• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When skiing returns

tumbler

We are the only ones really thinking about skiing. It is spring in the flatlands so it is not on everyone's mind. Golf was and then the courses got shut down in MA yesterday.

kingslug

First time in 25 years im not even thinking of skiing..i have to go into nyc twice a week..pretty much thinking of that..and whats going to happen if this drags on for months...which it will

Newpylong

I will be happy to have the 2021-2022 season start off without issue at this point. We are in uncharted territory.

Killington may be able to open for a bit, but also remember there are sections of Superstar that are well under the typical spring depth. They had planned to make snow for ~48 more hours.

jaybird

.. realistically .. few care now whether Superstar has any skiable snow .. or if it reopens for Easter. At this point, many would simply hope for the possibility that skiing returns as an option next year.
One step .. one day at a time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And here in Maine, they are trying to get them open to give some activity to people where distance is a natural result of the activity.
Maybe if they either say walking only or 1 person per cart.

Either way, I'd be surprised if they allow the courses to stay open for long. They closed Acadia National park today. If there's concern about people hiking in a park, I'd imagine there will be concern about people congregating on a golf course. Though perhaps the park closure is to discourage people from Mass traveling to Maine and spreading the disease.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

So you guys are writing off the 20-21 winter at this point? Seems overly pessimistic

It's ridiculous. There's no way this shuts down the US ski industry 8 months from now. Worst I could see is travel bans from Southern Hemisphere nations that dont have this under control, and even that might be silly to suggest.

nhskier1969

If we have skiing next season I'll be happy

I know its all doom and gloom out there, been following the stats for the coronavirus(I use to do this storm tracking in the winter). Anyway if you look at china, the outbreak started December 31st. by the middle of February companies we starting to open and most went back to work . That runs about 45 days. And today they just announced that Itlay's new cases have been slowing down for couple days. Again there's ran about 45 days. If you look at the United States the first case in Washington was the sometime around the first week of February. If it runs it course like the other countries, it would reach its peak in around the first week of April. Italy death rate was much higher because 3 generation of families normally live in the same complex. Majority of the deaths in Italy are people over the age of 70. The death rate in the united state currently is running 1.3% of known cases. Doctors have even come out saying they believe the infection rate is 20 to 30 times more than being reported. This thing will never go away. Very similar to malaria. There are always going to be outbreaks of this disease but the cases will be smaller and smaller.
Also I think the media way overhyped this thing. Yes the death rate will be higher than the flu but we haven't built up an emmune system yet. I do think its a bad situation but not as much as the media are over hyping it.

JimG.

Staff member
+1

The hype has to stop. The media is sadly the LAST place anyone should look for reliable info.

icecoast1

It's ridiculous. There's no way this shuts down the US ski industry 8 months from now. Worst I could see is travel bans from Southern Hemisphere nations that dont have this under control, and even that might be silly to suggest.

Anything is possible. Looking at the way the country has reacted so far, if this thing comes back in the fall and there isnt an effective FDA approved vaccine, I forsee the fear and panic ramping back up.

BenedictGomez

Italy death rate was much higher because 3 generation of families normally live in the same complex. Majority of the deaths in Italy are people over the age of 70.

Yes; most people miss this.

Additionally:

1) Italy's smoking rate is something like twice that of America
2) Italy's > 80 population is 90% (Really) higher than America
3) Italy's healthcare is nowhere near as good as America's (spare me an online list with disparate metrics ranking Italy higher)
4) Italy has nowhere near the ICU beds per capita that America has
5) Italy didnt understand COVID19 was in Italy for a very long time, attributing many deaths to pneumonia

Each of the above are material factors.

Our death rate will not be as high as Italy's death rate, despite the media and/or bobblehead TV anchor's with degrees in "Communications" telling us otherwise.

Last edited:

icecoast1

+1

The hype has to stop. The media is sadly the LAST place anyone should look for reliable info.

It has to stop but it wont. And sadly with everyone stuck at home with little to do and 24 hour access to news, it's only making the situation worse

Newpylong

I know its all doom and gloom out there, been following the stats for the coronavirus(I use to do this storm tracking in the winter). Anyway if you look at china, the outbreak started December 31st. by the middle of February companies we starting to open and most went back to work . That runs about 45 days. And today they just announced that Itlay's new cases have been slowing down for couple days. Again there's ran about 45 days. If you look at the United States the first case in Washington was the sometime around the first week of February. If it runs it course like the other countries, it would reach its peak in around the first week of April. Italy death rate was much higher because 3 generation of families normally live in the same complex. Majority of the deaths in Italy are people over the age of 70. The death rate in the united state currently is running 1.3% of known cases. Doctors have even come out saying they believe the infection rate is 20 to 30 times more than being reported. This thing will never go away. Very similar to malaria. There are always going to be outbreaks of this disease but the cases will be smaller and smaller.
Also I think the media way overhyped this thing. Yes the death rate will be higher than the flu but we haven't built up an emmune system yet. I do think its a bad situation but not as much as the media are over hyping it.

Sorry to piss in the cheerios but China (a centralized authoritarian regime) cannot be compared to the United States. They locked down the hot zones fairly quickly after cases surged, closed shops, curfew, etc. Not to mention those people had smartphone apps where they had to check in, etc and so on.

Perhaps if the federal government had gone that route quickly here we would already be looking at the end of it, but that obviously would have other ramifications in Murica. As late as this week the beaches were still packed in FL and CA for christ sake.

It is possible to not fall into the ridiculous media hype but also be realistic about the situation.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If things haven't returned to enough normalcy that there's no skiing by November 1st 2020 we're gonna have bigger issues than skiing, the economy, etc. I'm thinking civil unrest, shutdown of all non-essential civilian services, food/supply rationing. You can't have a functional society with 30% of the population unemployed, 10% sick with no where to go, and the remaining 60% stuck in their houses for 7 months.

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry to piss in the cheerios but China (a centralized authoritarian regime) cannot be compared to the United States. They locked down the hot zones fairly quickly after cases surged, closed shops, curfew, etc. Not to mention those people had smartphone apps where they had to check in, etc and so on.

Perhaps if the federal government had gone that route quickly here we would already be looking at the end of it, but that obviously would have other ramifications in Murica. As late as this week the beaches were still packed in FL and CA for christ sake.

It is possible to not fall into the ridiculous media hype but also be realistic about the situation.

And I agree here too and it goes back to the selfishness out there. In an authoritarian regime like communist China if you don't follow directives you disappear. Hence they could crack down and contain the virus.

That won't happen here in America where most people just do what they want regardless.