• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

thetrailboss

Staff member
A seasons pass is an exchange.

The mountain gets your money up front, and you get a CHANCE at a cost/day that is lower than the walk up rate.

It's not a guarantee.

It could rain all season. You could lose your job. Your could get sick. You could die.

For something out of the mountain's control, they don't owe you anything.

They could choose to do something, for a marketing advantage vs competitors or whatever. But they don't owe you squat.

OP, or anyone, what was your cost per day this season? How does it compare to the rack rate?

Again, that’s not the point of this thread....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gregnye

I'm definitely paying the extra $40 to get Pass Insurance on my Ikon next year.

There's no telling when this COVID-19 thing will end. And even if it ends, I expect there to be a second wave next winter.

On that note, I'm sure the lawyers of IKON and EPIC right now are re-writing the pass insurance fine print for next year so that people can't be refunded if COVID-19 continues. I mean the insurance industry motto is "pay us, then when you need a refund we'll tell you why your payment doesn't cover anything".

icecoast1

There's no telling when this COVID-19 thing will end. And even if it ends, I expect there to be a second wave next winter.

On that note, I'm sure the lawyers of IKON and EPIC right now are re-writing the pass insurance fine print for next year so that people can't be refunded if COVID-19 continues. I mean the insurance industry motto is "pay us, then when you need a refund we'll tell you why your payment doesn't cover anything".

Or you can just wait til the fall (pay a slightly higher price) and see where this goes before spending hundreds or thousands on passes. The beauty of the free market.

fbrissette

Jay Peak offers a no-questions-asked refund till October 1st. You can therfore lock in the best rate and wait and see.

The end will be in sight when there is a widely available vaccine or when at least 60% of the population has been infected, which ever comes first.

Zermatt

Pass insurance would not cover this, not in the past not now. If you got sick and couldn't ski pass insurance might help. If the resort closes pass insurance does not protect you.

Your jab at the insurance industry indicates you've been burned before for not fully understanding what is not covered.

VTKilarney

Burke offered a $200 credit to passholders; $50 credit for those who had other products.

Huh?

From their website: IF YOUR HOUSEHOLD PASS PURCHASE LAST YEAR WAS $489 OR MORE YOU WILL RECEIVE A $100 CREDIT. ALL OTHER PASS PURCHASES WILL RECEIVE A $50 CREDIT.

Zermatt

Huh?

From their website: IF YOUR HOUSEHOLD PASS PURCHASE LAST YEAR WAS $489 OR MORE YOU WILL RECEIVE A $100 CREDIT. ALL OTHER PASS PURCHASES WILL RECEIVE A $50 CREDIT.

Seems very fair and generous to me considering they legally obligated to $0 worth of credit.

Zermatt

Not suggesting any suggestions.

For Ikon I don't expect any sort of credit, but would happily accept.

But if they want me to buy one for next season they are basically going to have to escrow my money until November with a refund period if this isn't under control. Or give me a huge discount with no guarantees.

The days of prepaying for anything are pretty much dead unless you are willing to part with your money.

prsboogie

If there is no season then they have to refund regardless of insurance. You are paying for a service and if they can't supply said service then you get your money back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

machski

Looks like someone killed the "are we skiing 20-21" thread. So I'll park this here as our friends in the southern hemisphere are prepping for their 2020 season now. This email from Mt. Ruapehu in New Zealand sounds ominous:

Tēnā koutou katoa,

As New Zealand continues to adjust to life under the COVID-19 alert level 4 and as we head into week three of lockdown, we want to update you on what our teams have been working through and the potential impact this could have on our business.

We have been busy modelling the potential impact COVID-19 may have on the coming winter using various scenarios based on the government's Alert Levels. The worst-case scenario of not being able to open for winter would mean a loss, and an increase in debt for RAL that is unacceptably high for both us and our Bank. The current uncertainty around lockdown levels means that we are currently working on whether it is possible to commit to the pre-winter costs of contracting labour and preparing the mountain, to at least keep the option open of skiing when we can. This is a month by month judgement that we will make in tandem with our Bank.

