• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Hawk

One of my absolute favorite things to make...Broccoli Rabe and sausage risotto along with a beautiful single vineyard Pinot Noir (I think this may be the first time I've ever used spicy sausage though).

View attachment 26820

So funny. That is a staple for us all the time. Some times we do it with pasta. Orecchiette or Gemmelli. I am finding that you are I have very similar tastes although I am not a NY wine person. I have not had the exposure. One of these days we should ski together up at the Bush. I know you are up there a ton when I am up there.

cdskier

So funny. That is a staple for us all the time. Some times we do it with pasta. Orecchiette or Gemmelli. I am finding that you are I have very similar tastes although I am not a NY wine person. I have not had the exposure. One of these days we should ski together up at the Bush. I know you are up there a ton when I am up there.

Hah! I was originally going to do it with Orecchiette and then realized I just did it that way a few months ago so decided to go the risotto route instead this time. And yes, we should try to ski together up at SB next season.

BenedictGomez

Got these for passing some coronavirus stay-at-home time.

Puzzles.jpg

kingslug

I swore I wouldn't spend money as my check has been cut...but that didn't last. Buying all the woodworking tools I've been wanting.
One thing happens for sure when you quit drinking...you have a lot of energy to spend on things. I'm up at 6AM and in my shop by 7AM my days off. Thankfully I can do all my cutting on the outside bottom deck...still need to build a dust control system..but thats easy.

Hawk

I saw a few dust control systems for sale on Craigs list a couple months ago. Might be too big for residential use but they were going cheap at under $1000. It's all about the fan and filter system unit.

kingslug

You can make a system out of a shop vac or I have a central house vac that we never use..all you do is add a cyclone separator inline with it and your good to go. The cyclone is about 50 to 100 bucks. Then you can get fancy with PVC pipe and hoses.

Hawk

I need to do this also. I have really bad allergy attaches after working the the basement on my carpentry projects. The dust kills me.

teleo

Buying all the woodworking tools I've been wanting.

Have been making a lot of sawdust with the router I had delivered. But ALL of the tools I want would be WAY to expensive.

Fun hobby to kill some time with and sometimes create something useful.

kingslug

You can make a lot of stuff with some basic tools..its how you set them up. I have a 600 dollar table saw but with a 200 miter fence and I set up the saw to be precise to .017..some japanese saws, a drill press, miter saw, chisels..and watch a lot of you tube vids.
Just got a new japanese hand plane..

BenedictGomez

But ALL of the tools I want would be WAY to expensive.

Will few exceptions you dont need to buy the more expensive tools from Milwaukee or DeWalt. I do buy DeWalt as I like to be matchy-matchy as well as for the battery interchangeability, but frankly those cheap Ryobi tools are typically pretty darn good. The few Black & Decker tools I have seem fine to me too. For a hobbyist the cheaper brands are perfectly okay.

skiur

Will few exceptions you dont need to buy the more expensive tools from Milwaukee or DeWalt. I do buy DeWalt as I like to be matchy-matchy as well as for the battery interchangeability, but frankly those cheap Ryobi tools are typically pretty darn good. The few Black & Decker tools I have seem fine to me too. For a hobbyist the cheaper brands are perfectly okay.

Black n Decker owns DeWalt.

BenedictGomez

Black n Decker owns DeWalt.

This is the thing too, there's only about 4 companies that make a zillion brands of tools. Toss in a few others and it comprises near everyone. That said, there are sometimes quality steps depending on the name.

EDIT: Found this chart.

power-tool-brands-parent-companies-770x472.jpg

kingslug

You want quality..try Festool.
I've been buying buying japanese tools lately. Just got a Plane and some saws. Now I have to tune the plane. Thats a bit of work.

Oh..and its supposed to snow a little here tonight..first time since 1977 thats happened this late.

Hawk

The thing is unless you are a commercial tradesman and use your tools all the time, paying for top quality tools does that make sense. When you buy Dewalt, Ryobi and Bostitch the quality is high enough that it would last you forever at the amount you use it. And depending on the level you buy they should perform exactly like the commercial tools in terms of accuracy and feel. Now if you just want to have the best and willing to pay for it then that is all good also.

BenedictGomez

The thing is unless you are a commercial tradesman and use your tools all the time, paying for top quality tools does that make sense. When you buy Dewalt, Ryobi and Bostitch the quality is high enough that it would last you forever at the amount you use it. And depending on the level you buy they should perform exactly like the commercial tools in terms of accuracy and feel. Now if you just want to have the best and willing to pay for it then that is all good also.

I think that's a great way of looking at it. When I watch those home remodeling shows usually it seems they're using DeWalt or Makita or Milwaukee and they blur out the brand names, but it's pretty obvious if you know their color schemes.

dblskifanatic

I have always bought Ryobi products and I have a couple rechargeable tools from them that I have had for 15 years albeit the battery packs are much larger and do not hold a charge as well as tools today. Also my use of the tools are mostly for home remodeling or repairs.

For a hobbyist wood shop I probably would raise the bar a little higher.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone