• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which of these is like the other?

EPB

I've thought about starting a thread like this for a few days so we can discuss/debate something other than politics. Then, it sorta came up in the Saddleback thread...

Almost all of us have some blind spots in our lists of eastern ski areas we've visited. It's impossible to know exactly how a place is going to ski/feel until you see it for yourself, but certainly some places are more similar than others. It is possible to say that for example, Saddleback feels more like Burke than it does Sugarloaf. Or perhaps, Saddleback feels like a combination of a few places.

I've always wondered what it's like to ski at Magic and Whiteface, as I've never been to either. Does anyone have some good comparisons they can make to other eastern areas to describe what these places are like?

Any others that people are curious about?

danimals

I’m pretty well traveled and I will say whiteface is like no other. It’s huge, but only vertically. You really end up in the same couple spots no matter which trails you take. But something at whiteface I’ve never experienced elsewhere in the East (sugarloaf may be similar) is the feeling of exposure. Especially at the summit. The trees are super short, sometimes your taller than they are. And the views towards lake placid coming down parons run are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPB

I’m pretty well traveled and I will say whiteface is like no other. It’s huge, but only vertically. You really end up in the same couple spots no matter which trails you take. But something at whiteface I’ve never experienced elsewhere in the East (sugarloaf may be similar) is the feeling of exposure. Especially at the summit. The trees are super short, sometimes your taller than they are. And the views towards lake placid coming down parons run are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my head, it seems similar to Cannon. Have you guys been there?

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

I always thought magic was alot like castlerock area of sugarbush. With less snow. and lower elevation. and further south.

gregnye

Magic is like a smaller Smuggler's Notch

Sunday River is the Killington of Maine (finally got up there this year, can confirm).

Jay Peak is a better, less icy/better snow/better glades version of Cannon

Last edited:

gregnye

Never been to Cannon. It's tough for me to ski NH as the VT areas are the same distance or closer to me.

If you're coming from super far away cannon may not be worth going to. The mountain is too unpredictable. Every time I try to catch fresh snow there, it's blown off the mountain or completely icy. I actually have more luck at Wildcat when it comes to catching powder days.

Finally got a great day at Cannon this year with spring conditions.

Edd

Sunapee and Gunstock are similar in size and vert and have great views of nearby large lakes. For some reason, NH kills it with views from ski area summits in a way that VT and ME do not.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you're coming from super far away cannon may not be worth going to. The mountain is too unpredictable. Every time I try to catch fresh snow there, it's blown off the mountain or completely icy. I actually have more luck at Wildcat when it comes to catching powder days.

Finally got a great day at Cannon this year with spring conditions.
Agreed that you are likely to find better snow at Wildcat.

Cannons reputation for inconsistent and often icy conditions is likely why it gets compared to WF. Similar reputations

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Never been to flattekill. Looks like most of its advanced terrain are characterless boulevards straight down the mountain. Do the trees need to be in play to make it interesting?

gregnye

For some reason, NH kills it with views from ski area summits in a way that VT and ME do not.

I agree. In NH you feel like you are actually in the mountains. You get to ski while looking at other mountains, lakes and rock formations. In Vermont your view is usually just rolling hills and farmland--which is nice, but to me I like NH better.

jimk

I've thought about starting a thread like this for a few days so we can discuss/debate something other than politics. Then, it sorta came up in the Saddleback thread...

Almost all of us have some blind spots in our lists of eastern ski areas we've visited. It's impossible to know exactly how a place is going to ski/feel until you see it for yourself, but certainly some places are more similar than others. It is possible to say that for example, Saddleback feels more like Burke than it does Sugarloaf. Or perhaps, Saddleback feels like a combination of a few places.

I've always wondered what it's like to ski at Magic and Whiteface, as I've never been to either. Does anyone have some good comparisons they can make to other eastern areas to describe what these places are like?

Any others that people are curious about?

I like these non-corona threads.

Random comments on comparing and contrasting ski areas:

Whiteface reminds me of Aspen Highlands, with the narrow but tall vertical. I can also see the Cannon comparison.

Agree that Sunday River and Killington layouts have a lot of similarity, with Killington perhaps a bit more scale.

I also agree that the general scenery in the Whites is nicer than the Greens.

Plattekill and Magic remind me of my original home ski area of Blue Knob in western PA, dang good smaller places when Mother Nature cooperates. Without the trees open, all three are pretty mundane.

Saddleback - I visited Grand Targhee for the first time ever last month. It reminded me of Saddleback's big brother.

Now I have to go dig up photos to illustrate all above...just kidding.

ScottySkis

Never been to flattekill. Looks like most of its advanced terrain are characterless boulevards straight down the mountain. Do the trees need to be in play to make it interesting?

It's better terrain then bell or windham
Don't go so u never know

EPB

Never been to Cannon. It's tough for me to ski NH as the VT areas are the same distance or closer to me.

I totally get it living in NJ for the first time in my life after growing up north of Boston. It took me 6.5 hours to get to Conway, NH last year to visit my brother. Tough to justify without ties to the area.

That said, the NYC and south crowd misses out on some great places further east - especially Wildcat and Cannon in NH, Saddleback and Sugarloaf in ME, and Le Massif and Mont Sainte Anne in QC. NVT rightfully gets a lot of hype, but those six places are all outstanding in their on right if you hit them at the right times.

EPB

+1 congrats on baby
I had not gotten day their at all this season I ok with that
It hard to compare it maybe Mccolley less natural snow. About same crazy busy crowd s lol

Thanks, Scotty! I wanted to get to McCauley when I was in school in CNY. Had one day to make a trip and decided to go to Snow Ridge instead and take advantage of their $15 student midweek student ticket. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but I hope to one day.

BenedictGomez

Never been to flattekill.

Trails like Blockbuster & Freefall are definitely not flat, they're as steep as most steeper trails in the east, and they're allowed to bump-up to boot. If you hate the Cats that's one thing, but I think Plattekill is the best of the 4 Catskill hills.