Ski Resort Response to COVID-19 - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 112 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Shutting the cams off makes sense when you consider the folks refusing to stay home. Best not to tempt them with fresh snow.
    Just saw someone skiing on the North Ridge cam at K along with a couple people on the Pico cam...guess there are a few people that think the "mountain is closed including to uphill travel" rules only apply to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Just saw someone skiing on the North Ridge cam at K along with a couple people on the Pico cam...guess there are a few people that think the "mountain is closed including to uphill travel" rules only apply to everyone else.
    North ridge area isn't owned by K. If I lived in the town of Killington I would be up there right now. I see nothing wrong with that. If the person u saw drove more than 10 miles to get there then I would have a problem with it.

Except it doesn't work like that. K has the operating lease for the land and is legally in charge of access (and owns the liability).

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Except it doesn't work like that. K has the operating lease for the land and is legally in charge of access (and owns the liability).
    Exactly. Same goes for other areas that lease State and Federal land.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Not true, access is not closed as the bucklin trail is still open. If the mountain is your backyard then making some turns responsibly is no different than walking around the block and K is doing nothing to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Not true, access is not closed as the bucklin trail is still open. If the mountain is your backyard then making some turns responsibly is no different than walking around the block and K is doing nothing to stop it.
    I think he is talking about access from the ski areas itself. A lot of folks don't realize that a lot of land leases to ski areas give the ski area the right to control access (otherwise how could they sell tickets?) and some leases restrict that to charging for lifts only (like Alta). Additionally, a lot of these leases put the ski area on the hook to obtain liability insurance and to insure the State/Feds. That's the bigger rub.

And what trailhead are you talking about? Pretty much every trail organization in Vermont has said that folks need to stay off the trails during the COVID-19 pandemic and mud season.

https://fpr.vermont.gov/recreation/o...n-and-covid-19

The Long Trail System on state lands is currently closed. Visit Green Mountain Club for more information and updates. Other trail closures may be necessary in the future. Please check www.Trailfinder.info often for updates.
    Small detail there.....
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Courts have already ruled that mountains who operate on forest service land can restrict access

Killington's lease only covers the very upper part of that trail near Killington Peak. You can hike Bucklin trail, just not all the way to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Killington's lease only cover the very upper part of that trail near Killington Peak. You can hike Bucklin trail, just not all the way to the top.
    See my post, re: LT closed

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    See my post, re: LT closed

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Sorry - didn't realize that trail was part of the LT system.

Thread Information