Ski area bankruptcies - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Money can be replaced people can't . Frankly there's a lot of overreaction on both sides. This whole mess started because an all powerful government wanted to save face by silencing anyone who would bring attention to the virus outbreak , look where that got them . This should have been contained in the beginning . A good lesson for those who want a government answer to everything .

In this situation on our part government and business must work together to get us out of this Fubar situation . Getting capital in the hands of small businesses capital and low income individuals money will go along way to return things the IRS has your address . Until then chill and spend family time .

South Korea managed to contain their outbreak without shutting the whole country down and devolving into a state of lunacy and panic. We could have taken a much different route instead of the one we were on which will cause irreversible damage for years to come. Many businesses are just going to go out of business. The idea of just shutting things down for months, snapping your fingers and making it all come back is a fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    My thought exactly. Tell the vulnerable to hunker down, deliver them food and supplies, and let everyone get sick and then get better.
    In theory I agree too, but I'm not 60 and quite frankly if I were, I'm not sure how I'd feel about being locked in my home purely because of age.

Also....

If we establish bug out criteria for when we lock the old folks up, what happens if (heaven forbid) another Polio type pandemic happens when children are most at risk? Guess you need criteria for that. And if both those criteria (read: laws) are established, well there is sure to be a really "Oh Sit!" law where we all have to quarantine.

This is a much more complex societal problem to plan for and fix than just saying, "Coronavirus? Bring it on! Sorry Grandpa, you have to take another staycation. Wink, wink."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    South Korea managed to contain their outbreak without shutting the whole country down and devolving into a state of lunacy and panic. We could have taken a much different route instead of the one we were on which will cause irreversible damage for years to come. Many businesses are just going to go out of business. The idea of just shutting things down for months, snapping your fingers and making it all come back is a fantasy
    This isn't SK.

They *did* shut most of the country down too, they just did it much more orderly than here.
    Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    This isn't SK.

They *did* shut most of the country down too, they just did it much more orderly than here.
    Not to the extent we are seeing in parts of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    All well and good but it's not just 60+ year olds who are dying. We just had a 52 year old die yesterday in Massachusetts so ageism doesn't necessarily work in this case. Yes they are more vulnerable but there are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Most of the people under 60 that are dying from it have pre existing conditions. If you're not old and dont already have underlying health issues, the chances of dying from this are incredibly small

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I think if we just quarantined everyone over 60, we could have saved lives & saved the economy.
    Hate to tell you but us 60+ old geezers also control most of the $$ in this country so that ain't happening.

And you know full well that healthy 60+ folks aren't really in any more danger than 40-50 year olds. Our problem in this country is an extraordinary percentage of people of all ages in poor health in many cases by choice.

Do I think the current path we are going down is an overreaction? Yes! But that's probably because I'm not worried about dying even if I get it. This is a political reaction to the fact that nobody can afford the political fallout from folks dropping dead in the streets. And that goes for both sides of the aisle. This is a calamity born from a perfect storm of poor choices on many fronts. A total clusterfuck!!

So hunker down and hope you come out whole when it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    In theory I agree too, but I'm not 60 and quite frankly if I were, I'm not sure how I'd feel about being locked in my home purely because of age.
    As opposed to "locking" everyone in America from infant to 104 years old a home? I've been out of the house 3 times in 11 days. The economic destruction being wrought is devastating. Literally tens-of-millions of new unemployment claims filed. How many will die from that? DOW futures are down almost 800 points as I type this as Schumer & Pelosi nixed the "bipartisan plan" to get more goodies. This is a financial bloodbath and those "over 60" are losing their retirement funds.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    And you know full well that healthy 60+ folks aren't really in any more danger than 40-50 year olds. Our problem in this country is an extraordinary percentage of people of all ages in poor health in many cases by choice.
    This is not true. A healthy 40 year or healthy 50 year old is more likely to do better with COVID19 than a healthy 60+ year old, because immunological response deteriorates with age. This is KEY in this situation. You are right about comorbidities though, that is also key in the death rate with this virus.

EDIT: May as well share the South Korean data since I track it every day.

Fatality rates:
    40-49: 0.08% (slightly less than common influenza's overall rate)
    50-59: 0.41%
    60-69: 1.58%
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:08 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    As opposed to "locking" everyone in America from infant to 104 years old a home? I've been out of the house 3 times in 11 days. The economic destruction being wrought is devastating. Literally tens-of-millions of new unemployment claims filed. How many will die from that? DOW futures are down almost 800 points as I type this as Schumer & Pelosi nixed the "bipartisan plan" to get more goodies. This is a financial bloodbath and those "over 60" are losing their retirement funds.
    Thanks

Most everybody with a functioning brain knows we are in for world of hurt and this economic pause needs to end as soon as possible.

It's really the second part of my post that is most important. If social distancing is the new normal when facing a pandemic, what are the standards (laws) going to be? When do we tell Grandpa to stay home? When do we hold our kids home. When is it so bad we have to go nuclear and have everyone stay home?

Our response to this has been basically flying by the seat of our pants.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information