• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail considering cutting back on announced improvements- beginning of the end for VR?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Well the northeast properties Vail owns are going to be on life-support through the holiday week.

No one is having a great year elsewhere-

Northstar- 73% open (pretty damn good...but no tourists due to Lake Tahoe restrictions)
Vail- 60% open (not bad, around average from my understanding)
Crested Butte- 53% open
Keystone- 46% open
Breck- 28% open
Park City- 14% open

Whistler is having a good year but without Americans flying in it defeats the purpose of advertising a "weather-proof" season pass.

Maybe Mother Nature just hates Vail as much as this forum lol. Ikon has places in the PNE and Jackson Hole which are doing quite well this year. I lurk on Pugski they're getting as restless as we are, lol.

abc

This maybe just another poor snow year like a couple years back (2018?). Of course, on top of Covid, it would be a sucker punch.

For the northeast, it's still too early to say anything about the season. I remember several years when the snow didn't come till February! Strangely, the mountains weren't crowded even when the snow came!

Though this year might be different. So many people have season pass, they'll all want to get their fair number of days out of it. So if it's a poor snow year, there's no way around the crowded mountains. We shall see.

kingslug

If last year is any indication of crowding..this year will be worse. Even a hint of snow brought out the hordes..1 hour lines at Stowe. Skiing will never be the same. Epic has taken on a new meaning :(