• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2020

deadheadskier

Staff member
New (to me) boat as of today. Have a few things to do before getting her in the water, but my access just greatly improved.

Don't see a ton of fishing this summer with a 17 month old daughter. Mainly just cruising. But, hopefully snag a few days with the five year old checking out some lakes we've never been on. New to boating, so sticking to the freshwater first season. Perhaps next year we get it out in the salt for some stripers. 00i0i_9r9AthNwfXb_1200x900.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Nice boat.

Looks like you could do some waterskiing if the fish aren't biting.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks. It does have a ski pylon I can put in. The 135HP engine gets it out of the hole pretty quick.

I was going to wait a couple more years before buying one, but with lots of normal activities in question for this summer and a desire to avoid crowds, I said screw it and went for it. We will social distance on the water. No shortage of large lakes within an hour to explore.

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks. It does have a ski pylon I can put in. The 135HP engine gets it out of the hole pretty quick.

I was going to wait a couple more years before buying one, but with lots of normal activities in question for this summer and a desire to avoid crowds, I said screw it and went for it. We will social distance on the water. No shortage of large lakes within an hour to explore.

A rowboat is far less luxurious but useful for the same reason. Just bought a new pair of waders to replace my suddenly very leaky neoprene pair. But I'm really angling to buy a pedal kayak for bass and laker fishing in Sylvan lake about 5 min from my house:

predator.jpg
It was on my list last year but other expenses intervened. I think it's gonna happen this year.

Sylvan Lake, used be a great party spot in high school. Big quarry next to it also.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
New (to me) boat as of today. Have a few things to do before getting her in the water, but my access just greatly improved.

Don't see a ton of fishing this summer with a 17 month old daughter. Mainly just cruising. But, hopefully snag a few days with the five year old checking out some lakes we've never been on. New to boating, so sticking to the freshwater first season. Perhaps next year we get it out in the salt for some stripers. View attachment 26828

Nice looking boat Ryan...watch out for floating logs on the lake! When your ready for salt water bring it down to LI and we'll have some fun great beaches to bring it to ad well.
20180729_134433.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks Dave!

I'll definitely want to get a Bimini like you have there. That was the one thing I wanted that was missing from the package, but not enough for me to pass on it. Will be awhile unfortunately. Key West dealer says they're so far behind because of the virus that they aren't fulfilling accessory orders right now. The one local place I checked with that builds them custom is backed up until August.

So, I spent a small fortune on sunscreen at Amazon instead. lol

CastlerockMRV

A rowboat is far less luxurious but useful for the same reason. Just bought a new pair of waders to replace my suddenly very leaky neoprene pair. But I'm really angling to buy a pedal kayak for bass and laker fishing in Sylvan lake about 5 min from my house:

View attachment 26829
It was on my list last year but other expenses intervened. I think it's gonna happen this year.

I received guidance from work that we'll wither be working from home thru the end of the year or rotating in and out of the office so that only 10-15% of the workforce is in on a given day. Means that I'll be relocating to my families places on the Maine coast for the foreseeable future. Just picked up one of these to chase Stripers in the skinny water once they arrive...

2017_HD_BS_02-1024x683.jpg

Looking forward to getting the real boat in the water soon as well to chase all over the 7 Rivers region as soon they get here. The 20-inchers have arrived in force on Cape Cod so it's only a matter of time!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Thanks Dave!

I'll definitely want to get a Bimini like you have there. That was the one thing I wanted that was missing from the package, but not enough for me to pass on it. Will be awhile unfortunately. Key West dealer says they're so far behind because of the virus that they aren't fulfilling accessory orders right now. The one local place I checked with that builds them custom is backed up until August.

So, I spent a small fortune on sunscreen at Amazon instead. lol

Actually we really dont use it all that much but my wife is a sun freak. Nice to have though especially if it's very hot out and your not moving.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Got in another day of trout fishing at the East branch on Thursday. Water levels had dropped a bit and the stocked fish were out in force. After fishing deep water the first 2 hours and catching a few small browns I realized the big boys were asleep. So I switched to size 0 spinners and waded the shallower and faster moving riffles down near the Borden bridge. Wound up landing 10 or so stocked fish.

No pics, no big boys but a great day and fun as always.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Woke up to a dusting of snow here as well.

Figures, K could probably have stayed open into July at this pace.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The spring season would've been long for sure this year, but I'm not sure how good it would've been. Certainly would have been better than not skiing, but we've had so many cold and rainy days. The amount of great, sunny, bump skiing days would've been few and far between.

JimG.

Staff member
The spring season would've been long for sure this year, but I'm not sure how good it would've been. Certainly would have been better than not skiing, but we've had so many cold and rainy days. The amount of great, sunny, bump skiing days would've been few and far between.

Yeah I would have to agree.

JimG.

Staff member
Went up to Binghamton yesterday and hiked at Aqua Terra which used to be called Innsbruck USA; a NELSAP ski area. Really cool place.

Anyway I traveled 17 up and back. The Susquehanna river was flowing very high and muddy. The East Branch of the Delaware was also full but the water was running clear. I saw no less than 30 anglers all of them in kayaks. Not a single wader. Conditions in the Roscoe area were perfect for wading and the Beaverkill/Little Beaverkill/Willowemoc creek looked great. Stopped at Lew Beach but didn't fish. Lots of fishermen everywhere. Just scoping things out incidental to my trip up there may very well return this week to fish. Might go to the Esopus creek instead.

JimG.

Staff member
Got out on Fishkill creek yesterday for probably my last day of trout fishing until Fall. The time flew by but it has been 2 months since I wet my first line this season on 3/21. And it has been a good trout season. Some good fish and always much fun. In the past 15 years or so I have gotten in 2-3 days of trout fishing each year but my 8 days this spring (all because of the virus shutdown of skiing) and several nice trout landed got me re-dedicated to trout and I will do more stream fishing in the years to come.

For now, the trout have become more picky and I'm sure many of the stocked fish were caught once already. In 3 hours out I landed a total of 2 small browns. But I am always reminded that it's not all about the fish but also about being in nature. I'm grateful to live in such a beautiful location:

FC521202.jpg
FC521203.jpg
FC521201.jpg

Heading out on the reservoirs Saturday for a day in the boat. Let the bass fishing begin.

chuckstah

I left NH for the first time in over 2 months today to open up my summer cottage on Cape Cod. Strolled to the end of the street to a schoolies striper fest. 12-24 inch fish were hitting anything on the surface. To bad it wasn't me, as I didn't have equipment ready. Tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app