• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

kingslug

Perfect. right now I get the store to cut the boards at least in half so I can work with them. 8x4 3/4 ply is no fun to cut down..MDF even worse. Have to pick up an 8x4 peice of styrofoam insulation as a cutting board.
Now I'm painting the whole basement after my miserable sheetrock job. Then base molding..then spray the ceiling..a job I dread but it will look good and its a cheap option I don't need a permit for.

kingslug

Crap..Long 3 days so far. Finished sheetrocking..primed and painted the whole basement. Now putting in the base molding and others. Coping inside corners is...fun? Thank god I have a good lumber store nearby and not just Home Depot.

mister moose

Concerning the " shooting boards". the 4' and 8' guides clamped to the board you wish to rip, I have a couple suggestions. First, never us an actual board, because, as stated, they will always warp. Use plywood or tempered hardboard...

Thanks for that informative post. I have a long piece of scrap plywood I figured I'd use for the base. And I've used clamped boards for a guide before, but if you don't keep the pressure just so on the saw, the cut can drift. I've seen plans for a 2 sided shooting board, where the slot is contained inside the base, guides on both sides so its more of a rail effect. Ever tried that?

Now I'm painting the whole basement after my miserable sheetrock job.

Ugh. Takes me untold hours to hang, tape and compound, and it's not as good a job. If its bigger than a sheet or two, I'm paying a pro to do it. My last remodel project sheetrock was the only thing I hired out.

Coping inside corners is...fun?
That's what painters caulk is for.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

kingslug

Its funny. If you watch a million you tube vids on this stuff..you get a million ways to do things. Best thing I've built yet is a crosscut sled for the table saw. Now I'm going to try to get the fence from 035 out to 0035 out..and add a sliding stop.

BenedictGomez

Is the crosscut sled for people with table saws who dont want to buy (or dont have additional room for) a miter saw?

kingslug

Crosscut sled is more versatile than a miter saw..which I have. I can crosscut any size board on it and it provides a zero clearance throat on the blade..something I have to make for when I don't use it.

kingslug

This is like the one i have..My miter saw is used for different purposes..this thing can cut wide boards..miter saw is 6 inch tops

Attachments

• 20200609_193927.jpg
    20200609_193927.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 98

kingslug

Prevents a kickback from nailing you. I find the table saw to be the most dangerouse thing in the shop. I bought a huge Sawstop at my last job so no one would cut their fingers off. That thing was great. Five thoudand dollars great but it saved us so much time. Before that they were using a little Dewalt portable and trying to cut full sheet plywood. OY. Now I need to build an outfeed table.

BenedictGomez

Prevents a kickback from nailing you. I find the table saw to be the most dangerouse thing in the shop.

My father-in-law had a kickback last week on a table saw and almost lost his thumb. Deep gash to the bone, but didnt go through. I have no idea how the heck it happened, but they're snowbirds & will be returning to Vermont this week so I'll hear the story soon. And he has over 40 years in construction so it's not like he has no idea what he's doing.

I've seen people cutting whole sheets of plywood with a portable table saw...... I find it easier and safer than running a 4X8 sheet of plywood or melamine over a portable saw.

Curious how do the get a straight cut moving such a huge piece of wood over such a tiny saw (I'm assuming the portable table saw is only about a meter wide)? Do they build up structure even with the table saw's table on both sides of the plywood?

kingslug

I'm going to build an outfeed and infeed table out of pressure treated 2x4 and plywood since it will live outside. I just lengthened my shop by double but don't want to create dust hell down there as the gym and stereo live there. I do have a whole house vacuum system that we do not use so I can convert that to a dust collector by adding a cyclonic separator.
I'm still in sheetrock hell at the moment though.

kingslug

I have a big Gazebo that I don't know what to do with..It has power and 2 ceiling fans so..If I can secure it , it could be a good place for a miter station.
The prob I'm having with the sheetrocking is the soffits I made and the corners..and I'm not doing a ceiling so its exposed. A weird situation. ! 1/8 pine corner trim is your friend for this..covers everything very nicely. The metal corner guards are a pain to get right.

Boxtop Willie

Spent my life with rental real estate and house renovation. Do much of the repair and reno work myself. However, sheetrocking is why God invented those professionals. Short money, excellent results, way less angst. Mudding only looks easy.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Spent my life with rental real estate and house renovation. Do much of the repair and reno work myself. However, sheetrocking is why God invented those professionals. Short money, excellent results, way less angst. Mudding only looks easy.

And most of them have a fierce devotion to alcohol. I happened to have one teach me a few tricks after he noticed my lack of skills while renovating a bathroom. Like an old episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Johny fevers reaction time improves the more he drinks . Two beers and I’m in the zone .

mister moose

... sheetrocking is why God invented those professionals. Short money, excellent results, way less angst. Mudding only looks easy.
Mudding is easy. Anyone can slap up 6 coats in 12 times the man hours and sand forever. The pros do it on stilts in 3 coats at mach speed and never have to do it over. What's your time and lungs worth?

Moose tip:
Compound and paint under 1000W lights and get your face in it under 2 feet from the surface. Then in normal light 10 feet away it's gorgeous.

kingslug

These have been my nightmares. Because the ceiling will remain unfinished and theres ductwork and piping everywhere..trying to get all this smooth and level and the corners right..has been a bit difficult

Attachments

• 20200613_063847.jpg
    20200613_063847.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200613_063833.jpg
    20200613_063833.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200613_063823.jpg
    20200613_063823.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 64

kingslug

I'm done. Actually came out good once I painted everything. Now just have to sand down the stairs and recoat them. Don't know what to do with the ceiling..Its huge. I sprayed an area of it white..but if there is even a tiny hole in the plastic tarps..it goes everywhere.