Ski area bankruptcies

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Ski area bankruptcies

I’m going to just say it.

Our economy is fucked.

Look for lots of ski area bankruptcies in the coming months. Some won’t even make it through the summer.

I'm curious, which ski areas operated this year that will not operate next?
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

What? Why? Because they lost a week or two at the end of the season where the majority of their customers would have been season pass holders anyway?

The only issue I see is if next season people are strapped for cash and they suffer a loss of business then. But I don't see why anyone will not be open for next season.
    Dude.

Many areas had very early openings- Hunter and Blue opened well before Thanksgiving (Blue 4 to 5 weeks earlier than usual)- then they lost two or three weeks on the back end. So they got about the same length ski season as usual but it just shifted earlier. Plus, the major holiday periods they rely on weren't busts. I'd be surprised to see any well managed area go under due to the early closings.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-...cgu-story.html
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Season pass sales are going to crater.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Season pass sales are going to crater.
    That's true but isn't it the big consortiums that rely more on season pass sales?
    Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post

Look for lots of ski area bankruptcies in the coming months. Some won’t even make it through the summer.
    I'll take the UNDER.

If this had to happen, it happened at a relatively decent time versus the cyclical nature of ski industry revenue. If this causes someone to go Chapter 11 in July, they probably would have gone belly-up in a year or two anyway.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Grandpa escaped the nazis in Krakow and skiied until he was 98, died two years later. Dad broke his leg in hillmans and hiked out, still limps today 50 years later. Talked to dad yesterday, he was just home from market basket and wanted to know if I was bringing beers this weekend. We will all ski next year and are due a good year.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Use your TrumpBucks (tm) to support your local hill. If you're too 'rich' to receive any TrumpBucks (tm), you should have some shekels lying around. Use those to support your local hill.
    Last edited by NY DirtBag; Mar 20, 2020 at 3:27 AM.

I’m shocked that people are so optimistic. Within a week or so nearly every state will be under a stay-home mandate. The economic fallout of this is going to be unlike anything we have ever seen. The service sector is going to experience massive layoffs, which will have a domino effect.

Thread Information