• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When skiing returns

deadheadskier

Staff member
If. And it wont.

Vermont has a strong natural defense against massive, large scale numerical, communicable pandemic disease; it's called geography.
Likely so, but are you so confident to claim my suggested state capacity of about 50 serious Covid-19 patient rooms can't become overwhelmed by this?

I don't know that answer myself. I can only report that the people I talk with are scared shitless and scrambling for every bit of equipment that they can get their hands on.

This very hospital I was referring to I helped setup a temporary 8 bed ICU unit last week. I'm doing another one in NH tomorrow. I've got a couple hospitals in Maine looking to do the same next week.

We are the number three player in the business and are getting calls left and right for product from hospitals who traditionalky use the two top players because those companies have no equipment left in inventory to sell.

It will be months before the manufacturing capacity of the big players in the industry can catch up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Someone else commented earlier (either in this thread or another one today) something along the lines of "you can think the media is over-hyping things and also think this needs to be taken seriously". I agree with that statement and line of thinking. I still think there are many people that don't take this seriously enough. I also think the media is nuts. The two are not mutually exclusive.

That was me. It's still my belief.

It's rare I see something in the media not bases on worst-case scenarios or unrealistic worst-case modeling which we already know is not going to be correct. I'm still seeing media peeps speculating over 1 Million to 2 Millions US deaths, which is beyond absurd.

They're stirring fear & panic irresponsibly, which doesnt help because it's probably part of why infected people from NYC are fleeing to uninfected areas. Cuomo's not helping either, he's very dramatic & saying terrifying things like thousands of New Yorkers are going to die because he needs 30,000 ventilators. The thing is, nobody ever flipping asks him how he arrives at that math, as in another post here I noted how I have no clue how he gets there.

cdskier

That was me. It's still my belief.

It's rare I see something in the media not bases on worst-case scenarios or unrealistic worst-case modeling which we already know is not going to be correct. I'm still seeing media peeps speculating over 1 Million to 2 Millions US deaths, which is beyond absurd.

They're stirring fear & panic irresponsibly, which doesnt help because it's probably part of why infected people from NYC are fleeing to uninfected areas. Cuomo's not helping either, he's very dramatic & saying terrifying things like thousands of New Yorkers are going to die because he needs 30,000 ventilators. The thing is, nobody ever flipping asks him how he arrives at that math, as in another post here I noted how I have no clue how he gets there.

Fully agree with your comments here. Would be nice if the media would stick with reporting simply facts. But I guess that doesn't sell enough ads...

BenedictGomez

Likely so, but are you so confident to claim my suggested state capacity of about 50 serious Covid-19 patient rooms can't become overwhelmed by this?

YES!

Let's do the math, and intentionally make it unrealistically bad. You approximated pop. @ 600k, let's go higher with the real pop. of 623k.

NYC pop. is exactly 8M more at 8,623,000. As of today, they have 21,393 cases, or 1 in 403 people.

It we extract that 1 in 403 people to Vermont, which is RIDICULOUS because people in VT dont all live on top of one another a few miles apart like in NYC, but whatever, I'm doing this to show the silliness of the math.

You get 623,000 / 403 = 1,553 COVID19+ Vermonters.

They say just slightly less than 5% will need ICU (we'll go with 5%), and that's 5% of 1,553 = 78 ICU patients

Last edited:

icecoast1

This virus isnt going anywhere until an effective vaccine is developed. Best case scenario for that is the end of this year. We supposed to just hide in our homes until then, or maybe longer?

BenedictGomez

Fully agree with your comments here. Would be nice if the media would stick with reporting simply facts. But I guess that doesn't sell enough ads...

Would be nice if someone in the media has the balls to raise their hand and say, "Governor Cuomo, for a week now you've been saying NYC will very soon need 30,000 ventilators, or thousands of New Yorkers will soon die. What basis or who's model are you using for that math?"

