• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
And in other new Home Depot sales rose 25%...I know I contributed

Not at all surprising in February and March my local Home depot was a complete shit show . Hardly any masks , the parking lot was jammed a couple times I drove in and back out . I've been trying to spend more money in my local mom and pop hardware stores and local lumber yard .

kingslug

I buy lumber from a lumber yard..because its..real lumber..
I buy plumbing from the big plumbing supply store..because its real plumbing
now I buy paint from the Sherwin Williams store..better paint
HD for the rest..and they do require masks
The trick is to get there when they open.

skiur

I buy lumber from a lumber yard..because its..real lumber..
I buy plumbing from the big plumbing supply store..because its real plumbing
now I buy paint from the Sherwin Williams store..better paint
HD for the rest..and they do require masks
The trick is to get there when they open.

So are trees not used in the production of home depots lumber?

kingslug

So are trees not used in the production of home depots lumber?

Their lumber twists once it dries out. Plus they store it inside. Go to any lumber yard and they store it outside..yes it gets wet but its not out there for long. They explained to me that storing it inside with AC on is not good for it. Any good builder or wood worker tries to get the best lumber they can..no problems later.

Same with plumbing. The quality is a lot lower at HD. For instance. I plumbed in a water booster pump in my basement using PVC fittings from HD..they split. Found a real supplier..They don't split, much thicker, better quality. There is a huge difference in supplies that you wouldn't know unless you deal with a lot of it. As a Chief of maintenance I deal with it a lot. How about copper fittings, that are oval and will not solder right. Its endless.

jimk

SMH ... why would someone go to the trouble of collecting dog poop in a bag, only to toss the bag to the side of the trail ? What is wrong with people ?

I see this all over too. It's like Dr. Jekyll bags it, but then Mr. Hyde gets the better of him and throws it on the ground.

Beautiful fall foliage photos by CDSkier!

Last edited:

andrejwilson

I have the Sonos arc and it does Atmos but it’s extremely limited on Atmos content at the moment and requires a tv with either eARC or a lossy version of Atmos with just an Arc connection.

kendo

Awesome. I have back to 2011 of the Ravines Meritage in my cellar at the moment (only 1 bottle per vintage though at least for the older ones). I had the 09 and 10 within the past 1.5 years and both could have easily held up longer. I had my last 07 bottle of the Ravines Meritage in early 2018 and thought it was perhaps maybe just a tiny bit past peak at that point. Still impressive for 11 years old for a Finger Lakes red at that point though.

Curious to hear what you think of the book. I'm tempted to read it again while I'm stuck home.

Tonight had some seared hanger steak and shrimp with garlic herb butter along with a very nice meritage style blend from Silver Thread. 2015 vintage and glad I have another bottle as I will love to see how this one ages.

So a couple years later and getting into the off season, so let's revive this thread!

I really enjoyed the 2009 Ravines Meritage from the cellar tonight.

Maybe the best NY Finger Lakes dry red wine that I've ever had. Great structure, well balanced and really drank well.

Here's a write up from 2015 and 7yrs later the 2009 is still a great selection.

Screenshot_20220428-190228_Chrome.jpg

cdskier

So a couple years later and getting into the off season, so let's revive this thread!

I really enjoyed the 2009 Ravines Meritage from the cellar tonight.

Maybe the best NY Finger Lakes dry red wine that I've ever had. Great structure, well balanced and really drank well.

Here's a write up from 2015 and 7yrs later the 2009 is still a great selection.

View attachment 54402
Nice! I have Ravines Meritage vintages from 2010-2018 at the moment (drank my last 09 Meritage from Ravines in 2018 and picked up another bottle of the 2010 from Ravines library a few months after the post of mine you quoted)... Ravines really does a fantastic job and their wines age incredibly well. I've had a number of their wines with some age on them and all of them have always been excellent (ironically was just talking tonight with my sister about the 2005 Ravines Chardonnay I had as part of a virtual tasting early during covid).

jimmywilson69

had a Herman Wiemer 2012 Cab Franc at Easter compliments of my Brother Inlaw. Oh Boy, was it good. Aged VERY VERY well!

cdskier

had a Herman Wiemer 2012 Cab Franc at Easter compliments of my Brother Inlaw. Oh Boy, was it good. Aged VERY VERY well!
Do you happen to recall if it was the standard Cab Franc from Wiemer or the Magdalena Vineyard Cab Franc from Wiemer? The standard one would have been a white label while the Magdalena Vineyard would have been a brown label.

cdskier

it was white label and apparently the 2012 was a great vintage
Always impressive to hear that the "standard" Cab Franc held up so well. My 2012 of that wine was gone long ago (I do still have a bottle of the Magdalena Vineyard from 2012 though). Wiemer is another top tier producer in the Finger Lakes and one of the pioneers of proving that the region was capable of growing vinifera grapes.

And yes, 2012 was a great vintage. Warm weather, just enough rain, minimal disease pressure in the vineyards...so lots of fully ripe, clean fruit at harvest.

jimmywilson69

it was one of the fullest bodied, smooth Cab Franc that I've ever had if not the best. this was my brother in law's last bottle. Glad I was able to share it with him and his wife around the fire at our cabin on Easter.