With the current lockdown and uncertainty around the reduction in alert levels we have paused as much expenditure as is practical whilst keeping the business operating. Our team has made sacrifices themselves to set RAL up for success in the future; a number of our team are on discretionary leave, are working reduced hours from home and have on average taken a 40% reduction in pay as we navigate through this period of uncertainty.

We have also been able to apply for, and have been granted, the wage subsidy. This has allowed us to keep all our current staff engaged with the business during this lockdown period.

One thing that is certain, if we do manage to open for winter 2020, our operations will be significantly different to what our guests have experienced in the past. This lockdown period puts us behind in our scheduled maintenance and, with the closure of borders and some of the skill sets we were going to engage from overseas, it is likely that not all facilities will be operational for winter 2020.

We have made the decision to defer our AGM until later this year with an update to be provided once we have certainty around a date.

We want to thank you all for your patience. We acknowledge that this is a difficult and uncertain time for our employees and all those in our region exposed to our uncertain outlook. When we have relevant new information, we will update as soon as we are able.

Stay safe and take care!

Nāku iti noa, nā

Murray Gribben & the RAL Board of Directors

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

The governor of Vermont extended the State of Emergency/Stay at home order thru May 15th this morning. Won't be seeing anything at Killington any time soon (not that there was ever a chance)

machski

The governor of Vermont extended the State of Emergency/Stay at home order thru May 15th this morning. Won't be seeing anything at Killington any time soon (not that there was ever a chance)
Yup, East coast season is over for sure now. I also do not see California relaxing things enough to allow a June season at Mammoth/Tahoe either (even with Mammoth getting another 4 feet this week). I think we all pray that Oct/Nov 2020 will be able to open the next season. As I posted above, the NZ 2020 (for us summer) season is looking cery doubtful as of now as well. Have to assume the Australlia/South America areaas are in a similar situation.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

Looking ahead seems like the lift options at some ski areas will prove better than others in a post-pandemic world. With open chairlifts being better than gondolas and trams.

For example, the only way to access Revelstoke is via gondola which could be limited to families or known groups only. A single might have to ride by themselves. At Revelstoke really only an issue in the morning.

Europe would be the worst with the widespread use of trams. 180 person trams could be reduced to 10 people.

Mad River Glen will obviously have no issues.

BenedictGomez

That seems rather extreme given what models suggest of COVID19 in Vermont right now, and those models have been way too aggressive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That seems rather extreme given what models suggest of COVID19 in Vermont right now, and those models have been way too aggressive.
I think it's more designed to keep people from out of state away than fear of local conditions and fear of native virus spread.

I just ran into an issue today with trying to find lodging next week for some subcontractors I have booked for a hospital project up there. None of the major search engines have any listings open in the northern half of the state. I found one Marriott and one Hilton property open in Burlington, but that's about 50 miles away from where this crew is working for us.

Until there is great improvement in NYC and Boston, I imagine ME, NH and VT will remain closed up. Might possibly be well into June. Tourism season doesn't really get going until school lets out. My guess is they are hopeful to be back up and running by then. Perhaps soft opening of non-essential businesses prior. Start with retail then restaurants with reduced seating. Hotels and STRs going last.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

I think it's more designed to keep people from out of state away than fear of local conditions and fear of native virus spread.

I just ran into an issue today with trying to find lodging next week for some subcontractors I have booked for a hospital project up there. None of the major search engines have any listings open in the northern half of the state. I found one Marriott and one Hilton property open in Burlington, but that's about 50 miles away from where this crew is working for us.

Until there is great improvement in NYC and Boston, I imagine ME, NH and VT will remain closed up. Might possibly be well into June. Tourism season doesn't really get going until school lets out. My guess is they are hopeful to be back up and running by then. Perhaps soft opening of non-essential businesses prior. Start with retail then restaurants with reduced seating. Hotels and STRs going last.

You can't legally book lodging or rent properties in VT as part of the governor's orders. Police were going around making sure places were shut. But certain people are exempt, you may be part of that group

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can't legally book lodging or rent properties in VT as part of the governor's orders. Police were going around making sure places were shut. But certain people are exempt, you may be part of that group
Military and healthcare are exempt from the ban including vendors for the hospitals.