• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

kingslug

Million times better than it was..
Now time for real woodworking

Attachments

• 20200613_185251.jpg
    20200613_185251.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200613_185300.jpg
    20200613_185300.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200613_185219.jpg
    20200613_185219.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200613_185323.jpg
    20200613_185323.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 53

kingslug

over 1500 sq feet though...and I need a permit. Once you want to join a ceiling to a wall they want to inspect the walls before ..looking for fire blocking, etc. Opens up a whole can of worms.
My wife likes a wood ceiling..so your doing a floor job ..upside down. OY

BenedictGomez

over 1500 sq feet though...and I need a permit. Once you want to join a ceiling to a wall they want to inspect the walls before ..looking for fire blocking, etc. Opens up a whole can of worms.
My wife likes a wood ceiling..so your doing a floor job ..upside down. OY

Does this mean you could build the walls 2" from the ceiling & not incur additional expenses?

kingslug

If you build any type of wall you need a permit. If you enclose the ceiling..you need a permit. Its all about the fire blocking. It prevents fire from traveling to the next floor..pretty much just 2x4 place in locations in the wall at cetain intervals.

kingslug

This would only be revealed if you sell thr house and they want it inspected and you don't have a co for what you did..or you have a fire..either way your screwed.

BenedictGomez

If you build any type of wall you need a permit. If you enclose the ceiling..you need a permit. Its all about the fire blocking. It prevents fire from traveling to the next floor..pretty much just 2x4 place in locations in the wall at cetain intervals.

I knew a girl in college who all the bedrooms in her house ended before the ceiling, which I thought was turbo-weird. And it wasn't a hovel, it was a typical American middle-class house. Occasionally while looking at houses on Redfin or Zillow I see this sort of thing as well, which seems extremely unappealing, so I was always curious if it was somehow cutting a cost.

kingslug

That is weird as it would not eliminate the need to follow code. A living space..is a living space. If something happened..They would be responsible regardless where the wall ended.
People do ..weird shit.

Last edited:

kingslug

I owned a co op years ago. Got on the board immediately and came home my first night to a huge fire. The fire stated in a small booster pump in the wall and shot up and out across 4 apartments. They had to rip the walls down to stop it...thus..my first lesson in fire blocking.

kingslug

And in other news..finished 1 bookcase..stained the basement stairs and redid the landing in laminate. Now have to replace my water booster pump with this...etc,etc,etc...actually liking working 3 days a week

Attachments

• bookcase 1.jpg
    bookcase 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 111
  • bookcase 2.jpg
    bookcase 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 114
  • bookcase 3.jpg
    bookcase 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 110
  • pump 1.jpg
    pump 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 115

kingslug

And now back to 5 days per week..And 1.5 hours in traffic home, but way better than the plague infested trains. Kind of liked the pandemic schedule. People are still afraid to come in though. My building is still empty. We were going to bring back 20 people to start..no one wants to come. NY real estate is going to change in a very big way. Yet..there is a a lot of construction going on all over. I was wondering about Hudson Yards. Apparently its 90% commercially leased. Wonder if that is going to change. Thats a lot of floor space. My wife's company sold their building and are moving to Jersey...shes lucky, can work from home 90%.

dblskifanatic

And now back to 5 days per week..And 1.5 hours in traffic home, but way better than the plague infested trains. Kind of liked the pandemic schedule. People are still afraid to come in though. My building is still empty. We were going to bring back 20 people to start..no one wants to come. NY real estate is going to change in a very big way. Yet..there is a a lot of construction going on all over. I was wondering about Hudson Yards. Apparently its 90% commercially leased. Wonder if that is going to change. Thats a lot of floor space. My wife's company sold their building and are moving to Jersey...shes lucky, can work from home 90%.

We returned to work full force over a month ago with a requirement of leave you desk wear a face mask. Most meetings are still conference calls and larger conference rooms have limits on how many can occupy. So far so good! Then again Colorado went into face mask mandate when entering public establishments.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone