• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Hawk

Anyone who has a Corian top is used to not placing anything hot on the top. Supposedly their product is good to 450f . I doubt for any length of time.

I used MDF 2 layers of 3/4” so it’s fairly solid. I’ve refinished a dining room table with bar coating ,after sanding of a couple years of kids abuse . Very soft stuff and a hot plate out of the microwave leaves a mark ,it also has strange odor that lingers for a year . So far haven’t had that with this product , seems pretty tough. I replaced my kitchen floor a couple of years ago and I’m thinking of using this product over my late 90’s Corian . If it doesn’t hold up I’m not out a lot of $
Ya I agree. Corian is also not a good product for kitchens. I like Quartz but it is so dam expensive. I thought it would do down in price but it hasn't. So the MDF was good? I didn't think of that. it is pretty dense.

cdskier

Anyone who has a Corian top is used to not placing anything hot on the top. Supposedly their product is good to 450f . I doubt for any length of time.

Yea...I was going to say I never place anything hot directly on my counters anyway. Both here in NJ and in VT my counters are not anything great that I would trust putting a hot pan on. Even if I had something that could hold up to the heat, I probably still would be so used to not doing it for all these years that I would still not do it.

kingslug

I buy cds because i want to physically own the album..same as records i buy. Then rip it to the computer and transfer to the mp3 players.
I have a 5 disc cd player in the basement for the main system and an old 80 cd player in the garage..although i have been using xm radio in the garage and all cars..it definately does not sound as good as cds or the mp3 players. I can hear a huge difference in the corvette which i put a high end stereo in...huge..

Bumpsis

I buy cds because i want to physically own the album..same as records i buy. Then rip it to the computer and transfer to the mp3 players.
I have a 5 disc cd player in the basement for the main system and an old 80 cd player in the garage..although i have been using xm radio in the garage and all cars..it definately does not sound as good as cds or the mp3 players. I can hear a huge difference in the corvette which i put a high end stereo in...huge..

Same here - I like the old fashion idea of my music being mine. I can rip a tracks off a CD, arrange them how I like it and put it on USB stick to be played in my car or my home system - digital version of a mixed tape.

As to quality of the playback, one thing that makes a big difference in MP3 file playback is the Digital to Analog converter (DAC) that is part of your playback system. I have a nice Yamaha CD player as part of my home system and the quality of a high bit MP3 file played through that box is just about as good as the original CD or a downloaded (bought) musical file.
If I play the same, good sounding MP3 track through a little MP3 player connected to my amp it sounds like crap.
Alas, I don't know enough DACs to know which are good or bad. Area of further learning for me when needed.

skiur

No need for CD's, I download music in wav format which is the format that CD's are on. This way the music is mine, I have CD quality version that I can compress down to mp3 if I want too. Agreed that most streaming music does not sound very good.

kingslug

Can play anything on this..loudly if i want but it echos through the house..

Attachments

• 20200325_152336.jpg
    20200325_152336.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200325_152353.jpg
    20200325_152353.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 130

Glenn

We have sonos in a few rooms..
Sound ok..pretty convenient for background music.

We've built up a decent Sonos system over the years. Great for having music around the entire house...and outside (hooked it up to an older receiver powering outdoor speakers). It's getting a lot of use during our work from home time.

Shredmonkey254

We have sonos in a few rooms..
Sound ok..pretty convenient for background music.

We have found that running sonos thru a dac (cambridge audio) into our amp (mark levinson) and speakers (b&w) sounds as good as cd’s (ayre) thru same amp and speakers.
The ability to listen to ANYTHING you want on the very easy to use app makes sonos the number one way to listen to and enjoy music.
My only beef with sonos is they are obsoleting older products, forcing upgrades over time.

Edd

I watch a lot of travel videos, with couples that spend their lives on the road. It’s fascinating to watch the various ways they’re dealing with the pandemic, depending on which country they were caught in and what their priorities are.

It’s so rare that a crisis isn’t localized; meaning, most people can ignore a tornado in Tennessee, or even a Tsunami in Japan, but nearly everyone has to take a bite of this particular shit sandwich.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone