• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

drjeff

They're not going to allow mass gatherings for a while. That will prevent Killington from opening before next season, providing they would even want to. That place would be a zoo.

Exactly. Additionally I doubt that Killington in no way will take any actions right now that would likely lead to a large number of out of state license plates showing up.

My hunch is that the road block signs are staying up, short of maybe a guard to allow construction workers and related work trucks through during the day, until Superstar melts out and/or some significant developments in treatments or vaccines for COVID-19 happens

slatham

It seems pretty obvious to me that large gatherings will be banned through at least the summer. There are rumors in Britain that pubs may be closed through the end of the year. If we see a second wave in the United States, don't be surprised if ski area bars are forced to close for at least part of next season.

Yes, and if Killington were to open it would be the mother of all mass gatherings!!!

There needs to much more data about the affect of reopening the economy, the proper protocols, etc. That will be known by November (and maybe we get lucky with a vaccine and/or effective treatments) but it will not be known in May or probably even June.

dblskifanatic

Speaking of mass gatherings it looks like concerts will not be allowed until 2021 and major sporting events will not allow spectators until then either. By default, my guess is any ski area that opens in North America will create a mass gatherings in the lodges and lift lines and such actions will not be allowed.

So no more lift served skiing this season I am sure. Sadly!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

EPB

Go to Billboard.com or search concerts to be postponed - you got this!

Check out CBS Sports and look up MLB starting 2020 season without fans

I can give you the links but what is the fun in that.

I see no announcements that concerts are banned until (edit) 2021 or that MLB has given up on fans in 2020.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

It calls no fans a 'distinct possibility'.

I expect no fans to start for sure.

That said, this article is obviously a far cry from evidence that "major sporting events will not allow spectators until then (2021) either".

I'm not trying to be ticky tack, but I was waiting to get into the grocery store and I thought there was actual breaking news being relayed by dblskifanatic's post. This is clearly not the case.

cdskier

I'm not trying to be ticky tack, but I was waiting to get into the grocery store and I thought there was actual breaking news being relayed by dblskifanatic's post. This is clearly not the case.

I interpreted his post the same way and agree with you that it isn't the case. Concert promoters and sports leagues taking it upon themselves to cancel or postpone things that are months away due to uncertainty is very different from them canceling things scheduled for the fall because they are "not allowed". Is it a possibility that come fall those things wouldn't be allowed anyway? Sure.

EPB

I interpreted his post the same way and agree with you that it isn't the case. Concert promoters and sports leagues taking it upon themselves to cancel or postpone things that are months away due to uncertainty is very different from them canceling things scheduled for the fall because they are "not allowed". Is it a possibility that come fall those things wouldn't be allowed anyway? Sure.

Well said and agree that things could end up cancelled eventually regardless. Lack of precision happens, though. I'm certainly not immune. NBD.

icecoast1

It calls no fans a 'distinct possibility'.

I expect no fans to start for sure.

That said, this article is obviously a far cry from evidence that "major sporting events will not allow spectators until then (2021) either".

That's if the players even agree to the proposal of being isolated from their families for months to begin with. More and more are coming out against it

dblskifanatic

Not really a ski resort thing but how many of you have noticed an up tick in traffic this weekend? I think people are tired of staying home! I guess if I noticed it I was one of the culprits.

slatham

Not really a ski resort thing but how many of you have noticed an up tick in traffic this weekend? I think people are tired of staying home! I guess if I noticed it I was one of the culprits.

Today was a beautiful day. We took advantage and drove to a local LI beach and there was way more traffic, especially down on Ocean Parkway. Lots of tourists too - people stopped on side of road and walking up dunes to see the water (both not allowed). We went to a Gilgo and wore masks in the parking lot and walking through the tunnel to the beach, but not on the beach as social distancing was easy.

The time of year and especially the weather has been very favorable for staying home. That first day in the mid 80’s look out!

ScottySkis

Bunmping on humping Wed
Good news for wasschutes ski area local
The hill is giving out free pass as to some essyintal workers

"We are giving away 100 complimentary Season Passes to essential workers nominated by their friends or family!

We would like to celebrate and thank all of our essential workers that have been working so hard over the last few months with a free Steel Pass for the coming season.

To nominate a friend or family member please send an email to web@wachusett.com including their name, age, town/city of residence, occupation, connection to Wachusett, brief story of hard work during pandemic, why they deserve this prize, and if you would like your story posted to social media (photos are encouraged but not required). Submissions will be accepted until August 31st, after which winners will be chosen.

https://www.wachusett.com/Tickets-Passes/Tickets-Seasonal-Passes/Season-Passes.aspx"

EPB

Bunmping on humping Wed
Good news for wasschutes ski area local
The hill is giving out free pass as to some essyintal workers

"We are giving away 100 complimentary Season Passes to essential workers nominated by their friends or family!

We would like to celebrate and thank all of our essential workers that have been working so hard over the last few months with a free Steel Pass for the coming season.

To nominate a friend or family member please send an email to web@wachusett.com including their name, age, town/city of residence, occupation, connection to Wachusett, brief story of hard work during pandemic, why they deserve this prize, and if you would like your story posted to social media (photos are encouraged but not required). Submissions will be accepted until August 31st, after which winners will be chosen.

https://www.wachusett.com/Tickets-Passes/Tickets-Seasonal-Passes/Season-Passes.aspx"

Good on WaWa!

tnt1234

So.....what are we thinking?

places open with limits on ticket sales? Gondi and chairlift rides with family only, lodge limitations with tables spaced far apart?

Or is it time to buy a good back country set up?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So.....what are we thinking?

places open with limits on ticket sales? Gondi and chairlift rides with family only, lodge limitations with tables spaced far apart?

That's what I'm thinking. I doubt ticket capping will be a tremendous issue on all but the busiest of days. For whatever reason most states are fixated on a "50%" capacity figure. For the big ski resorts with 8,000-12,000ccc they're running at over 50% capacity only a couple dozen weekend days a year. Monday-Friday it's a complete non-issue.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Some great detail I found to back-up my above post. I dug through Mount Snow's old master plan files from the 2005-2015 era. Everything you could ever need to know about Mount Snow and/or ski resort master planning is burried on the Act 250 database, btw.

As of 2011 Mount Snow had exactly 4,004 parking spaces.

ms parking.jpg

So on an average Saturday they're just over the 50% mark. Figure 12 Saturday's Christmas-March they'll technically hit 50% on 8 or 9 out of 12 of them. It's a function of these major resorts having so much flex capacity to maximize those 12,000 skier visit days that if they ran at their true maximum capacity they would be totally overrun. And our idea of a "busy Saturday" is really nowhere near that maximum.