• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail considering cutting back on announced improvements- beginning of the end for VR?

fbrissette

Actually they said 1.3 million tests have been run but a lot of labs run 2 tests per subject so the number tested could be well below 1.3.
Also at this point how many people who have tested positive have shown no symptoms what so ever. All I am saying is we don't know how many people may have had it and didn't know and/or never got tested.

Don't worry. Jared is now in charge. Everything will be solved in no time.

fbrissette

It’s a testament to how subservient Canada is that a Canadian would (a) know this; and (b) care enough about it to mention it.

Canadian politics are boring, just like our prime minister. US politics are fascinating. The same guy with no credentials who was put in charge of Middle-East peace in now in charge of the Coronavirus response. You can't make this up, Aren't you a little bit afraid ?

icecoast1

Aren't you a little bit afraid ?

Nope. Hes got top medical experts like Fauci and Birx among others running things. We'll be fine. I'm more worried about the long lasting economic damage that might happen if this thing goes on for months at this point than I am about the virus

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Canadian politics are boring, just like our prime minister. US politics are fascinating. The same guy with no credentials who was put in charge of Middle-East peace in now in charge of the Coronavirus response. You can't make this up, Aren't you a little bit afraid ?

Oh, your politics are interesting. Your Prime Minister is a huge fan of blackface, after all.

BenedictGomez

Actually they said 1.3 million tests have been run but a lot of labs run 2 tests per subject so the number tested could be well below 1.3.
Also at this point how many people who have tested positive have shown no symptoms what so ever. All I am saying is we don't know how many people may have had it and didn't know and/or never got tested.

It's a huge number, somewhere between 33% (Italian study) & almost 50% (Diamond Princess study) depending upon the study. Nevertheless, even if you go with 50% you cant get to 20% already having it.

machski

We'll all have to wait another year to ride the Kanc8 at Loon. Boyne is postponing that install and the Swift Current 6 at Big Sky due to concerns they may not be able to finish the lifts this season on a compressed timeline. SK stated both locations would be hurt with no lift in the current alignments worse than waiting. In the case of Swifty's replacement, the lift build in Austria is almost complete and will be shipped and stored somewhere in the US for next season (SK mentioned it is already Boyne owned). No word on if the same will be true for the Kanc8.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Unless your balance sheet is bulletproof, it would be irresponsible to spend many millions of dollars on multiple lift installs right now in this climate of financial uncertainty.

darent

I agree! These doom and gloom threads in light of the times are pointless! Those who want to see Vail crash or hate the mega pass idea put their spin as to why it will fail.

We are in a state that the all current generations (minus a few from the Great Depression) have never seen. Predicting anything at this time is also pointless. I do agree the Q3 and Q4 will be huge rebuilding periods going into 2021. Sad thing - the SMALLER business may not have the ability to recover- larger businesses will scale back for now, capture some stimulus funds and new opportunities will surface.

These threads are pessimists vs optimists! Then again aren’t they all!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I'll take these conditions any day over the year I spent in Vietnam, some of my generation have seen a lot worse!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
We'll all have to wait another year to ride the Kanc8 at Loon. Boyne is postponing that install and the Swift Current 6 at Big Sky due to concerns they may not be able to finish the lifts this season on a compressed timeline. SK stated both locations would be hurt with no lift in the current alignments worse than waiting. In the case of Swifty's replacement, the lift build in Austria is almost complete and will be shipped and stored somewhere in the US for next season (SK mentioned it is already Boyne owned). No word on if the same will be true for the Kanc8.

Was going to say that Boyne is postponing their work as well....based on $22 million in lost revenue due to closing early (!)

NYDB

Isn't it amazing? We are basically a banana republic. The guy is put in charge because he is banging the presidents daughter. Literally no other credentials. I think he's in charge of the opiod crisis as well.

Everyone on the R side is fine with it though. It is amusing to see how many things can be justified when its your team. Totally fine. Its the culmination of years of expertise and science bashing from the repubs. Anyone can be an expert now. expertise is overrated anyway. what could go wrong? ohhhh wait......

Not surprising. So where does this leave the "2030 Plan" for Sunday River and Sugarloaf......2035?:???:

machski

Was going to say that Boyne is postponing their work as well....based on $22 million in lost revenue due to closing early (!)
Sorry trailboss, not why Boyne is delaying the lift installs. It is because they are concerned if they take Swifty and Kanc down to do the installs, construction could get stopped by a new flare up of the virus. Swifty is almost completely fabricated and will be shipped to the US, probably to sit in containers at Big Sky through this coming winter. SK stated he hates to see a new lift that Boyne already owns just sitting and not installed. But no Swifty at all is too big a risk to go ahead this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sorry trailboss, not why Boyne is delaying the lift installs. It is because they are concerned if they take Swifty and Kanc down to do the installs, construction could get stopped by a new flare up of the virus. Swifty is almost completely fabricated and will be shipped to the US, probably to sit in containers at Big Sky through this coming winter. SK stated he hates to see a new lift that Boyne already owns just sitting and not installed. But no Swifty at all is too big a risk to go ahead this summer.

That’s true, but I think losing $22 mill due to the same issue (Covid19) also slows things down....

https://liftblog.com/2020/04/03/big-sky-and-loon-mountain-postpone-lift-projects-to-2021/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

skiur

Yeah, losing 22 million had nothing to do with it! It has to be true cause it's what they said!!

jimk

Isn't it amazing? We are basically a banana republic. The guy is put in charge because he is banging the presidents daughter. Literally no other credentials. I think he's in charge of the opiod crisis as well.

Everyone on the R side is fine with it though. It is amusing to see how many things can be justified when its your team. Totally fine. Its the culmination of years of expertise and science bashing from the repubs. Anyone can be an expert now. expertise is overrated anyway. what could go wrong? ohhhh wait......

Riddle me this, before covid I would have said Trump was a shoe-in for re-election, now I'm far less sure.

And just to keep this post about skiing there's this:-D
trump and kushner.jpg