• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When skiing returns

nhskier1969

When skiing returns(hopefully by the end of April) Who will be left, will anyone reopen?
Killington and Sugarbush come to mind right away. But what about some of the other resorts, ie Loon, Wildcat. Will they open if they still have decent coverage?

Also I can just imagine what Killington might be like when they open. There are a lot of unused Ikon passes out there

Edd

I’d put money on no. Ski areas need to shore up resources, financially speaking. No screwing around now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

urungus

I would be shocked if lift-serviced skiing returns before autumn. IMO, even that is iffy, given that most experts say it will be 12-18 months before a vaccine is widely available.

icecoast1

Killington is the only one that has a shot but the way this thing is going, that's highly unlikely. We've already seen people can't behave responsibly at ski areas, that place would be a zoo if they were the only ones open

cdskier

I really have a hard time believing we will see skiing reopen in the east this season. Maybe K has a chance if the situation vastly improves by sometime in May...but I think that is it.

JimG.

Staff member
No one will reopen.

If ski areas are smart they will look carefully at their season 20-21 products and extend some price deadlines. Prepare for next season.

Because even if this ends by summer a lot of people are spooked now that areas are closed. And that is going to adversely affect next season's pass sales.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm hopeful Killington will re-open in May. We'll have a better idea come Easter if we're going down the other side of this curve. From a logistical standpoint it's almost nothing for them to open...4-5 lifties, a couple bar tenders at the Ubar, and a few ski patrollers. No K1 lodge as that's scheduled to be demoed. Staff should be there for the mountain biking and golf operations which start up mid-May traditionally.

And as I've said before the skiers will come out in DROVES and the atmosphere will be epic next time they open for skiing (whether that be May or October).

2Planker

Killington is the only one that has a shot but the way this thing is going, that's highly unlikely. We've already seen people can't behave responsibly at ski areas, that place would be a zoo if they were the only ones open

YES, especially since most people at K are coming from NYC or the metro area... Yikes !

Smellytele

YES, especially since most people at K are coming from NYC or the metro area... Yikes !

I know this year is a whole new ball game but when I ski at K in May I wouldn’t say most of the people are from NYC or the metro area. Mass, CT, VT and NH are the most prevalent license plates I see. NY and NJ are sprinkled in.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

I'm hopeful Killington will re-open in May. We'll have a better idea come Easter if we're going down the other side of this curve. From a logistical standpoint it's almost nothing for them to open...4-5 lifties, a couple bar tenders at the Ubar, and a few ski patrollers. No K1 lodge as that's scheduled to be demoed. Staff should be there for the mountain biking and golf operations which start up mid-May traditionally.

And as I've said before the skiers will come out in DROVES and the atmosphere will be epic next time they open for skiing (whether that be May or October).

I wouldn't be counting on it this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see no summer activity until mid-summer at the earliest.

NYDB

I wouldn't be counting on it this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see no summer activity until mid-summer at the earliest.

Yeah, I don't see summer operations going until 7/4. Which won't have much impact on the bottom line of the resorts so it's a no brainer to delay from their perspective

jimk

I'm not overly optimistic, but hoping there is a chance I get to use my senior season pass to ski Snowbird again in the next couple of months.

They've consistently left a small amount of wiggle room in their virus announcements for the possibility of reopening. On March 21 they said, "extend(ing) the suspension of our operations indefinitely. We are closed for now and, while we cannot underestimate the extreme fluidity of our current situation, our goal is to reopen when we can." On March 13 as many resorts were announcing impending closures they said, "we plan to maintain operations through the spring." They closed two days later during the weekend wave when most other North American resorts closed too.

Today 3/25 the Utah Governor issued his plan for the health and economic recovery of the state. He did NOT issue a shelter in place plan like other states or cities have done. But neither is he on the "back by Easter" idea Trump floated the other day.

We shall see. Stay safe all.:daffy:

cdskier

I still don't think people quite grasp the seriousness of this. And maybe it will take someone they know personally falling victim to this before they truly understand. Sadly I lost a 45 y/o co-worker tonight. Hard to even think about skiing now...

ScottySkis

I still don't think people quite grasp the seriousness of this. And maybe it will take someone they know personally falling victim to this before they truly understand. Sadly I lost a 45 y/o co-worker tonight. Hard to even think about skiing now...

I very sorry about that
I unfortunately agree with u

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sorry to hear that. :(

Did they have existing health issues that you knew of?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

Condolences, your story will sadly be repeated often in the next several months. God help us all. Skiing seems so trivial at this point, embarrassingly so.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app