• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Wow..we have a dining table like that. Looks like a ...BIG job.

Yes it's been a lot of work but spread out over 3yrs . I had to take a tree down and trim another. What went from a trim on the second ,turned into a take down after finding it had been struck by lightning and had a rotted section. I ripped the trunk into two haves with a chainsaw and hired a guy to transport the pieces to a sawmill. I ended up with 4 nice slabs and 7 other 16" X 12' pieces ,it cost me about $600.00 .

I don't have a lot of wood working equipment so to take out the warp I made a router sled and leveled it out . I got a bit to ambitious with the router the bit slipped and gouged 1/2" deep so I had to take off another 1/2" . I thought I got all the sander marks out but now I see stuff I missed. Just need to make some legs

There's a place in Southern VT somewhere east of Bennington that sells slabs ,I can't recall the town . I've been wanting to stop in and have a look but never seem to be able to convince my friends to stop.

mister moose

There's lots of live edge slabs on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace these days, I've seen listings in Western MA, the Hudson valley, and CT. Walnut, hemlock, oak, just about everything. Lots of youtube videos of colored epoxy fills with slabs, they must be popular.

20200303_200512 s.jpg
This is a coffee table I made. It's a 4 inch slab cut from one of several huge branches of a maple tree that fell on my parent's property. The center trunk was ~5 feet in diameter, and the entire center was rotted out, only the outer 6 inches was still there. I had it band sawn on site, then took it to a shop with big tools to get it planed after several years of drying. I did the cribbage board, the spalted drawer and the finish. I made one other table and still have 2 slabs.

20200303_200551 s.jpg

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Very nice !! How long ago did you build it ? Maple is my favorite wood . I like how it looks but it does yellow a bit over time ,I still like the appearance but not as much. I'm not sure if there any type of UV treatment type finish that prevents or slows the yellowing?

A bunch of years ago I went to a lumberyard and picked through piles to find curly pieces. Designed an elaborate entertainment center to fit my picture tube TV ,bought doors to match my kitchen. Had a cabinet maker friend build it . Then flat screens came out.... !#@#. Now I have a giant built in waste of space ......

mister moose

I built it sometime late 90's, so 23 years ago or so. I know what you mean about color change. It's actually 2 factors.

1) The finish. Many varnishes and polyurethanes yellow over time. Some more than others. I've worked with UV stabilized varnishes, but they yellow, Epiphanes gets deep amber. Some have played with 2 part poly, tough as nails, but if it fails it can come off in flaky bits and it too hard to sand out. Nasty isocyanates too.
2) The wood. The wood will age under the finish as well. Of the woods I've worked with, I see this the most pronounced in teak. Freshly sanded it is more chocolate, aged it gets reddish mahogany tones. Especially aggravating when doing repairs to teak, color match becomes impossible, fresh sanded next to aged. Plus fresh teak varies all over the palette, I've seen orange streaks in some. I've heard purple heart never stays purple.

I really like what I call flame grain in the near end of that table. That was a bonus when it got planed. The wood is slightly red when freshly sanded, much better than the plain white bowling alley kind of maple.

cdskier

Short Rib Lasagna Rolls tonight along with a Super Tuscan Wine and a Finger Lakes Merlot
98186323_4442352282456824_7324012081223565312_o.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg

And some classic fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil for an appetizer...
98920561_4442352129123506_149507704199577600_o.jpg

mister moose

Yum! Never heard of lasagna rolls. What balsamic are you using, I could use some recommendations.

cdskier

Yum! Never heard of lasagna rolls. What balsamic are you using, I could use some recommendations.

I've made a few different types of lasagna rolls in the past. This particular one is a Giada recipe (actually I think one of the other versions that I make is also a Giada recipe):
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/short-rib-lasagna-rolls-recipe-1924279

As for balsamic...it is a balsamic glaze. I've had several different brands over the years. This one happens to be Filippo Berio: http://filippoberio.com/products/balsamic-glaze/classic-balsamic-glaze/

snoseek

I feel like it's worth paying the extra money for the aged stuff. The older the more expensive. The glazes they sell are ok for some but there's all kind of added stuff including alot of sugar

kingslug

We now have a woodworking and food thread...
I've been working in the shop about 10 hours a day..building the shop and learning how to cut accurately. Took the vert out for a spin yesterday..nothing like going 35mph in a 165 mph car..but at least I put a good stereo in it. Have some sheetrock to hang and some saw horses to build. I have a list a mile long. Its amazing how much energy you have when you don't drink anything but water. Miss the beer though..

BenedictGomez

I feel like it's worth paying the extra money for the aged stuff. The older the more expensive. The glazes they sell are ok for some but there's all kind of added stuff including alot of sugar

I know you mean the properly aged by the producer stuff, but I've even found (accidentally) the taste improves in the home with an unopened bottle I had that sat for 2 or 3 years. It took on a slightly more viscous, and noticeably sweeter taste that was fantastic.

jimmywilson69

this thread is a 10000000000000 times better than the bickering and chest thumping threads that are active on the board. I've stopped reading them because they suck

smac75

Three long years I spend rebuilding this little vintage camper. It's FINALLY done and I have no where to take it :-( We like to camp up at Smuggler's Notch and all reservations through June have been cancelled. Hoping for the July4th weekend!

IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_3533.jpg

granite

Nice restoration, what do you pull it with? Would look good behind an old pick up truck.