When skiing returns - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 107
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    +1



    The hype has to stop. The media is sadly the LAST place anyone should look for reliable info.
    It has to stop but it wont. And sadly with everyone stuck at home with little to do and 24 hour access to news, it's only making the situation worse

  2. #42
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I know its all doom and gloom out there, been following the stats for the coronavirus(I use to do this storm tracking in the winter). Anyway if you look at china, the outbreak started December 31st. by the middle of February companies we starting to open and most went back to work . That runs about 45 days. And today they just announced that Itlay's new cases have been slowing down for couple days. Again there's ran about 45 days. If you look at the United States the first case in Washington was the sometime around the first week of February. If it runs it course like the other countries, it would reach its peak in around the first week of April. Italy death rate was much higher because 3 generation of families normally live in the same complex. Majority of the deaths in Italy are people over the age of 70. The death rate in the united state currently is running 1.3% of known cases. Doctors have even come out saying they believe the infection rate is 20 to 30 times more than being reported. This thing will never go away. Very similar to malaria. There are always going to be outbreaks of this disease but the cases will be smaller and smaller.
    Also I think the media way overhyped this thing. Yes the death rate will be higher than the flu but we haven't built up an emmune system yet. I do think its a bad situation but not as much as the media are over hyping it.
    Sorry to piss in the cheerios but China (a centralized authoritarian regime) cannot be compared to the United States. They locked down the hot zones fairly quickly after cases surged, closed shops, curfew, etc. Not to mention those people had smartphone apps where they had to check in, etc and so on.

    Perhaps if the federal government had gone that route quickly here we would already be looking at the end of it, but that obviously would have other ramifications in Murica. As late as this week the beaches were still packed in FL and CA for christ sake.

    It is possible to not fall into the ridiculous media hype but also be realistic about the situation.

  3. #43
    If things haven't returned to enough normalcy that there's no skiing by November 1st 2020 we're gonna have bigger issues than skiing, the economy, etc. I'm thinking civil unrest, shutdown of all non-essential civilian services, food/supply rationing. You can't have a functional society with 30% of the population unemployed, 10% sick with no where to go, and the remaining 60% stuck in their houses for 7 months.
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  4. #44
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Sorry to piss in the cheerios but China (a centralized authoritarian regime) cannot be compared to the United States. They locked down the hot zones fairly quickly after cases surged, closed shops, curfew, etc. Not to mention those people had smartphone apps where they had to check in, etc and so on.

    Perhaps if the federal government had gone that route quickly here we would already be looking at the end of it, but that obviously would have other ramifications in Murica. As late as this week the beaches were still packed in FL and CA for christ sake.

    It is possible to not fall into the ridiculous media hype but also be realistic about the situation.
    And I agree here too and it goes back to the selfishness out there. In an authoritarian regime like communist China if you don't follow directives you disappear. Hence they could crack down and contain the virus.

    That won't happen here in America where most people just do what they want regardless.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Sorry to piss in the cheerios but China (a centralized authoritarian regime) cannot be compared to the United States. They locked down the hot zones fairly quickly after cases surged, closed shops, curfew, etc. Not to mention those people had smartphone apps where they had to check in, etc and so on.
    I dont believe you can trust the Chinese data though. I think it's pretty safe to say they had tens-of-thousands more cases than they reported.

    I also think given footage that came out early (which was cracked down on) China had many more deaths than reported. And certainly for Iran, where they had bodies stacked like cord wood, so I'm not buying Iran's data either.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    And I agree here too and it goes back to the selfishness out there. In an authoritarian regime like communist China if you don't follow directives you disappear. Hence they could crack down and contain the virus.

    That won't happen here in America where most people just do what they want regardless.
    Our smart phones are already being tracked anyway without us knowing it, might as well openly admit it and use it and other minor intrusion measures to allow us to return to a functioning society

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    Our smart phones are already being tracked anyway without us knowing it, might as well openly admit it and use it and other minor intrusion measures to allow us to return to a functioning society
    Achoo...

    https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard

    to calculate the actual underlying social indexing score we combine tens of millions of anonymous mobile phones and their interactions with each other each day
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    +1

    The hype has to stop. The media is sadly the LAST place anyone should look for reliable info.
    Jeez, why would you say that? You need to get your information somewhere. CNN is better than talking to the cashier at the grocery store. And there's, obviously, a huge variety of outlets out there (BTW, CNN is not my favorite). The important thing is think critically about the info provided and use multiple sources.

  9. #49
    From watching CNN, I'm pretty sure everyone in America is going to die soon.

    Twice.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    From watching CNN, I'm pretty sure everyone in America is going to die soon.

    Twice.
    That's the same story most of the MSM is telling people these days. No wonder the country went off the cliff

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:11 PM.