• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail considering cutting back on announced improvements- beginning of the end for VR?

abc

The early read on this thread is pretty funny.... lol
Totally!

Even better, read the early posts of the many threads during the initial shutdown last March, you'll be able to identify those self-proclaimed "expert" in whatever the fashionable topic at the time (some changed their "field of expertise" overnight following the fashion too) and recall what they CONFIDENTLY PREDICT back then vs. reality now!

Comedy gold! :) :) :)

dblskifanatic

Having lived in Colorado for the past 5 years, I have seen this type pf start three times. The weather pattern in August/September/October this year and last year were very dry. October and November are traditionally low snow months historically speaking. 2018 was a whole other story. December generally sees and increase in snowfall then January is often very boring the big months have been February into April and May has ushered in some nice numbers every year we were there.

In fact, ot show how bad it was last year, much of the upper terrain at Breck and East Wall at A Basin were not open until late into the season. In fact, East Wall barely opened before Covid hit. One of the huge differences out west is snow accumulation stays and builds unlike here where it snows then rains and then freezes and then snows - rinse and repeat.

So there may be low accumulation but when it comes, things open up fast in Colorado. The conditions last year were always good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We are still very, very early in the season. If we were in this position after MLK Weekend then I might agree.

raisingarizona

One prediction about vail unloading the less than desirable properties was definitely not recognizing the value to vail having feeder hills. It’s not about those areas alone but more in getting people near metro areas to spend vacations at the larger resorts.

cdskier

Thinking no more then 6 months but...
That would be my guess as well...but a lot depends on both vaccine availability and how willing people are to get the vaccine. If you get a lot of people avoiding getting it, then that would potentially lengthen how long the pandemic goes on.

Smellytele

That would be my guess as well...but a lot depends on both vaccine availability and how willing people are to get the vaccine. If you get a lot of people avoiding getting it, then that would potentially lengthen how long the pandemic goes on.
I know this sounds cold and wouldn't happen but...

If you refuse to get the vaccine after 6 months then you should be left to die of stupidity unless there is a medical reason you can't get it.

On the other hand if people are dying from the vaccine that would be another whole story.

raisingarizona

I don’t think we are going know it’s effectiveness or how safe it is until a good while after it goes public

raisingarizona

I know this sounds cold and wouldn't happen but...

If you refuse to get the vaccine after 6 months then you should be left to die of stupidity unless there is a medical reason you can't get it.

On the other hand if people are dying from the vaccine that would be another whole story.
You must have a lot of faith in big pharma and government

thetrailboss

Staff member
Getting back to the OP, looks like Vail has announced part of what they plan to do:

snoseek

Getting back to the OP, looks like Vail has announced part of what they plan to do:

Had to check real quick and the Attitash triple lives another year.

abc

Government not so much...big pharma, yes (although I may be a bit biased there).
Same here. No connection to pharma though.

I'm glad others said it so I don't have to. But those who REFUSE to take the vaccine, they're free to get Covid. And those who fear the vaccine more than Covid, they're free to die. Or to have a lung so scarred by Covid they won't be skiing, more slopes for the rest of us.

This is a free country. Free to die too.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

It would be pretty pathetic if that's all they do across their entire portfolio. But I give them grace for this being a pandemic year. It'll be interesting what else they announce in March, if anything.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It would be pretty pathetic if that's all they do across their entire portfolio. But I give them grace for this being a pandemic year. It'll be interesting what else they announce in March, if anything.
The release implies more is to come.