that the WHO is objective - um no, no they're not: https://www.cfr.org/blog/who-and-china-dereliction-duty

As for politics in the US - fanning the flames of leftist control is nothing new, its just now out in the open. Even some on the 'right' have adopted these ideas . . . .

Every 2 years we get the make the change - and we started with 1994 then 2010 then 2016 - '18 was change, but moreso because 52 Republicans retired.

When it doesn't work - its voters fault - we all hate Congress - except 'our guy' who brings home the bacon.

Once we remove separate benefits ( retirement and healthcare funding and protections from them (and stock selling protections), they might actually do something.

EPB

Any deal with the airline industry should really be focused on what matters - keeping companies afloat and ready to ramp back up as soon as practicable. It's probably going to be a big enough effort on it's own without any added extracurriculars.

Practically speaking, I'd love cleaner planes, though.

The consumer would ultimately bear the brunt of these changes:
-Extra time cleaning means either longer turnaround times, more employees to pay to handle more cleaning, or both.
-Minimum pitch per seat would necessarily lower the number of passengers that can fit on a plane in cases where airlines are below the minimum.
-Changing the bag check rules just means the airlines will charge you more elsewhere. I actually kinda like the current model because it allows you to save if you're not checking a bag. Agree with the sentiment that they can make purchase decisions more of a hassle though.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

New York is doing almost 20 times the # of tests they were doing a few days ago, nearly double the next closest state and roughly 25 percent of the current testing in the Country which is a large factor in the rapid growth. If other states were doing the same amount of testing per capita as New York, you'd see some pretty large growth elsewhere too. The rate of hospitalization has dropped from over 20 to 13 as well as more testing is done as well, it's not all doom and gloom and headed for italy as some think it is.

Wish people stop believing what we don't know.
I am sure it part reasons why people are still not touching stuff
Working in retail without protection
My friend on facecrap in Vermont doing inventory at store

Yes young 1 can get to.

Kayla Dougherty, a 20-year-old NJ college student, was one of many young people who didn't take the novel coronavirus seriously. Now, after testing positive for COVID-19 and experiencing the symptoms, she has a warning for her peers. http://4.nbcny.com/R49mirT

p_levert

and all of that will just lead to an increase in fares due to less passengers, less flights, more staff etc. We don't need that much regulation

Airline travel has become degrading and stressful. And it's unhealthy. It's ok to pay more.

BenedictGomez

The consumer would ultimately bear the brunt of these changes:
-Extra time cleaning means either longer turnaround times, more employees to pay to handle more cleaning, or both.
-Minimum pitch per seat would necessarily lower the number of passengers that can fit on a plane in cases where airlines are below the minimum.
-Changing the bag check rules just means the airlines will charge you more elsewhere. I actually kinda like the current model because it allows you to save if you're not checking a bag. Agree with the sentiment that they can make purchase decisions more of a hassle though.

- Forcing them to pay for carbon offsets for every mile they fly

These people are ****** insane.

fbrissette

- Forcing them to pay for carbon offsets for every mile they fly

These people are ****** insane.

This is off topic but carbon offset is an environmental tax, like the many others we have. Should if be in the COVID-19 relief bill ? Of course not. But the idea is not insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.