Which of these is like the other?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Which of these is like the other?

I've thought about starting a thread like this for a few days so we can discuss/debate something other than politics. Then, it sorta came up in the Saddleback thread...

Almost all of us have some blind spots in our lists of eastern ski areas we've visited. It's impossible to know exactly how a place is going to ski/feel until you see it for yourself, but certainly some places are more similar than others. It is possible to say that for example, Saddleback feels more like Burke than it does Sugarloaf. Or perhaps, Saddleback feels like a combination of a few places.

I've always wondered what it's like to ski at Magic and Whiteface, as I've never been to either. Does anyone have some good comparisons they can make to other eastern areas to describe what these places are like?

Any others that people are curious about?
    Ski season is always too short

Magic is like a larger Plattekill.

Anyone who attempts to compare Whiteface to anything will fail.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Iím pretty well traveled and I will say whiteface is like no other. Itís huge, but only vertically. You really end up in the same couple spots no matter which trails you take. But something at whiteface Iíve never experienced elsewhere in the East (sugarloaf may be similar) is the feeling of exposure. Especially at the summit. The trees are super short, sometimes your taller than they are. And the views towards lake placid coming down parons run are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by danimals View Post
    Iím pretty well traveled and I will say whiteface is like no other. Itís huge, but only vertically. You really end up in the same couple spots no matter which trails you take. But something at whiteface Iíve never experienced elsewhere in the East (sugarloaf may be similar) is the feeling of exposure. Especially at the summit. The trees are super short, sometimes your taller than they are. And the views towards lake placid coming down parons run are incredible.

In my head, it seems similar to Cannon. Have you guys been there?

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Magic is like a larger Plattekill.

Anyone who attempts to compare Whiteface to anything will fail.
    I got a my only day at Platty this year (baby at home). Conditions weren't great, but I loved that place.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post

Iíve been to cannon, but about 14 years ago. I donít remember feeling that way, but it may be because the top of cannon isnít as steep as whiteface.

I always thought magic was alot like castlerock area of sugarbush. With less snow. and lower elevation. and further south.

Magic is like a smaller Smuggler's Notch

Sunday River is the Killington of Maine (finally got up there this year, can confirm).

Jay Peak is a better, less icy/better snow/better glades version of Cannon
    Last edited by gregnye; Mar 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM.

Never been to Cannon. It's tough for me to ski NH as the VT areas are the same distance or closer to me.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I got a my only day at Platty this year (baby at home). Conditions weren't great, but I loved that place.

+1 congrats on baby
    I had not gotten day their at all this season I ok with that
    It hard to compare it maybe Mccolley less natural snow. About same crazy busy crowd s lol

Thread Information