• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

Smellytele

Too funny! Unfortunately all revolves around a few things right now - covid19, George Floyd’s deaths and its aftermath, hating Trump and defending Trump. Everything else does not matter to most people right now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

can you guys pick another thread to ruin this was supposed to be "Something Different"

Agreed. While having your neighborhood terrorized by rioters, fearing bricks being lobbed at your car on your daily drive home, and being legally banned from attending church are all clearly, "something different", they're not in the spirit of the thread.

thebigo

For something positive in a world of George Floyd and Coronavirus, got an email from my kids freestyle coaches yesterday. They are proceeding with setting up slopestyle and bump comps for next year, also attempting a camp at the jump pool in lake placid late summer.

kingslug

After Friday I'm off for a week. Going to build 2 bookcases. Nothing fancy. Have to get good at this before I start buying expensive wood..which has gotten ...expensive..really expensive. The only way to afford the good stuff is to buy it un milled and mill it yourself. Planer and joiner needed...which are expensive..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.
Yes its 4AM and I can't sleep. My job has become nuts lately. Dealing with Con Ed is mind boggling.

kingslug

Built a new vice for the bench..3 inches of butcher block..fun to drill through but works great..took 2 days to do it but worth it..

Attachments

• 20200602_184446.jpg
    20200602_184446.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 81

Dickc

Built a new vice for the bench..3 inches of butcher block..fun to drill through but works great..took 2 days to do it but worth it..

Looking at this reminds me that I need a bigger basement! I would love to have that much unfettered room!

BenedictGomez

After Friday I'm off for a week. Going to build 2 bookcases. Nothing fancy. Have to get good at this before I start buying expensive wood..which has gotten ...expensive..really expensive. The only way to afford the good stuff is to buy it un milled and mill it yourself. Planer and joiner needed...which are expensive..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.

Planers are very expensive compared to most tools. It seems odd; I speculate it's because the market for them is relatively limited compared to a drill or an impact wrench or a jigsaw, etc...., so they probably have to be expensive. And I dont find many decent used deals on them, though I've been looking.

Jointers, however, for whatever reason seem to come up pretty often on Craigslist & elsewhere for really cheap used prices, IMO. I dont have the room for one though, but when I do I'm going to buy one of the old ones build like a Tiger tank.

MEtoVTSkier

..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.

I don't think that there are too many cheap affordable hobbies out there. I've slowly gotten into re-loading ammunition, picking up a few items here and there as I see a sale or good price on items. Starting to think it would have just been cheaper to buy a new boat instead haha. You can dump a pile of money in recreational shooting.

mister moose

Planers are very expensive compared to most tools. It seems odd; I speculate it's because the market for them is relatively limited compared to a drill or an impact wrench or a jigsaw, etc...., so they probably have to be expensive. And I dont find many decent used deals on them, though I've been looking.

Jointers, however, for whatever reason seem to come up pretty often on Craigslist & elsewhere for really cheap used prices, IMO. I dont have the room for one though, but when I do I'm going to buy one of the old ones build like a Tiger tank.
Planers are expensive if you compare them to hand power tools. Compare them to a table saw or bandsaw and and it's the same league. Consider you need 4 corner post bearings, a 10,000 rpm cutterhead that has to be perfectly true to the surface, and a threaded chain driven elevation mechanism that remains true, with pressure rollers that deliver the feed rate. That's a big ask for a couple hundred bucks.

Be advised my inexpensive used joiner deal (8 inch, 600lbs) involved unloading with a skid steer onto a dolly and then a chain fall to hoist the tables and cutter head assembly. Sweet machine though. Flatten something? You got it. 90 degree edge? You got it. Take off a 32nd on almost any surface? You got it.

My latest used machine score - A porter Cable biscuit joiner for $40. That's another nifty tool.

kingslug

My basement is down a 25 degree hill so getting anything down there is a task. Just carrying sheetrock down that hill is a pain..and thats the lightweight stuff. I don't know how I would get something truly heavy down there. Now at my last job at the WTC I build a machine shop by myself. 2600 pound milling machine..big lathes..500 pound tables. A Johnson bar and some steel dollies..oh and a big Gantry for the milling machine. Everyone was like..how the hell did you move this shit..my answer was always " The jews built the pyramids..we know how to do this"...

mister moose

Pretty much. My introduction was a very cheesy affair on my Dad's Skillsaw that was a wobbly bar and the guide was as long as your pinky finger, with a max rip of maybe 6 inches. Poor results, you might as well just follow the line. I bought an aftermarket one that fits my Dewalt, the guide is maybe 9 inches long and is rock solid. That Kreg unit you listed looks primo.

I'm looking ahead to completing my table project and not sure how I'm going to edge it without a track saw. Make a jig? Make a pattern and follow it with a flush cutting router bit? Just clamp a guide board?

kingslug

Very easy to make..pretty much a long board wide enough for the saw to ru n on..and another board attached to it that you rip with the saw..then you have created a perfect edge to cut with..you can make them as long as you want but have to get the second board perfectly square with the track board.

Dickc

Very easy to make..pretty much a long board wide enough for the saw to ru n on..and another board attached to it that you rip with the saw..then you have created a perfect edge to cut with..you can make them as long as you want but have to get the second board perfectly square with the track board.

Personally I like the 8 foot angle iron I bought some years ago. Clamp it to any board, and rip away. Straight as an arrow that lumber never is. Lumber ALWAYS warps!

BenedictGomez

That Kreg unit you listed looks primo.

I think I'll get it. I've been using a speed square pressed against the saw's shoe, but that's a poor man's solution.

Personally I like the 8 foot angle iron I bought some years ago. Clamp it to any board, and rip away. Straight as an arrow that lumber never is. Lumber ALWAYS warps!

That's a clever idea as well.