• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Whitey

Never been busier at work. I am with one of the package delivery giants and we are "essential". Volume is way up even though commercial work is down. Everyone ordering on line now. Delivering medical supplies and prescriptions is a good sized chunk of our business as is food stuff. So we gotta get that stuff to the people who need it.

It's been a weird time. Everyone is antsy about this stuff and there's no way to do what we do and maintain 6 ft social distance at all times. So I've spent a lot time having to calm down nervous people and somehow keep the operation running smoothly.

Wife and boys are home. Boys doing online school now. Wife working from home.

I am not sure why, but as a lot of others have said, even though I am not at home - I've drank a lot more beer in the last 2 weeks than I usually do. Maybe because it tastes good. . .

EPB

I've only left the house 3 times in the last 13 days (not counting walks on road & local parks). Getting a bit stir-crazy.

Good news is I was ahead of the masses on this & the cubbards are fully stocked. I even replaced the keg and bought a case of Dogfish Head 60 Minutes (which will last as I only allow myself 1 per session). Then NJ classified liquor stores as "essential", which is nuts, but hey at least I'm stocked-up. I've baked a few loaves of bread & made a few pounds of teriyaki jerky, etc...

I'm blessed to be able to do 100% of my job WFH, so I'm not losing any money. Other than in the stock market that is of course, which I've been spending my time picking up distressed dividend-paying names.
I asked a guy I work with who grew up in NJ if he thought NJ would shut liquor store s. His response spoke volumes "No. There would be riots."

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

TyWebb

Working from home though been very challenging.

Sonos system is getting a good workout

Been following markets and recently started purchasing on the dip days the past week or so

Drinking in the evening and been smoking a lot. Have been lucky when I need meats, pork or poultry hasn't been too much of a problem.

Edd

Because I’m on staycation this week, I’ve been day drinking after physical activity. Mimosa with a vodka shot in the am, afternoon IPAs and hard stuff before bed. Gonna pour a mimosa now.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I asked a guy I work with who grew up in NJ if he thought NJ would shut liquor store s. His response spoke volumes "No. There would be riots."

Some states have closed liquor stores & some states have left liquor stores open.

I genuinely believe the governors who've left liquor stores open are doing so solely on fear of voter backlash.

I've heard the, "well, if you're a serious alcoholic & cant get booze it can be a medical problem" withdrawal claim as a reason, but I don't buy that's the state's logic, and none of the "open" states have cited that.

TyWebb

Some states have closed liquor stores & some states have left liquor stores open.

I genuinely believe the governors who've left liquor stores open are doing so solely on fear of voter backlash.

I've heard the, "well, if you're a serious alcoholic & cant get booze" withdrawal claim, but I don't buy it, and none of the "open" states have cited that.
Gov Wolf shut down our state run liquor shops which is odd as govt rarely miss the opportunity to extort money from the private sector. Supermarkets who cary wine still selling until inventories run out, no more deliveries. Beer shops are still operating.

NYDB

I'm actually in the process of giving up booze this spring. I thought it would be a good time to put the stuff down and focus on personal fitness. I also thought it would be an easy time to quit. No restaurants, no dinner parties, no gatherings, no tv sports, in laws keeping a mostly social distance, been bike riding solo. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. My only trigger now would be cooking. A few glasses of wine while cooking is always enjoyable.

icecoast1

I've heard the, "well, if you're a serious alcoholic & cant get booze it can be a medical problem" withdrawal claim as a reason, but I don't buy that's the state's logic, and none of the "open" states have cited that.

I think they're also doing it so they can collect as many tax dollars as possible.

I do find it odd they are allowed to stay open though. Is liquor really essential?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
That's basically what happened in Denver yesterday when they tried to close liquor stores and dispensaries. The Mayor had to reverse course on the decision within hours

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/23/liquor-stores-dispensaries-closing-denver-shelter-in-place/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

I really believe it would freak people out if they did...prohibition wasnt really that long ago..and look at all the fun that caused...

cdskier

I'd argue it is quite "essential" in order to help people deal with the situation and keep them somewhat calmer. This may not be a PC response, but that's the way I see it. Then again, I also never let my alcohol/wine stock get anywhere near that low. Even with the situation we're in now I'm not drinking every day anyway.

snoseek

There's a whole lot of real deal drunks that could take up hospital beds or even croak if they cant get their daily handle. It's sad but reality.

icecoast1

I'd argue it is quite "essential" in order to help people deal with the situation and keep them somewhat calmer. This may not be a PC response, but that's the way I see it. Then again, I also never let my alcohol/wine stock get anywhere near that low. Even with the situation we're in now I'm not drinking every day anyway.

People still have access to alcohol in other forms, beer, wine, etc. even with the liquor stores closed if you are somebody that needs it to cope, unless states were to ban the sale of it which would be a whole separate issue and something not likely to happen

jimk

I've only left the house 3 times in the last 13 days (not counting walks on road & local parks)...

Nice thread idea!

Mar 11, Snowbird:
snowbird 11 mar 20.jpg

Mar 12, Brighton:
gary and karen3 brighton.jpg

Mar 13, Solitude:
solitude gang.jpg

Mar 14, took the day off as ski areas started closing by the dozens. Wife and I visited Lowes, Home Depot and a grocery store instead:-(

Mar 15, had a meeting scheduled with an official at Snowbird, but they announced closing at 930PM the night before and meeting cancelled.

Mar 16, deep into ski withdrawal. Worked around son's house.

Mar 17, snowshoeing with wife in Big Cottonwood Canyon:
bcc snowshoe2.jpg

Mar 18, 5.7 earthquake woke us in SLC at 7:10 AM, lots of small aftershocks during the day.

Mar 19, worked around house, probably a grocery run.

Mar 20, ditto. Usually take a daily dip in backyard hot tub for decontamination purposes:lol:
heughs hot tub view.jpg

continued...

Last edited:

cdskier

People still have access to alcohol in other forms, beer, wine, etc. even with the liquor stores closed if you are somebody that needs it to cope, unless states were to ban the sale of it which would be a whole separate issue and something not likely to happen

Actually in NJ even beer and wine can only be sold in liquor stores. They're not sold in grocery stores in NJ. So that's the perspective I'm speaking from.

jimk

Mar 21, two hour hike in nearby Heughs Canyon
FAMILY HEUGHS.jpg

Mar 22, visited Great Salt Lake State Park
great salt lake 22 mar 20.jpg

Mar 23, worked around house, took nice walk through neighborhood, lots of families out for a stroll. New bathroom fixtures and sink arrived as ordered from prior visit to Home Depot.

Mar 24, prepping for visit by plumber tomorrow for major bath and kitchen work. Hope to go out for a hike shortly.

Last edited:

icecoast1

Actually in NJ even beer and wine can only be sold in liquor stores. They're not sold in grocery stores in NJ. So that's the perspective I'm speaking from.

I can see why in your situation they are doing it, in New York, they are keeping liquor stores open but you can still by beer, wine, etc at grocery stores and gas stations so it wouldn't be essential for people to have access to alcohol