How about something different - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Actually in NJ even beer and wine can only be sold in liquor stores. They're not sold in grocery stores in NJ. So that's the perspective I'm speaking from.
    Not true, at least in Bergen county you can get beer wine and booze in the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Not true, at least in Bergen county you can get beer wine and booze in the supermarket.
    What? I've never heard that; how do they get away with it as AFAIK local laws cant trump state laws?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I live in Bergen county. Technically those stores have to have a liquor license and are considered full liquor stores (legally they usually have a separate entity actually "own" the liquor portion of the store as well. For example at Fairway in West Paterson and Paramus, it is "Fairway Wines & Spirits" for the liquor portion). So if there was a "closure" of liquor stores in NJ, it would apply to the ability of those stores to sell it as well most likely. Also few and far between in how many grocery stores in NJ have liquor stores inside. It is very limited compared to other states where virtually any grocery store can sell at least beer and/or wine. Other than the Fairway examples, I'm struggling to come up with many other grocery stores around me that even have liquor stores attached. The two closest Shop-Rites both have a "Shop-Rite Liquors" in the same strip-mall, but not within the grocery store itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I live in Bergen county. Technically those stores have to have a liquor license and are considered full liquor stores
    Ahhhh..... okay.... born & raised in Jersey so I kindof figured that was Fake News. lol

The Wegmans in Bridgewater is like that; it has a liquor license, and all the alcohol products are at one end of the store, which is "the liquor store".
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

They sell regular strength beer and various IPA's, etc. in Utah grocery stores now. This is something new in the last year, but beer only, no wine. On March 13, 2020 I went into a Utah state liquor store to get a bottle of white wine to drink with a home cooked salmon dinner my wife planned to make. There were 200 people in the checkout line! Fuhgeddaboudit.
    I went grocery shopping and came upon another state liquor store with a much smaller crowd and got my one bottle. That was the day I first noticed some panic behavior in the general public in Utah. Now most stores are just empty, although someone keeps sneaking into the grocery stores and grabs all the toilet paper

Utah seems to be a great place to live ...ive always wanted to move there..now more than ever...hiking around there would be a great way to spend days..
    Never been there in the summer..have to go when this is over...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Maine would have to shut down the entire state to close their liquor stores. Virtually anywhere in the state can have a liquor license.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Ahhhh..... okay.... born & raised in Jersey so I kindof figured that was Fake News. lol

The Wegmans in Bridgewater is like that; it has a liquor license, and all the alcohol products are at one end of the store, which is "the liquor store".
    Yea...sounds like how Fairway does it. I've been to that Wegmans for lunch, but never even realized it had a liquor store. Whole Foods in Paramus is another example I came up with "locally". They have a liquor store within the store (although they actually spread it out quite a bit in the store...bit surprising they can get away with it not being as contained as the other examples).

WFH starting today. (Had yesterday off) We'll probably split out time between CT and VT just to change our scenery.
    SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Utah seems to be a great place to live ...ive always wanted to move there..now more than ever...hiking around there would be a great way to spend days..
    Never been there in the summer..have to go when this is over...
    A few quick thoughts (trailboss could say a lot more than me) :
    every place has it's pros and cons. obviously good snow is a pretty big pro out here if you're a skier/boarder. a con out here is that it's dusty in the SLC suburbs, we're on the edge of a desert and the water from melting snow in the mtns is the only reason humans originally settled here. They have car wash joints all over the place.

i'm an average to light alcohol person, rarely drink hard liquor (had some schnapps last night that I usually save for apres-ski with friends) so I've never been bothered by any limitations on that stuff in Utah. Seems like restaurants have any alcohol I'd ever want. I've never attempted to go to a night club out here. Not even sure if they have them or what the alcohol rules are there?

the economy is good here now, but it can be more volatile than bigger cities like NYC, Boston, San Fran, LA, etc. They were hit pretty hard here by 2008 recession, while in Wash DC area we barely had a hiccup. But I'm retired on a pension, so economy's kind of moot for me. Produce is cheap and good here, some other groceries a little higher than back east.

if you're into lots of cultural stuff (plays, concerts, ballet, great museums, etc) that might be a con out here, but vegas has some of that and it's about 5 easy hours away. if you're into nature/outdoors that's a plus here. although nature is great in new England too, it's just different and new here if you're a lifelong east coaster like me.

housing is going up here, but still a third or half what it is in major east or west coast cities. one mil gets you a mansion with 100 mile view here, in Wash DC it gets you a midsize 75 year old fixer-upper enclosed by the same.

weather in SLC burbs is similar to wash dc except 50 degs feels like 60 out here and two days a week all winter you see people at Walmart in shorts and tshirts. it snows more than dc, but it usually melts quick and the airport is 10 miles out in the desert and almost never closed for bad weather/snow. In five years of frequent visits there was only one January where I noticed smog inversion for a lengthy period over the city. but it does happen.
    Last edited by jimk; Mar 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM.

Thread Information