The first permanent closure in NE - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Iím surprised they didnít pull the plug on Otis first. I guess that Blandford costs more to operate. I understand why this happened, but itís really unfortunate. Itís not as much that Iím worried about Blandford, but itís more about me worrying about a trend that could come with smaller ski areas. Iím thinking of Whaleback, Tenney, Hermon, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Blandford cost much more to operate due to size, condition of equipment, snowmaking capacity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    I don’t get the hostility... if Butternut hadn’t purchased Blandford, it would have closed in 2017 instead of today.
    Very true, according to NESH, they spent a lot of money fixing the neglected lifts , renovating a neglected Lodge and putting two snowcats in and fixing the leaking snow-making system. And the club membership dwindled significantly. I'm not sure of their market, I guess east to Springfield area. I didn't see much advertising however I would see butternuts& catamounts

I I thought the trail system made the most of the mountain it was actually quite interesting. It's too bad ,maybe they'll sell it.
    Snowflakes matter

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    That is a shame for the locals but I have no sympathy for ownership (Butternut). Apparently they purchased Windham's old Wonderama triple so it's not like no money is there. But you can't say that you're there to support a smaller ski hill and then be not willing to take a loss on it (especially in a season like this) while the flagship property is still getting new toys. Especially after only operating two seasons.

It's a shame because the club sold to Butternut so it could continue operating Blanford because the club could no longer do so. That's what's real crappy about what Butternut is doing. I hope they sell it back to some members for a fraction of what they paid for.
    This tells the story of the improvement Butternut made and why. Sad to see feeder hills go away. I wonder if that is because people have an appetite for driving further for bigger places and less of an appetites to ski more frequently on shorter runs closer to home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandford_Ski_Area

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information