FYI, for 30,000 vents you need 7% of NYC's 8.63M population to have COVID19, which is 600,000, or about 580,000 more NYC residents than have coronavirus today. And technically, you need quite a bit MORE than that figure because not all 30,000 will simultaneously be in use, as once someone comes off vent (or dies) the machine can be reused.

deadheadskier

Staff member
YES!

Let's do the math, and intentionally make it unrealistically bad. You approximated pop. @ 600k, let's go higher with the real pop. of 623k.

NYC pop. is exactly 8M more at 8,623,000. As of today, they have 21,393 cases, or 1 in 403 people.

It we extract that 1 in 403 people to Vermont, which is RIDICULOUS because people in VT dont all live on top of one another a few miles apart like in NYC, but whatever, I'm doing this to show the silliness of the math.

You get 623,000 / 403 = 1,553 COVID19+ Vermonters.

They say just slightly less than 5% will need ICU (we'll go with 5%), and that's 5% of 1,553 = 78 ICU patients

As of today there are 158 COVID+ Vermonters, so we can assume something like maybe 8 or 10 need ICU rooms.

I'm tired, so if I'm not following your math correctly, apologies. But I said VT has a capacity of about 50 ICU patients. You just said they could reach 78. That's a problem that will result in rationed care, which was the point I was making. The caregivers in VT are concerned with limited capacity.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Also, one thing I want to clarify here BG is I hope you are using the term ICU loosely when calculating a medical facilitily's need for Vents. Vents are used all over a hospital, not just in the ICU.

VTKilarney

Vermont’s latest modeling shows just barely enough hospital beds and not quite enough ventilators. (Don’t ask me how I know.)

With a forecasted peak at the end of April, there is time to get the ventilators.

Overall, Vermont is in pretty good shape.

BenedictGomez

I'm tired, so if I'm not following your math correctly, apologies. But I said VT has a capacity of about 50 ICU patients. You just said they could reach 78. That's a problem that will result in rationed care, which was the point I was making. The caregivers in VT are concerned with limited capacity.

No, I used outrageously silly numbers as if all 600k+ Vermonters lived right on top of one another like they're in one big city, and even then I could only get to 78. I guess I should have explained that better.

Point is, a logger in the northeast kingdom or a farmer in Chester does not have the same likelihood of getting COVID19 as the convenience store work next to the Essex train stop from NYC (which should be shut down) or the 13 college kids in a Burlington apartment building sharing the same common entry door handle.

And remember, this is all with the current NYC infection rate of 1:403 (as of today), which VT will never hit.

Even if the math gets way worse (and it may), I cant imagine VT being in bad shape.

VTKilarney

JimG.

Staff member

Heh...the days of Walter Cronkite and Harry Reasoner are long gone.

Journalism today is as yellow as piss.

prsboogie

I know its all doom and gloom out there, been following the stats for the coronavirus(I use to do this storm tracking in the winter). Anyway if you look at china, the outbreak started December 31st. by the middle of February companies we starting to open and most went back to work . That runs about 45 days. And today they just announced that Itlay's new cases have been slowing down for couple days. Again there's ran about 45 days. If you look at the United States the first case in Washington was the sometime around the first week of February. If it runs it course like the other countries, it would reach its peak in around the first week of April. Italy death rate was much higher because 3 generation of families normally live in the same complex. Majority of the deaths in Italy are people over the age of 70. The death rate in the united state currently is running 1.3% of known cases. Doctors have even come out saying they believe the infection rate is 20 to 30 times more than being reported. This thing will never go away. Very similar to malaria. There are always going to be outbreaks of this disease but the cases will be smaller and smaller.
Also I think the media way overhyped this thing. Yes the death rate will be higher than the flu but we haven't built up an emmune system yet. I do think its a bad situation but not as much as the media are over hyping it.
The only thing I will disagree with is the rest of the world knows how to lock down. Had we taken it seriously and sheltered in place for 2-3 weeks like China and Italy (without needing to be arrested) I would say we would have likely been spared the worst of it. Problem is while some took the warnings seriously many did not and still are not. Maybe what was done is enough but I'm not sure. I hope im very wrong, time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk