• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

abc

Wow you guys put politics into everything.

Just a little humor, don't get your political panties in a twist!
Comedy 101, know your audience.
Comedy 102, your audience need to have a common background (understanding, subject matter knowledge etc...) for any "joke" to get across.
Comedy 201, see comedy 101

Putting out a "joke" knowing (or ignorance of) your audience DO NOT share a common understanding of the topic is a recipe for your "humor" falling flat.

thebigo

Looking at all the webcams this morning, It’s interesting that the Epic areas are/have been blowing snow (mt.snow, okemo, stowe) while the Icon areas have not done anything yet (stratton, sugarbush). Seems like a corporate decision and wondering if it’s weather related or COVID related.
Interesting all nh vail webcams are down, thought it was a corporate thing.

slatham

Sugarbush is (or was) making snow on Jester and Elbow. Only have temps up high so that's where they went. Better temps Monday night with real cold TuesPM-ThurAM.

Glenn

I believe we can roll our passes to next season if we decide we don't want to use them (Stratton). We typically get our first turns in on Thanksgiving weekend; usually Thanksgiving day. That won't happen this year. We're going to sit out until probably late December/New Years and see how things look. If there are still travel restrictions or more hoops to jump through at the mountain, we'll sit this one out. If we skied somewhere that required reservations, we probably would have thrown the towel in already. I get that for day trips, but not passholders.

timmyc

Comedy 101, know your audience.
Comedy 102, your audience need to have a common background (understanding, subject matter knowledge etc...) for any "joke" to get across.
Comedy 201, see comedy 101

Putting out a "joke" knowing (or ignorance of) your audience DO NOT share a common understanding of the topic is a recipe for your "humor" falling flat.
Wow. Between this and your covid hysteria, you sound like a lot of fun.

abc

Wow. Between this and your covid hysteria, you sound like a lot of fun.
If it's between Covid hysteria vs. advocating ignoring Vermont's travel restriction (or making false claim of quarantine). I'm pretty sure the latter is more fun.

Like the college students who party on their first week on campus. It's great fun and not at all Covid hysteria. We all know the result.

But then, perhaps Covid is nothing but a hoax designed by the Chinese to kill all "fun"!

KustyTheKlown

i hope you all had a nice summer.

i've been trying to avoid forums generally since spring. it's just been a toxic year and forums breed toxicity.

saw some 'sky is falling' stuff from skiology matt this morning so decided to come pop in

i have all this use it or lose it vacation time so i am off from dec 8 - jan 4. decided against my typical western ski christmas and instead reserved an airbnb near sugarbush for 11 days pre xmas (12/9-20). allows me to avoid the holiday rush and be home for my lady's bday (12/21) and xmas. I've been working from home since march, so does the lady, and we hardly ever go anywhere or see anyone, so it's fairly easy for us to operate in compliance with vermont's rules.

but... there's literally no snow yet and facebook matt says they're about to close vermont down even harder, and i'm still pretty wary of pursuing personal fun in the age of covid

2020 is a drag huh?

JimG.

Staff member

i've been trying to avoid forums generally since spring. it's just been a toxic year and forums breed toxicity.

saw some 'sky is falling' stuff from skiology matt this morning so decided to come pop in

i have all this use it or lose it vacation time so i am off from dec 8 - jan 4. decided against my typical western ski christmas and instead reserved an airbnb near sugarbush for 11 days pre xmas (12/9-20). allows me to avoid the holiday rush and be home for my lady's bday (12/21) and xmas. I've been working from home since march, so does the lady, and we hardly ever go anywhere or see anyone, so it's fairly easy for us to operate in compliance with vermont's rules.

but... there's literally no snow yet and facebook matt says they're about to close vermont down even harder, and i'm still pretty wary of pursuing personal fun in the age of covid

2020 is a drag huh?
I was wondering where you were.

I have no problem pursuing fun right now but that's all it is, a pursuit. I don't think VT cares about your personal vigilance and sacrifice staying home. If you want to go to VT you have to quarantine 14 days or 7 and a negative COVID test. Hardly going anywhere or seeing anyone won't cut it for VT.

I have bagged my K pass and asked for a refund. I'll ski in NY this season assuming it ever gets cold and assuming dictator Cuomo allows it.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

2020 is a drag huh?
Skiology Matt is a joke among most people with any real knowledge of the ski industry. I'm sure the same would hold true for those who are truly involved and in the know at the state level. It would be wise to not listen to him on those topics.

cdskier

Skiology Matt is a joke among most people with any real knowledge of the ski industry. I'm sure the same would hold true for those who are truly involved and in the know at the state level. It would be wise to not listen to him on those topics.
I loved his whole preemptive post all about how he's exempt from travel bans anyway since he's considered an "essential" employee due to being part of the media by running a ski blog. He thinks pretty highly of himself.