Which of these is like the other? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post

I’ve only skied Pico once and it was only for a half day, but I thought it was pretty good, but Pico really is begging for something other than a lack of crowds that can set it aside from Killington and bring in more customers. What real advantage other than a lack of crowds would make somebody want to ski Pico over Killington?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First off, do you really think you can judge a mountain based off a half day skiing there + what you've maybe read online about it?

Skiers have vastly different preferences. When fully open, I actually prefer Pico to K. Bigger isn't always better for some of us. I tend to prefer more mid sized, old school mountains to bigger resorts. It's a vibe / sense of place thing that doesn't show up on a mountain stat page. It's why for the same reason I live in my little town of 10k people in NH vs Boston. Some of it is crowd avoidance, but it's more the feeling of a small, tight knit community. It's why Wildcat is my home hill. Pico has a similar feel to me.

But as for the skiing product here are a few things:

1. Though limited, I think Pico has better cruising terrain than K. I'll take KA, Sunset, 49er or Pike over basically anything at K.

2. I adore A Slope and Upper Giant Killer as bump runs.

3. Summit Glade is one of the most unique and cool trails in New England.

4. Love the Outpost area. It's a step back in time you can't find at many places.

5. I enjoy the base lodge at Pico more than any of the lodges at K.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing about Pico except for maybe additional snowmaking capacity and consistency.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I feel the need to stick up for Pico here. Only skied there a handful of times but it didn't take long to "get it" .
    -Peak is ~4000 ft (3957 to be exact). Not many others that can ski this high.
    -Vert is there- almost 2000 feet
    -They have legit terrain, good glades, steep trails (nothing south of here in VT can claim)
    -good gladed areas, very impressed by the offering here
    -Diverse lifts and pods- Outpost is really cool, gnomes knoll- need I say more
    -crowds are not there to take advantage
    - Vermont Ski Museum display in the lodge, worth a look!

Worth the trip if you go. The one downside was that is was cold when I was there but it's a big, tall mountain, perhaps I was expecting a more southern VT experience as opposed to a northern one. Hmmm, another thread idea- Northern Vermont vs Southern Vermont: Discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Typo or misinformed snark?
    F & P are on opposite sides of the keyboard . Perhaps he's confusing Scottys Belle flat comments ?

Platty is in no way flat ,just take a walk around the outside of the lodge or walk up from the lower parking lot.

Or then again? Yes terribly flat no need to ever go there

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    F & P are on opposite sides of the keyboard . Perhaps he's confusing Scottys Belle flat comments ?
    Just having some fun with the fanboyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post

Pico just feels like it can stand alone as its own mountain whereas at Sugarbush, I have not once only skied Ellen because there’s just not enough to do over there, especially without natural snow.

I’ve only skied Pico once and it was only for a half day, but I thought it was pretty good, but Pico really is begging for something other than a lack of crowds that can set it aside from Killington and bring in more customers. What real advantage other than a lack of crowds would make somebody want to ski Pico over Killington?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First off I have spent many days just skiing Ellen. I have only taken the SB once and find it a waste of time. I just saty on oine side or the other and ski it.

As far as Pico is concerned I like the layout more than the traverse ridden layout of Killington where I usually have to ski lift to lift because each lift only has a couple good runs on them. The reason I like Wildcat as DH does.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Platty is in no way flat ,just take a walk around the outside of the lodge or walk up from the lower parking lot.
    From the owners perspective Plattekill is almost too steep. The based area could use some flat for more parking etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flakeydog View Post
    I feel the need to stick up for Pico here. Only skied there a handful of times but it didn't take long to "get it" .
    -Peak is ~4000 ft (3957 to be exact). Not many others that can ski this high.
    -Vert is there- almost 2000 feet
    -They have legit terrain, good glades, steep trails (nothing south of here in VT can claim)
    -good gladed areas, very impressed by the offering here
    -Diverse lifts and pods- Outpost is really cool, gnomes knoll- need I say more
    -crowds are not there to take advantage
    - Vermont Ski Museum display in the lodge, worth a look!

Worth the trip if you go. The one downside was that is was cold when I was there but it's a big, tall mountain, perhaps I was expecting a more southern VT experience as opposed to a northern one. Hmmm, another thread idea- Northern Vermont vs Southern Vermont: Discuss...
    I love pico too, but you you may be forgetting about another place further south in soVT with steeps and trees and legit terrain

Don’t get me wrong, Magic is great. Really the “Mad River” of southern Vermont (Ive heard that since the 80s). The difference is that for those that know, or at least pay attention, Magic has the reputation of the cool funky mountain with good terrain that Stratton/Bromley/Okemo just don’t have. Pico suffers from being chronically under-rated and thus somewhat unknown. And when you get there you see it’s 2000’ vert and summits at just shy of 4000’. Who knew? (Magic is 1500 vert but the summit does not even reach 3000’).

Pico gets a lot more snow than magic.

Don’t get me wrong, Magic is great. Really the “Mad River” of southern Vermont (Ive heard that since the 80s). The difference is that for those that know, or at least pay attention, Magic has the reputation of the cool funky mountain with good terrain that Stratton/Bromley/Okemo just don’t have. Pico suffers from being chronically under-rated and thus somewhat unknown. And when you get there you see it’s 2000’ vert and summits at just shy of 4000’. Who knew? (Magic is 1500 vert but the summit does not even reach 3000’).
    yeah, I agree with you on everything except this line

And yes, magic gets less snow......much less sometimes

Thread Information